Opinion Please frantic General Discussion 5 05-06-2009 01:36 AM
Need opinion on a design Chad General Discussion 14 05-30-2008 09:19 AM

Your opinion on OSAP

Old 07-19-2009 at 10:42 AM   #1
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Your opinion on OSAP
I filled out my OSAP application this year. I'm 21 years old and going into fourth year. Is it just me or does it seem silly to anyone else that I still need my parents to fill out parts of my application and sign off for me?

I understand it's because I haven't been out of high school for 4 years yet, but I'm 21 and going into fourth year.. I don't know - it just seems odd to me. Do they assume that most people are living under their parents roof for all of their university career?

I could unerstand having your parents sign off in first year, but I think it's a bit much in fourth year .. What do you think?
Old 07-19-2009 at 10:48 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Personally, I don't have OSAP so I don't know too much about it, but don't they base how much they give you on how much your parents make? I think they assume that most parents are in control of paying for their son or daughter's education.
Old 07-19-2009 at 11:04 AM   #3
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Personally, I don't have OSAP so I don't know too much about it, but don't they base how much they give you on how much your parents make? I think they assume that most parents are in control of paying for their son or daughter's education.
Up until you have been out of highschool for four years, they ask how much money your parents make and your parents have to sign the forms. They base it on your parents income and your income.

Once you have been out of highschool for four years, they don't ask for any information about your parents.

I think it's silly to assume parents pay for tuition - especially in upper years. Your application asks you what you will pay for and asks you to estimate how much everything will cost.

It all just doesn't make sense to me. I pay for everything myself (housing, tuition, books, groceries, etc) and I only make like $6000 to $7000 a year. But since my dad makes a lot of money (even though he doesn't pay for anything), OSAP will only give me $200.
Old 07-19-2009 at 11:41 AM   #4
Ivan Q.

Well OSAP works based on financial need... so I'm assuming that they think that if worse comes to worse, your parents can always help pay for your education if money is the only issue. Compare this to someone who is in financial need (with their parents making hardly anything), then money would be the biggest factor to getting a post secondary education.
Old 07-19-2009 at 11:56 AM   #5
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
Well OSAP works based on financial need... so I'm assuming that they think that if worse comes to worse, your parents can always help pay for your education if money is the only issue. Compare this to someone who is in financial need (with their parents making hardly anything), then money would be the biggest factor to getting a post secondary education.
Unfortunately for some people (like me), this isn't always the case. Just because someone's parents make a lot of money, doesn't mean they will give it to you for school.

I don't understand why, suddenly after 4 years out of high school, they don't care about your parents anymore.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-19-2009 at 12:03 PM   #6
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

It's because after 4 years out of high school OSAP declares you as an "independent" son or daughter. This is most likely because usually after being out of high school for 4 years most people have finished their first post secondary degree meaning they would be starting to work as professionals and wouldn't be getting any help from their parents. These are assumptions that OSAP makes. I know they are stupid, because I know that in my case my parents don't give me money based on how much they made that year, they always just give me a set amount.

Old 07-19-2009 at 12:36 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

How do you define "financial need"? OSAP is awful
Old 07-19-2009 at 12:45 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Financial need is basically defined by how much you and your parents make.
Old 07-19-2009 at 01:00 PM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

It's subjective and ambiguous.
Old 07-19-2009 at 01:02 PM   #10
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I filled out my OSAP application this year. I'm 21 years old and going into fourth year. Is it just me or does it seem silly to anyone else that I still need my parents to fill out parts of my application and sign off for me?

I understand it's because I haven't been out of high school for 4 years yet, but I'm 21 and going into fourth year.. I don't know - it just seems odd to me. Do they assume that most people are living under their parents roof for all of their university career?

I could unerstand having your parents sign off in first year, but I think it's a bit much in fourth year .. What do you think?

Your parents' financial information is quoted in your application. Only your parents can sign papers about their own finances.

Furthermore, OSAP needs to cover its ass in case you can't pay off your loan, so our parents sign just in case... it's like getting a co-signer for a credit card or a mortgage.

There's legal reasons for our parents to sign... it's not just because they think you're baby. It may seem "stupid" but once you look into it, and read the contracts that you're signing, it makes sense.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-19-2009 at 01:15 PM   #11
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Furthermore, OSAP needs to cover its ass in case you can't pay off your loan, so our parents sign just in case... it's like getting a co-signer for a credit card or a mortgage.
I don't think OSAP really needs to worry about you not paying off your loan. They're going to get it eventually; unlike other loans, bankruptcy won't get rid of your obligation to OSAP.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-19-2009 at 02:37 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

That four year marker kept me from moving out until this year.

Quote:
It all just doesn't make sense to me. I pay for everything myself (housing, tuition, books, groceries, etc) and I only make like $6000 to $7000 a year. But since my dad makes a lot of money (even though he doesn't pay for anything), OSAP will only give me $200.
Do as I did and go to the financial aid office, speak with a counsellor and ask them for help...explain your situation to them. They have protocol for things like this...I went to see if I could do anything about moving out a few years back, and I ultimately decided it was not worth the effort. You on the other hand, have an excellent reason to get 'special consideration.'

The SFAS has, as I like to call it, a Big Book of Reasons, and it's basically a big stack of papers, each with some sort of OSAP exception, and the protocol to be followed. (You may need some sort of documentation from your parents, or if they won't comply I'm sure they have protocol for that too)

---------------

It's annoying, but if you think of OSAP as help and not as a right, then it kinda makes sense that they have conditions on loaning you money.

It's stupid...but suppose OSAP did not exist.

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-19-2009 at 02:42 PM.

daisy says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 07-19-2009 at 02:55 PM   #13
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Your parents' financial information is quoted in your application. Only your parents can sign papers about their own finances.

There's legal reasons for our parents to sign... it's not just because they think you're baby. It may seem "stupid" but once you look into it, and read the contracts that you're signing, it makes sense.
But the "covering their ass incase you can't pay back your loan" doesn't make any sense once you've been out of high school for 4 years. No one other than the applicant signs the papers once they are 4 years out of highschool, and it's not like once you are 4 years out of high school you are any more bound to pay back your debt than before.
Old 07-19-2009 at 02:57 PM   #14
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
That four year marker kept me from moving out until this year.

Do as I did and go to the financial aid office, speak with a counsellor and ask them for help...explain your situation to them. They have protocol for things like this...I went to see if I could do anything about moving out a few years back, and I ultimately decided it was not worth the effort. You on the other hand, have an excellent reason to get 'special consideration.'

The SFAS has, as I like to call it, a Big Book of Reasons, and it's basically a big stack of papers, each with some sort of OSAP exception, and the protocol to be followed. (You may need some sort of documentation from your parents, or if they won't comply I'm sure they have protocol for that too)

---------------

It's annoying, but if you think of OSAP as help and not as a right, then it kinda makes sense that they have conditions on loaning you money.

It's stupid...but suppose OSAP did not exist.
I have been going to the Financial Aid office and talking to advisors. They are really helpful with OSAP. I appreciate that OSAP exists and helps students out, but I think some of their policies are kind of odd and I'm surprised that some of them are still in effect.
Old 07-19-2009 at 10:37 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
But the "covering their ass incase you can't pay back your loan" doesn't make any sense once you've been out of high school for 4 years. No one other than the applicant signs the papers once they are 4 years out of highschool, and it's not like once you are 4 years out of high school you are any more bound to pay back your debt than before.
But after 4 years you are either going to work or continue studying (You have to fill out an application if you are doing the latter to extend your interest free loan).

If you start working and decide not to pay back, they take the money out of your tax return and any other money that comes from the government.

Taunton says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

daisy likes this.