MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Mac Post-Grad Students' Summer Jobs lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-05-2010 11:08 AM
Summer Orientation Program Guides new first year students! Lizz87 MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-24-2009 09:38 AM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program for Students with Disabilties MacTrans MSU & On-Campus Services 2 05-23-2009 07:37 PM
Summer HSR Passes lorend MacInsiders Announcements 12 04-26-2009 10:18 PM

HSR Summer passes for Summer Students?

Old 05-12-2009 at 04:11 PM   #1
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

HSR Summer passes for Summer Students?
I was a full time undergrad during the year and I'm taking 4 courses this summer. Is any sort of HSR bus pass included for me?

I'm going to go to the registrar to ask tomorrow because I heard someone say that there may be something.

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 05-12-2009 at 04:23 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post
I was a full time undergrad during the year and I'm taking 4 courses this summer. Is any sort of HSR bus pass included for me?

I'm going to go to the registrar to ask tomorrow because I heard someone say that there may be something.

Does anyone know for sure?
Yep there was an article about it:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2110 9
Old 05-12-2009 at 04:23 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yes, you can buy a 4-month summer pass at Compass in the Student Centre. Just make sure to bring your student card. =] It's around 252 bucks.
Old 05-13-2009 at 03:52 AM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Just make sure you do a bit of math before going out and buying a pass.

I remember when I was taking summer school I opted to buy strips of tickets because it was cheaper than the city bus pass (they did not have this discount back then) because I only rode the bus 8 times a week.

Having a student card bus pass has some convenience factor to it...you'll never be like "Damn, I just used my last bus ticket" but make sure you check the HSR bus ticket rates and recalculate how much you expect to spend...it may be cheaper than even Mac's discounted pass!

EDIT: I'll do the calculation for you, I'm bored and can't sleep haha.

HSR says their ADULT tickets cost $1.85 each, according to (http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...nditions.ht m). To see how many times you must ride the bus to break even, we divide $252.00 by $1.85. This yields 136.2 ish rides...which always rounds up, since you can't take '.2' of a ride. So 137 rides.

Now simply counting your calendar shows that in May, June, July and August, there are a total of 18 weeks, and one Monday...which presumably you won't be going to Mac on that day, so let's leave it out to make calculations easier.

Now we divide 137 by 18 to see how many bus trips we must take per week, and we get 7.61 which rounds up to 8 rides per week...or 8 rides 3 out of every 5 weeks, and 7 rides the other 2/5 weeks.

Now you should note that summer school does not run for most of August...so for that entire month you will not be coming to Mac regularly as you did before...but to get a good deal with this pass, you still need to ride 8 times a week! (Or have taken the bus more than 8 times per week in the other 3 months)

To me this seems like a lot of bus riding...and isn't really worth it unless you have a secondary use for your bus pass (like commuting to work).

So this is situational...but if you're _just_ getting the pass to come to McMaster and go to school...you're getting screwed even though the 20% discount seems like a good deal.

(**Note** Taking 2 busses in a single trip does not count as using two tickets since you get a bus transfer and the 2nd bus is free of charge with an ADULT ticket, even though you must show your student pass twice)

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-13-2009 at 04:04 AM.

hmmmcurious, macsci all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.