MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Humanities Help shay2014 Introduce Yourself 11 08-27-2010 02:36 AM
Any other first year Humanities students out there? :) BeckieB Introduce Yourself 22 08-19-2010 07:17 PM
First year humanities courses NicoleKho Academics 2 08-17-2010 09:06 AM
What do you want from a Humanities/Soc Sci TA lorend Academics 22 08-12-2010 07:59 AM
picking courses for 2ND year HUMANITIES program bella.gucci Academics 2 06-01-2010 11:23 AM

Year 2 Humanities

Old 03-16-2010 at 05:30 PM   #1
SC54

Liked: 0 Times

Year 2 Humanities
Hey, hoping some one could help me out here.

I am applying for 3 separate honors programs to do with English, them being English/Philosophy, English, and English/Music. Lastly just a B.A in English.

I am starting to get worried though, I have about a 5.8 grade point average, may possibly be higher after this terms exams. How hard is it to get into an honors program? I know my grade point average at this point in time may not reflect an honors student, but I am more than capable of working through an honors degree. Also for the English/ programs, this isn't a double major is it? Also what else can I do to help my chances of getting into the honors program?

Thanks for your help in advance.

** Edit: Also if I do not get accepted into the honors program and go for a B.A in English, then try again for an honors degree, would I have to begin again at level II or can I do my B.A and after my third year decide to do an honors degree?

Last edited by SC54 : 03-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2010 at 05:50 PM   #2
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Admission
Completion of any Level I program and a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0 including an average of at least 7.0 in six units of Level I English.

that applies to both combined honours and honours English

As long as you raise your CA up to a 6 or higher and have at least a 7 average for your english courses you'll get into the program
it's not like multimedia where the program is limited
good luck and best wishes!

I suggest going to see one of the academic advisors and talking to them about this

Last edited by x_hikari : 03-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2010 at 06:00 PM   #3
SC54

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-16-2010 at 06:07 PM   #4
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

no problem and in regards to your edited question
I believe if you meet the requirements either at the end of the summer if you wish to take summer courses or at the end of your second year you can reapply to the honours program.
Again, it would be best to speak to an academic advisor as they'll know more about what are some of the options you have
Old 03-16-2010 at 06:39 PM   #5
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

You can also shadow the Honours program and switch into it after you get your average up
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:50 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You can switch programs until you fill out your grad card.

I got accepted into Psych
Then BA Anthro at the end of first year
Then by the end of second year I was combined CSCT and Anthro (honours).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement