MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are you allowed to..... ab299 Academics 2 06-03-2013 02:48 PM
I WILL DROP MMEDIA 1A03 (TERM 1) for ECON 2J03 (TERM 2) ah2013 Academics 2 04-30-2012 10:56 PM
EE coop Maintain Academics 8 07-06-2011 10:02 PM
Is this allowed? aaront General Discussion 32 04-06-2010 06:36 PM
Coop Job? ahmed.work Volunteering Opportunities 1 01-04-2010 11:10 PM

Are you allowed to take one course during a coop term?

Old 06-17-2014 at 09:23 AM   #1
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

I need it for a professional school requirement and it is only offered during term 2 Winter 2015.
Old 06-17-2014 at 10:28 AM   #2
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

You can but if its a day time class you would have to work it out with your employer. I was able to take a night class but a day class was a no go (Which now screwed me over :@ )

bradyr says thanks to MacPack for this post.
Old 06-17-2014 at 10:52 AM   #3
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
You can but if its a day time class you would have to work it out with your employer. I was able to take a night class but a day class was a no go (Which now screwed me over :@ )
It's a night class, but on Solar, I am only allowed to take 15 units (5 first semester courses). I e-mailed the coop department, hopefully they allow it, I need it for professional school requirements.
Old 06-17-2014 at 02:10 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I took a day class (and skipped the vast majority of my lectures). It's really up to your employer, but there's nothing stopping you from signing yourself up on Solar. Just make sure they're aware that you could potentially need a day or two off for midterms/exams.

bradyr says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 06-17-2014 at 03:46 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I took a night class and I didn't have to get approval from the co-op office. Anything more than 1 course you'll need to get approval for. This is based on science co-op btw.

bradyr says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-17-2014 at 03:47 PM   #6
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I took a day class (and skipped the vast majority of my lectures). It's really up to your employer, but there's nothing stopping you from signing yourself up on Solar. Just make sure they're aware that you could potentially need a day or two off for midterms/exams.
Thanks! So did you have to get a course load waiver, because I am only allowed to take 15 units in term 1, but I need 18 units (for 3 extra units in term 2).

It's a night class so I don't think my employer would be bothered by it.
Old 06-17-2014 at 03:48 PM   #7
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I took a night class and I didn't have to get approval from the co-op office. Anything more than 1 course you'll need to get approval for. This is based on science co-op btw.
On Solar, I can only register for 15 units, but I need 18 units to take an extra course in term 2.
Do I need to get permission for this?
Old 06-17-2014 at 04:05 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The science co-op office had me fill out a form and get my supervisor to sign it, before they would allow me to take the course (it was a summer evening course). The form should be on their website. Basically it's just saying that your employer is aware that you will have additional work, and as was already mentioned, if the hours conflict with when you're expected to work, you'll have to work that out as well before the form is signed.

bradyr says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-17-2014 at 04:27 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
On Solar, I can only register for 15 units, but I need 18 units to take an extra course in term 2.
Do I need to get permission for this?
Oh I see where you're coming from now. I thought you were registering in the course in a term where you had 0 units (i.e. co-op). In that case, you'll need permission from the associate dean's office, but it may help to speak to someone in the SCCE office as others mentioned! Just talk to your supervisor first because if they agree, then you should have no problems whatsoever.
Old 06-17-2014 at 04:29 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

The form is right here: Permission to conduct course work form
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scc...forms-you-need
Old 06-17-2014 at 04:35 PM   #11
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
The science co-op office had me fill out a form and get my supervisor to sign it, before they would allow me to take the course (it was a summer evening course). The form should be on their website. Basically it's just saying that your employer is aware that you will have additional work, and as was already mentioned, if the hours conflict with when you're expected to work, you'll have to work that out as well before the form is signed.
Thanks, so is the form filled out after your work term begins or before? Because the form says it can be filled out afterwards, so I'm assuming you should be able to register for the course on SOLAR, and then by the third week, you need to fill out the form.

The form says "By the third week of the four-month term, co-op students who elect to conduct such course work must provide the information requested below"

But SOLAR won't let me register for the course in the first place :/
Old 06-17-2014 at 04:38 PM   #12
bradyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Oh I see where you're coming from now. I thought you were registering in the course in a term where you had 0 units (i.e. co-op). In that case, you'll need permission from the associate dean's office, but it may help to speak to someone in the SCCE office as others mentioned! Just talk to your supervisor first because if they agree, then you should have no problems whatsoever.
No, you are correct. I want to take 15 units in term 1, and 3 units in term 2 (my co-op term).

I want to register for the course before it becomes full :/
Old 06-17-2014 at 04:41 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Oh that's realllly weird. It might be a new rule or something they're adding because I don't think there's ever been a restriction. In that case, start the paperwork asap! But also double check with the associate dean's office to make sure it's not a random glitch or something. And it's good that it's in 2nd term so you still have time to get in. Don't worry, it shouldn't be full hopefully, especially if you're starting early and there's lots of people who change around courses before and even during 2nd term.
Old 06-17-2014 at 08:13 PM   #14
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
No, you are correct. I want to take 15 units in term 1, and 3 units in term 2 (my co-op term).

I want to register for the course before it becomes full :/
As far as SOLAR is concerned, fall/winter (term 1 and term 2) is one session.

I had to fill out the paperwork first, because they wouldn't give me permission on SOLAR to take the course if my supervisor hadn't approved. I remember it being kind of annoying actually, because they then had to go to the dean's office to actually get it changed on SOLAR. It had to go through a few people so it took some time.

If you can't get your employer to sign the form because you won't be seeing him/her until January, then email the co-op office and ask if they can give you permission, on the condition that you give them the documentation within the first couple weeks of classes in January.

Also make sure the issue isn't something to do with prereqs or some sort of glitch with that course. Check another random term 2 course that's open to everyone, just to make sure.