MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Anyone know when we can start using our Mac IDs as bus passes? Entropy General Discussion 17 08-20-2009 03:54 PM
Expansion Of Museum Passes Program Chad MacInsiders Announcements 15 08-02-2009 12:05 AM
HSR Summer passes for Summer Students? aviaf General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 03:52 AM
Welcome week passes? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-27-2008 07:52 PM
Parking Passes? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-27-2008 07:28 PM

Summer HSR Passes

Student Summer DISCOUNTED HSR Passes

Discounted summer passes for the HSR will be available at Compass as of April 24th for $252.00 (20% savings!!).

Please check out this article from the MSU. You can also check out the Compass Local Transit webpage for more information.

In addition, this pass can be applied to the governmental tax grants, where so long as you keep your receipts and the physical pass you will be reimbursed for 15.25% of the cost. See more info here.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 04-22-2009 at 01:37 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
O_O

Omg, so, even if you're not taking summer courses you can buy the pass, so long as you show your student card?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-22-2009 at 02:25 PM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Year: Alumni
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
Still pretty lame. Don't we pay under 100 for the rest of the year?
Old 04-22-2009 at 02:36 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Question about the GoBus passes since that applies to me more: If we buy it from Square One rather than Mac do we still get the same student discount or do we need to buy it from Compass?

Old 04-22-2009 at 03:03 PM   #5
nh999
Elite Member
Program: Physiology

Liked: 15 Times
I think the student discount still applies no matter where you buy it. You just have to show your student card and that GO transit discount card (the one that you have to apply thru MUGSI to get) which doesn't expire until Aug for every school year.
Old 04-22-2009 at 03:24 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Yes, technically as long as you were a full-time student in 2008-2009 you can still use the pass this summer. However, as mentioned you can only purchase it at Compass, as that is what the HSR is dictating.

The cost for the U-Pass was 94.80 this year and will be $102.70 for 2009-2010 and will continue to increase. It was $71.50 for 2007-2008 in comparison. You can read more about the fare changes here.

For GO, you can purchase a student ticket (for 10 ride or monthly passes) without the GO Student ID at any location. However, if you do not have a GO ID/do not have the ID on your person and you are asked for one you can face a fine.

The price ($252.00) is the equivalent to four elementary/secondary monthly passes. The reason we get the pass for such a discounted rate during the year is approximately 15 000 are charged for them. So even if all of the students don't use them, or use them often the HSR still makes money.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 04-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2009 at 05:42 PM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
I love this! I had to buy the monthly passes last summer so this is a good change.. convenient too.
Old 04-22-2009 at 06:06 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
It's pretty sweet though, I mean, if I went back to Toronto for the summer, I'd be paying a total of 436 dollars for the four months -- no discounts there. Very worth it. My friends there don't even get discounted passes from their college/university, so they're paying over a hundred dollars a month. We're lucky.
Old 04-22-2009 at 09:47 PM   #9
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans
Program: Political Science

Liked: 15 Times
It's a deal, but not a great deal. Unless you are taking the HSR at least eight times a week; you are better off to use bus tickets. It is only after eight trips a week that you are actually saving money on this pass.

In terms of where this is coming from; City Council was approached by a group of organized Mohawk students who are pushing for a UPass at the college. The return of the "Semester Pass" is the outcome of this. City Council approved the "Semester Pass" for McMaster students in the summer (regardless of registration status) and a limited pass program at Mohawk.
Old 04-23-2009 at 09:12 AM   #10
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management

Liked: 207 Times
I doubt you will be reimbursed anything.

As with most tax credits, it is just taken off your taxable income thereby reducing it. Most students probably make less than the "Basic Personal Amount" so this doesn't affect them at all.
Old 04-25-2009 at 02:58 PM   #11
Ian Finlay
Program: Business

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I doubt you will be reimbursed anything.

As with most tax credits, it is just taken off your taxable income thereby reducing it. Most students probably make less than the "Basic Personal Amount" so this doesn't affect them at all.
But you can carry it forward until you do graduate and earn enough for it to help you out.
Old 04-25-2009 at 03:47 PM   #12
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management

Liked: 207 Times
Yup, but I believe it's a bit deceptive to tell students they will be reimbursed. Kinda like saying "here's a $200 rebate, oh by the way it's store credit only."
Old 04-26-2009 at 10:18 PM   #13
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times
It's a decent deal, but it's not a great one. Like Joey said, you would need to use it at least eight times a week for it to be worth it.

A monthly HSR bus pass is $79. That's $316 for the summer.
You save $64 if you buy this HSR Summer Student Pass, so it's a decent deal. Definately not as good as the deal we get on our pass for September to April though.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search