MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Positions: Scotia Global Risk Management Hiring For Summer! Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-08-2010 03:04 PM
HSR Summer passes for Summer Students? aviaf General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 03:52 AM

What are you up to this summer?

Old 07-20-2009 at 06:15 PM   #1
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

What are you up to this summer?
So now that we're well into July I'm guessing most people have their summer figured out in terms of jobs, school, volunteer etc.

I'm working at a day camp full time and part time as a research assistant with an environmental group and at a day care and volunteering with the Red Cross. This leaves me like no time to rest and socialize but work people are awesome! I think I'm going on a vacation right before school begins with my family - we're thinking of a cruise!

What are you up to?

Last edited by moops : 07-20-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2009 at 07:03 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

You're lucky you found a job. I spent half my summer looking for one, with no luck. I did have an interview last week for a job that starts in the fall but anyway...

Mostly I'm just chillaxing this summer. I just went to Hamilton over the weekend to celebrate my anniversary with the beau :] and I'm going back there to move my stuff to my new apartment in a couple weeks. Thenn, I'm just going to apply for on-campus jobs and review old textbooks to get prepared for second year. =)
Old 07-20-2009 at 07:30 PM   #3
myster

Liked: 10 Times

I'm working at a government-affiliated top-secret research facility in Vancouver.

Ok, maybe it's not THAT top-secret... but it attaches this "warning" as a signature into my outgoing emails that is not addressed to an email from that facility:

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

L’information contenue dans le présent courriel ainsi que tout document attaché pourrait contenir certaines informations confidentielles ou protégées contre la divulgation. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire visé par ce message, ou si ce message vous a été adressé par erreur, s’il vous plait alertez immédiatement l’envoyeur en répondant à ce courriel avant de le supprimer ainsi que tout attachement. Toute diffusion, distribution ou autre usage du contenu de ce courriel par toute personne autre que le destinataire visé est strictement interdite.

Besides that, I'm out exploring Vancouver every weekend and about every other weekday using Translink, GVR's transit system which is much more reliable than either HSR or TTC. Been to Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey, North Vancouver, Whistler (went to the top of Whistler's Peak via the Peak 2 Peak Gondola where they have the statue of the Olympics mascot Ilanaaq), Lillooet and Hope (for the Hope Slide).

Starting next week, Vancouver is hosting the annual HSBC Celebration of Light which is a free fireworks competition between 4 nations (including Canada) that spans 4 nights over English Bay. I'm planning to go to all 4 of them

Just over 1 month left until school starts... Gonna try to get a lot more fun time done before then.

Geek likes this.
Old 07-20-2009 at 07:41 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I'm taking summer school. It's my second term now. =/

Thursdays and Fridays I work at this Chinese restaurant. It's actually quite funny because my Chinese is quite terrible and there's a bit of a language barrier... >_>

After Summer School I dunno. Maybe go to Wonderland again. Then I'm going on a cruise with my family some time in August.
Old 07-20-2009 at 07:57 PM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I couldn't find any work in Hamilton or in my hometown so I ended up getting a job working for my sister's boyfriend in Calgary. It's a landscaping company so I've been spending everyday of this summer outside. It's been nice, getting a really nice farmer's tan.

I've been trying to get as much in as possible while I'm out here. There's not really too many cities around here, but I went to Banff a couple weekends ago and hiked up Sulphur Mountain. It was lots of fun but it was pretty tough, took 2 hours and 10 minutes and then when we were finally at the top of the mountain it started to rain and hail. I now know that when it hails when you're 7500 feet above sea level it hurts a hell of a lot more.

Also a couple weeks ago it was the Calgary Stampede so that was a pretty awesome 10 days. Now I've got about a month to get much more stuff in before I go back home.

Geek likes this.
Old 07-20-2009 at 08:03 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

My summer sucks, lol. I've been working ever since May 2nd from 9 AM to 5 PM everyday, 5 days a week for my Dad's friend who is a web designer.

I spend most of the day in a semi-comatose state since everything they get me to do only takes like an hour or two. I don't get to leave until the 21st of August :(. The only good part is my boss rages at basically everyone on the phone (especially telemarketers). Every time a client calls, he pretends to be all nice, and then as soon as he hangs up he's like "f*cking retards...". lol

At least I'll have moniez when start second year :p.
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:00 PM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

..nothing. :(

I did manage to go to Montreal, Manitoulin, Port Dover, Sauble, Niagara, Toronto on very little cash... but now I'm broke ..the joys of being funemployed.

I need a job ASAP so I can actually afford to finish my degree.. and buy a puppy. *sigh.*

I may be desperate, but not enough to make me go back to that damn college pro painting crap hah
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:03 PM   #8
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I'm working at Career Services full-time, taking a summer course, doing work for the Inter-Residence Council and I have one side volunteer position. I'm also doing Mission to Mac and Horizons at some point. So it's busy, busy for me.

I would like to mention though that we still do get summer job postings onto OSCAR every day. I posted a ton today. Keep in mind that some job postings expire within 24 hours so you do need to check frequently. Advice I would give students at this point is don't be too picky. Do what you need to to get some cash for tuition. Seriously come to Career Services it's there for a reason. There ARE jobs still available and it's not hopeless.
Old 07-20-2009 at 09:04 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I've been off since February
More boring than you'd think.
I spent the last month writing several very very long emails to one of my friends and aspire to see him when I visit for a month in August.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-20-2009 at 10:18 PM   #10
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Can't believe NO ONE said ORIGAMI

Last edited by killza : 07-20-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Old 07-20-2009 at 10:25 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
Can't believe NO ONE said ORIGAMI
I know, it's a shocker. Origami was all the rage last summer.
Old 07-20-2009 at 11:47 PM   #12
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

No job but I'm doing lots of hanging around and volunteering whenever I can. I'm completely broke but it's great not working every single day of the summer (last year I worked two jobs every single day). I get to spend more time hanging out with friends in Hamilton.
Old 07-21-2009 at 02:58 PM   #13
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

I'm working as a summer research student. I'm also volunteering at the Aviary. (Am I the only one who had no freaking clue that Westdale had an Aviary?)

I clean birds. They poop. I clean it. They squawk. I yell at them. They look all cute and cuddly and get that little doe-eyed thing going on. I decide that I love them, after all, despite the fact that they poop and squawk.

Awesome summer so far!
Old 07-21-2009 at 04:35 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I'm writing for three publications by the same company, The Incubator, The Hatch and their Class to Career blog. I'm also about to start writing the feature article for Student's October/November issue.

I was a runner-up for a local photo contest, which was kinda cool. I'm doing a photo shoot for a Stars in Stereo next week and I am booked for some engagement photos in the fall.

I've done a bunch of random day trips in Ontario (Toronto for a few different things, Guelph, other places), and have a few other things planned before the end of August.

I was a LD for CLAY and am either an LD or CST for Horizons next month.

I just came back from a week and a half in Vancouver, and am leaving for a long weekend in Calgary shortly.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-22-2009 at 01:11 AM   #15
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I spent much of the summer looking for a job with no luck, until last week I got a job that I will probably be able to keep part-time during the school year. I have also been working on commissions for paintings, volunteering at a local arts organization and involved in an arts group.

Lots of time spent with friends and family. Not much travelling but I am going to the ROM this weekend!! And of course, starting to miss university and getting excited to start second year in a month.