MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with my OSAP? GregoryVV Financial Aid 1 08-17-2010 01:04 AM
Internet on Campus jo87 General Discussion 6 11-30-2009 11:03 PM
Wrong Address goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-30-2009 03:01 AM
Wi-fi internet in campus?? endearing66 General Discussion 18 07-06-2009 10:10 PM
Am I doing something wrong here? kacey24 Academics 4 09-29-2007 10:09 PM

Wtf is wrong with the campus internet?

Old 11-25-2009 at 01:33 PM   #16
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

It'll be fixed whenever we get something better than SOLAR, aka when pigs fly.

taylojl likes this.
Old 11-25-2009 at 02:16 PM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
The entire wireless system needs a complete overhaul. Poor reception and coverage in the most high traffic areas. Couple that with the issues that using Clean Access Agent creates, and a poor backbone, and you get mac internet.

It would be a relatively small investment to fix this issue, and I dont understand why they won't make it.
Ya, they seriously need more wireless hubs in both Thode and the first floor of Mills. I have a difficult time getting internet in both those places, even when it's outside of peak hours.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if the IT people here are at all competent at their jobs. Most of the systems have problems (i.e. SOLAR, ELM... basically anything that has to do with McMaster). Their wasting too much time with bullshit like installing symantec or whatever the hell they were sending emails out about earlier in the year.

I remember someone showing me large certain sections of the McMaster website where the title was "Your Website Title Here". I think that alone is grounds to fire somebody... even 10 year olds making their first websites know to change that!

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 11-25-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Ender, J-Met like this.
Old 11-25-2009 at 03:54 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Same for me, mate.

Internet is just horrible in Thode and Mills.

As a side note, CAA really pisses me off. I don't even understand why we have it.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-25-2009 at 03:57 PM   #19
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

kinda interesting.

i had trouble loading Google in the SC, yet the guy next to me was watching an HQ video on youtube.
Old 11-25-2009 at 05:59 PM   #20
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

I always get an amazing wireless connection speed in ITB and I think its the best on campus that I've found so far. Specifically ITB 235 and since your in sfrw eng you have access to that room anytime you want. I never go to Thode or Mills now one because its so freakin noisy and two internet connection sucks bad.
Old 11-25-2009 at 06:59 PM   #21
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya, they seriously need more wireless hubs in both Thode and the first floor of Mills. I have a difficult time getting internet in both those places, even when it's outside of peak hours.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if the IT people here are at all competent at their jobs. Most of the systems have problems (i.e. SOLAR, ELM... basically anything that has to do with McMaster). Their wasting too much time with bullshit like installing symantec or whatever the hell they were sending emails out about earlier in the year.

I remember someone showing me large certain sections of the McMaster website where the title was "Your Website Title Here". I think that alone is grounds to fire somebody... even 10 year olds making their first websites know to change that!
The problems:
  1. Money is being allocated more towards expensive construction projects.
  2. SOLAR is terrible, but the costs associated with getting something newer are very high, and sort of working is better than not working (look at the transition from WebCT to ELM).
  3. Many subpages on the McMaster are done on a per department-basis, and by someone using a tool like Dreamweaver or GoLive, so there are issues. But the guidelines for the new look are pretty robust.
Old 11-25-2009 at 09:59 PM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
kinda interesting.

i had trouble loading Google in the SC, yet the guy next to me was watching an HQ video on youtube.
Next time you see someone doing that, make sure to kick them in the head. I have a feeling that the YouTube (especially the HD version) is the reason that the internet seems to run out from time to time.
Old 11-25-2009 at 10:41 PM   #23
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Next time you see someone doing that, make sure to kick them in the head. I have a feeling that the YouTube (especially the HD version) is the reason that the internet seems to run out from time to time.
That shouldn't be an issue. We should all be able to access the internet at any given time and be able to browse without restriction.
Old 11-25-2009 at 10:56 PM   #24
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Internet has been crappy in:
KTH
Thode
ITB
ETB