Wuck Festern

Old 10-13-2009 at 05:54 PM   #46
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
See that bugs me. Doesn't that bug you?

If you're going to make fun, at least come up with something clever...
At first I was definately surprised, but I don't know if it bugs me or not.

I have no problem with swearing (I do it a lot), but it depends how it makes our school look. If every other university has tshirts and cheers like this, then I don't care.
But if we're the only ones doing it (which I hope/doubt we're not) then we would look tacky and it's pretty ignorant.

Personally I would never wear one of those shirts because I don't have any problem with any other school. The "Our Beaks Are Bigger" shirts during the McMaster vs Laurier football game was funny because it was clever and innocent. But I don't think I'd wear a "Wuck Festern" or "F*ck Western" tshirt.

To each his own. As long as we're not the only school doing it (and hopefully not looking like as*holes), then I don't really care.
Old 10-13-2009 at 07:56 PM   #47
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Does that make it OK for us to wear them then?

Seriously people, it's childish.

I obviously failed to read the title of the thread lol

Meh, its just spirit i guess..look at the red-suits..they're proud right..even im an eng and I dont get y we should be so proud to begin with..taking 6 courses and barely getting enough sleep is something im not proud of! Just sayin (im a 2nd yr comp eng, but thas how i saw it in 1st yr anyway)

Last edited by kenvin100 : 10-13-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2009 at 08:27 PM   #48
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
I obviously failed to read the title of the thread lol

Meh, its just spirit i guess..look at the red-suits..they're proud right..even im an eng and I dont get y we should be so proud to begin with..taking 6 courses and barely getting enough sleep is something im not proud of! Just sayin (im a 2nd yr comp eng, but thas how i saw it in 1st yr anyway)
Do the Engineers say things that are insulting to other faculties? I know they are very proud in their cheers (like during Welcome Week), but I don't know exactly what the cheers are.

Because whether you're for/against "Wuck Festern" slogans, there should be NO Mac-on-Mac hate.
Old 10-13-2009 at 08:50 PM   #49
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Do the Engineers say things that are insulting to other faculties? I know they are very proud in their cheers (like during Welcome Week), but I don't know exactly what the cheers are.

Because whether you're for/against "Wuck Festern" slogans, there should be NO Mac-on-Mac hate.
I seem to recall them chanting "You don't make friends with Science" (to the tune of the "You don't make friends with salad" thing from The Simpsons), but that is pretty funny and not particularly insulting, so I don't think anyone cares. I also seem to recall something about a spatula...

In terms of the actual t-shirts, they are pretty tacky. Sure, people are free to wear them if they want, but they're also free to wear socks with sandles. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.
Old 10-13-2009 at 08:59 PM   #50
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I seem to recall them chanting "You don't make friends with Science" (to the tune of the "You don't make friends with salad" thing from The Simpsons), but that is pretty funny and not particularly insulting, so I don't think anyone cares. I also seem to recall something about a spatula...

In terms of the actual t-shirts, they are pretty tacky. Sure, people are free to wear them if they want, but they're also free to wear socks with sandles. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.
Whoawhoawhoa.

I am sensing some unnecessary hate towards the socks and sandals Marlowe and I must say, I do not approve!

Easy with the prejudice. D:

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

BlakeM, Charbs like this.
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:04 PM   #51
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:

Yeah, most of our cheers tend to be either in jest/fun or to be annoying/repetitive, rather than to actually hate on people.. Come on, we don't actually HATE anyone in other faculties, just because they choose to study what they like!! Most of us have inter-faculty friends, too.

They tend to be a bit clever, too They require other faculties to come up with clever retorts! And we totally respect when other faculties bring it and make us work to be loudest on WW!!

No one is going around saying "Suck Fience", that's for sure
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:08 PM   #52
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
That's unfortunate..
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:09 PM   #53
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
That's unfortunate..
That we don't hate each other?
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:10 PM   #54
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, most of our cheers tend to be either in jest/fun or to be annoying/repetitive, rather than to actually hate on people.. Come on, we don't actually HATE anyone in other faculties, just because they choose to study what they like!! Most of us have inter-faculty friends, too.

They tend to be a bit clever, too They require other faculties to come up with clever retorts! And we totally respect when other faculties bring it and make us work to be loudest on WW!!

No one is going around saying "Suck Fience", that's for sure
Maybe the people who wear the Wuck Festern shirts feel the same way as Engineers do when they insult other faculties?

Not trying to be rude or anything. I'm guessing the people who say "Wuck Festern" are probably thinking "It's all in jest, we don't actually hate them, etc".

I meant it's unfortunate that faculties make fun of each other, even if one side is joking. I'm in Social Sciences and I've heard more than my share of jokes about Soc Sci and Humanities and I know how it feels. I don't like hearing about how faculties proudly make fun of each other. :/

Last edited by Kathy2 : 10-13-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:12 PM   #55
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Maybe the people who wear the Wuck Festern shirts feel the same way as Engineers do when they insult other faculties?

Not trying to be rude or anything. I'm guessing the people who say "Wuck Festern" are probably thinking "It's all in jest, we don't actually hate them, etc".
But my point is that there are more clever ways to jostle another group than to just say F them.

We've heard cheers from other faculties that make us genuinely laugh!

Like the MIT Engineers say, a clever prank should make them think "those clever bastards"..... so should these cheers be!
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:14 PM   #56
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I saw a lot of Science kids cheering "You don't make friends with Science", so I'm sure they didn't take it too hard But the cleverness is what makes it not offensive.

(And its actually kindof true, I don't have very many friends who are in Science, when I go to class I go to work.)

Off topic: I saw a girl wearing socks with sandals today. I was almost late for class because I was judging her so hard.
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:15 PM   #57
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Off topic: I saw a girl wearing socks with sandals today. I was almost late for class because I was judging her so hard.
At least they werent crocs
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:18 PM   #58
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
I saw a lot of Science kids cheering "You don't make friends with Science", so I'm sure they didn't take it too hard But the cleverness is what makes it not offensive.

(And its actually kindof true, I don't have very many friends who are in Science, when I go to class I go to work.)

I'm sure there are tons of people who take it lightly. I'm in fourth year now so I don't care about any of that junk, and I don't know many people who believe any of it anymore.
But it really sucked in first year to hear all those things. Just starting university, not knowing if you're in the right program, etc.. It doesn't make people feel any better to hear others make fun of you and your program, you know?
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:18 PM   #59
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
!

Like the MIT Engineers say, a clever prank should make them think "those clever bastards"..... so should these cheers be!
AKA the Genius SocSoii idea to insert something into that ring; that was just pure inspiration! Wasn't it?

But I agree with Micadjems, Chants/taunts should atleast be clever; we spent 3 days making and then hanging stuffed ninjas they replied by grafittying our banner with "Twathouse"(Spray ing over out "Frathouse") and go back to your African Places! :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

ytpos likes this.
Old 10-13-2009 at 10:19 PM   #60
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
I'm sure there are tons of people who take it lightly. I'm in fourth year now so I don't care about any of that junk, and I don't know many people who believe any of it anymore.
But it really sucked in first year to hear all those things. Just starting university, not knowing if you're in the right program, etc.. It doesn't make people feel any better to hear others make fun of you and your program, you know?
Well maybe you should have cheered something back!