MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Humanities Help shay2014 Introduce Yourself 11 08-27-2010 02:36 AM
Any other first year Humanities students out there? :) BeckieB Introduce Yourself 22 08-19-2010 07:17 PM
picking courses for 2ND year HUMANITIES program bella.gucci Academics 2 06-01-2010 11:23 AM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Year 2 Humanities SC54 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 03-21-2010 09:50 AM

First year humanities courses

Old 08-17-2010 at 08:29 AM   #1
NicoleKho

Liked: 0 Times

First year humanities courses
Hello!

I am a first year humanities student. I was wondering if anybody has taken the courses I am taking, and if so, what you thought of them?

Here of some of them:
Philos 1A03 and Philos 1D03
English 1AA3 and English 1A03
History 1AA3 and History 1B03
Peace Studies 1A03

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2010 at 08:42 AM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

If you go to the Reviews section of this site and look for course reviews you will find other student opinions on those courses. There are smaller tidbits about the courses and longer, in depth reviews.

I know I wrote reviews for Peace Studies 1A03 and History 1A03.

That said I just checked those two courses specifically and the reviews area a couple years outdated. The Professors are different so the course will be run differently.

For example I and a lot of other people I know hated Peace Studies 1A03 when it was taught by Professor Hyde but the course has since been taught by other Professors and I've heard positive thoughts on the course.
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:06 AM   #3
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleKho View Post
Hello!

I am a first year humanities student. I was wondering if anybody has taken the courses I am taking, and if so, what you thought of them?

Here of some of them:
Philos 1A03 and Philos 1D03
English 1AA3 and English 1A03
History 1AA3 and History 1B03
Peace Studies 1A03

Thanks in advance!
I took Philosophy 1A03, with Dr. Rodde. It's a decent class, but a lot of the earlier material (i.e. the Ancient Greek texts) are pretty dry. If the course is run the same way as when I took it, there's surprisingly little reading for a philosophy class. I thought a lot of the material was skimmed over too quickly and could have been covered in a much more in-depth and interesting way, but then again, that's pretty standard for any first year class.
All in all.. not a terrible course, but not very memorable either. Kind of a "get to know your basic philosophers" type class. An easy 12

NicoleKho likes this.