MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need to retake a class but its full? Theexe1 Academics 2 08-19-2010 11:18 AM
Physics 1b03 lab exemptions for retake cellphone Academics 3 05-04-2010 01:58 PM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM

Your mark after you retake a class?

Old 11-13-2009 at 11:07 AM   #1
monique

Liked: 1 Time

Your mark after you retake a class?
I just have a quick question.
I failed PSYCH 2RB3 (stats) and then I retook it in the summer and passed. What happens with the marks? Do they average both of them or does the 0 get cancelled?
Thanks
Old 11-13-2009 at 11:32 AM   #2
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

the 0 that you got will still be counted towards your CA. the grade of the course you took in summer will not be used in any calculation. it will just be there to show that you passed the course as a requirement.
Old 11-13-2009 at 11:50 AM   #3
monique

so then we pay another $500 just to say that we passed it? (in my case i needed it for my program) but it should at least be counted towards your average because you still took it like a normal course.
Old 11-13-2009 at 12:09 PM   #4
kanishka
winning

yeah but thats how it is....
Old 11-13-2009 at 12:23 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

From the Undergraduate Calendar:

Quote:
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which credit has been obtained a number of times, with the exception of the students in the Faculty of Business who may only repeat courses which they have failed. The grades for all attempts appear on the transcript and enter into the computation of the Cumulative Average. However, only one successful attempt will enter into the computation of credit earned towards your degree.
All of your grades (the 0 and the passing grade) are included in your CA.
Old 11-13-2009 at 12:41 PM   #6
kanishka
winning

thats strange because when I met the under-graduate student counsellor, she told me that if I take a course in summer, i will just be given a pass or a fail in the course and therefore that grade cannot be used in my CA. how can a pass or a fail be included in your CA?
Old 11-13-2009 at 12:44 PM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
thats strange because when I met the under-graduate student counsellor, she told me that if I take a course in summer, i will just be given a pass or a fail in the course and therefore that grade cannot be used in my CA. how can a pass or a fail be included in your CA?
I've never taken a summer course, so I don't know how they are graded. If all summer courses are pass/fail, then indeed they could not be included in your CA. I've never heard that summer courses are pass/fail. Perhaps is just for certain courses?

If the OP got a point grade for their summer course, then it will be included in their CA.
Old 11-13-2009 at 01:07 PM   #8
Taylor

I have taken summer classes before... and they do count towards your CA. It's not just pass/fail (for science anyways). Any courses that you fail also contribute to you CA. So if you repeat a failed course in the summer, both marks will count equally towards your CA but the passing grade will most likely be used for any degree requirements. I think if you take a summer course at a different university though, it can only be used as pass/fail towards your mac degree, and therefore won't be counted in you CA.
Old 11-13-2009 at 01:28 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

The way it works is if you take a summer course at McMaster the mark counts towards your CA. If you take a summer course (or any other course for that matter) at another university, it does not count towards your CA.
Old 11-13-2009 at 08:26 PM   #10
kanishka
winning

i guess i made a mistake....i was reading the admission to second year guidelines, it says that the summer school grades will not count towards the average that determines my program allocation...but it will be counted towards my yearly CA...
Old 11-13-2009 at 08:40 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I saw sally last year. I showed her that exact quote from the website, and she said its wrong. It will not count towards your average, but will only show up as a "completed"