MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arts and Science vs. Health Science? ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 08:40 AM
Engineering cutoff / btech terryboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-06-2010 04:15 PM
Engineering Cutoff/Summerschool question kenvin100 Academics 11 05-07-2009 01:56 PM
Second year science- Cutoff Averages macsci General Discussion 1 04-04-2009 10:32 PM
What is the official cutoff for Radiation Sciences? kenvin100 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 05-02-2008 04:31 PM

wtf is the health science cutoff?

Old 05-11-2011 at 10:30 PM   #31
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydVicious View Post
stop boosting

english=unemployed
saying you cant get a job with an english degree is one thing, but to refute when that wasnt even my point tells me someone didnt get very good marks in reading comprehension. sooo i can understand your hasty comeback

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-11-2011 at 10:32 PM   #32
AlexBatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
English or any language level shouldn't mean that one shouldn't/can't be a doctor. I've met a handful of good doctors who aren't the most articulate type but at least, they care.
people with BA's tend to do well on the MCAT
Old 05-11-2011 at 10:38 PM   #33
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
my friend was more pissed he got rejected with 99% avg
...... LMAO

Kinda glad I didn't apply to health sci.

Old 05-11-2011 at 10:52 PM   #34
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Mo' Money Mo' Problems
Old 05-12-2011 at 09:26 AM   #35
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
people with BA's tend to do well on the MCAT
and which work of fiction did you read that from.
Old 05-12-2011 at 09:54 AM   #36
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
In some American schools, at least, applicants from non-science (actually, non-biological science) backgrounds tend to have a higher chance of acceptance...I haven't looked into Canadian statistics, but I remember seeing that somewhere.

Of course, these students have the required courses in the sciences and mathematics as well, so it may just be that they're generally "brighter" than traditional applicants, as they've done well enough to apply to medical school in courses that have significantly different 'epistemological' outlooks.

Quote:
stop boosting

english=unemployed
Yeah, because the employment opportunities for science students are much better, right?

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-12-2011 at 09:57 AM.

AlexBatt, alh24 like this.
Old 05-12-2011 at 10:05 AM   #37
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I'm always rather amused when someone in say, biology is telling me about their research and they put it kind of like this:

"Oh, you're in math _you won't understand this_...but I'm trying to see if I can excise a piece of DNA using (some enzyme) and put it into a virus genome." which I understand perfectly.

Then I turn around and _actually_ tell them something they don't understand when I say something like "I just proved Dehn's Lemma using a tower of double covered covering spaces and a homological argument."

Perhaps that's similar to why people (incorrectly) assume anyone from a non-biochem background will do worse on the MCAT.

AlexBatt, Mahratta like this.
Old 05-12-2011 at 10:08 AM   #38
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

I've noticed in a lot of schools that english teachers are the only one that give what a student truly deserves. Teachers of other subjects usually just give out marks for free.

AlexBatt likes this.
Old 05-12-2011 at 10:44 AM   #39
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
It's true.

The common misconception is the MCAT is a knowledge test. It's not. Its a critical thinking test in the language of science and what the hell VR is supposed to be.

The MCAT definitely benefits Hummers, because half of the questions are geared towards tricking a science student, since that's the main audience. Plus, and I know this is for sure true of History major in particular having taken some of their courses, they've spent their entire university career doing things like being suspicious of the speaker, evaluating purpose, making arguments. Exactly the skill set you want when your dealing with a test that will pull every trick in the book to screw you up.

Last edited by britb : 05-12-2011 at 10:55 AM.

gggggg says thanks to britb for this post.

AlexBatt likes this.
Old 05-12-2011 at 04:16 PM   #40
kimaa2

Liked: 1 Time

I really think it's the supp app that matters the most. I applied in my first year and didn't get in so I went into life sci. I had about a 93/94 average and I was really involved so definitely think it's the supp app that matters most. I would imagine they want to use the supp app as the main determining factor since it's through the supp app that the applicant's personalities and characteristics really shine through.

just know that there are still opportunities for your brother to get into health sci. I ended up transferring in so there's still hope! I know it's discouraging - I didn't have the warmest feeling inside when I got my rejection letter. But there are other great programs out there as well! not sure if med school is your brother's future aspiration but just know health sci isn't the only way to get there I have lots of friends in other programs who got offers into med school. Anyways, hope this helps and sorry to hear about your brother :( hope things work out for the better for him!

RyanC likes this.
Old 05-12-2011 at 06:53 PM   #41
AlexBatt

Quote:
[email protected]

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-12-2011 at 08:16 PM   #42
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
In some American schools, at least, applicants from non-science (actually, non-biological science) backgrounds tend to have a higher chance of acceptance...I haven't looked into Canadian statistics, but I remember seeing that somewhere.

Of course, these students have the required courses in the sciences and mathematics as well, so it may just be that they're generally "brighter" than traditional applicants, as they've done well enough to apply to medical school in courses that have significantly different 'epistemological' outlooks.

Yeah, because the employment opportunities for science students are much better, right?
thats why im not in science LOL.

Serene likes this.
Old 05-12-2011 at 09:56 PM   #43
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I think the problem is a lot of people go into science really narrow minded. They do not see that there are more options than doctors and profs.
Old 05-13-2011 at 01:26 AM   #44
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
thats why im not in science LOL.

Then what are you in? I always figured an unspecified program meant clown college.

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-13-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Eternal Fire, Mahratta like this.
Old 05-13-2011 at 01:42 AM   #45
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
I think the problem is a lot of people go into science really narrow minded. They do not see that there are more options than doctors and profs.
Yes and the thing is... Most of them (I think around 80 ish %) are not going to be medical doctors or professors.

This is why Engineering kicks ass : Most of us do get jobs as engineers.