MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Positions: Scotia Global Risk Management Hiring For Summer! Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-08-2010 03:04 PM
HSR Summer passes for Summer Students? aviaf General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 03:52 AM

What are you doing during the summer?

Old 03-28-2010 at 08:15 PM   #46
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

Hopefully working - now if only i could get a job :(
Old 03-28-2010 at 09:38 PM   #47
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Traveling! Lots of places I wanna go, Miami, vegas, nyc, Moscow, London and Dubai closer to winter.
between trips probably working on my business plan for a boutique, and shopping for a location
Old 03-28-2010 at 09:46 PM   #48
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Traveling! Lots of places I wanna go, Miami, vegas, nyc, Moscow, London and Dubai closer to winter.
between trips probably working on my business plan for a boutique, and shopping for a location
You're gonna visit all of those places this summer? I wish I had the money to do that.
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:28 PM   #49
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Face off with my archnemesis: physics.
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:30 PM   #50
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Yes I am visited more last summer, but I have too much work this summer.
Oh and Dubai might be in the winter, too hot to go before october.

Lack of money shouldn't stop you from travelling
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:35 PM   #51
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:

Lack of money shouldn't stop you from travelling

in no way can I make that make sense in my head

katie_batt, sniderj like this.
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:37 PM   #52
Katia
Account Disabled by User

credit cardz

Many students cannot afford to goto school, yet they still do.. how is that different? get a loan or whatever l
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:41 PM   #53
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
credit cardz

Many students cannot afford to goto school, yet they still do.. how is that different? get a loan or whatever l
Possibly the dumbest thing i have ever read on macinsiders.

katie_batt, Lois, ThatGuy, xxsumz like this.
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:43 PM   #54
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
How rude!
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:48 PM   #55
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Lol =)

That typing might have been influenced by the beverage shown in her picture.
Old 03-28-2010 at 11:03 PM   #56
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
credit cardz

Many students are not in the position to get a loan or credit card on their own, as most require either a) previous credit they dont have, or b) a cosigner. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I was the "normal" age for university, there's no way in hell my parents would have signed for a loan for me to waste traveling.
Old 03-28-2010 at 11:04 PM   #57
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Lol =)

That typing might have been influenced by the beverage shown in her picture.
she must have consumed a copious amount of alcohol to have such a high level of impaired judgement
LOL
Old 03-28-2010 at 11:28 PM   #58
Katia
Account Disabled by User

What's wrong with you? its just my opinion you don't need to argue.
You don't need any cosigners or whatever to get a 5,000 credit card!
My Europe trip of 2 months cost me 1,500 CAD + 500 for shopping. I'm pretty sure anyone over the age of 16 can make that much in a year anyway, so relax
Old 03-29-2010 at 12:14 AM   #59
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
My Europe trip of 2 months cost me 1,500 CAD + 500 for shopping. I'm pretty sure anyone over the age of 16 can make that much in a year anyway, so relax
Im wondering what world you live in. The most I've ever had on one credit card was $7000, and that started as a $1000 card (that I got as a student working part time at 19, and had to have my parents co-sign for) that grew over 5-6 years, and the only reason they let me go that high was because I got raises at work, where I worked full time after high school, and had a means to pay it back. A student working a part-time with school expenses can't afford to pay an extra $5000 + 12-28% interest on their own.

And I agree, making $2000 in a year isn't an issue for anyone with a job. Hell, my tax return alone was over $2200 this year. But with the expenses of university, plus housing, food, spending money, cell phone bills, etc, and many students unable to find work, that's a lot of money that could be going to other more worthwhile things. You make it sound like everyone has, or should have, $2000 lying around to wipe their ass with, when it's not realistic for most people. THAT'S what's wrong with me.

EDIT: On topic, I'll be in summer school for Psych 1X03 and either Ling 1AA3 or Psych 1XX3

Last edited by reeves : 03-29-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2010 at 12:49 AM   #60
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Just a quick FYI:
Opinions can be wrong, saying something is your opinion does not instantly make it a justified statement.

ex. In my opinion, the world is flat.

That's just not true, and saying that it's my opinion doesn't make it so.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

The average new Credit Card starts with a limit anywhere from $500-$1000. Someone our age could take out two simultaneous credit cards and still only barely have the money needed for one of the many trips you listed. Even if you include personal savings. The friends I have that are paying for all or part of University themselves rarely have more than $2000 saved. I have university payed for by my parents and I barely have over $5000 saved, making it sound like the average student has access to an easy $2000 that they would have to pay back with interest is just unrealistic for anyone paying for any significant part of their university education, and highly unlikely for anyone our age in general.