Need opinion on a design Chad General Discussion 14 05-30-2008 09:19 AM

Your opinion on OSAP

Old 07-20-2009 at 07:25 AM   #16
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
But after 4 years you are either going to work or continue studying (You have to fill out an application if you are doing the latter to extend your interest free loan).

If you start working and decide not to pay back, they take the money out of your tax return and any other money that comes from the government.
I get that. But I don't understand why, at that point, they don't care about your parents anymore.
Old 07-20-2009 at 11:47 AM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I get that. But I don't understand why, at that point, they don't care about your parents anymore.
Because they can just get the money from you. If you screw up on your application and already used the money to pay for tuition, they can get the money from your parents. Since you don't work they wouldn't be able to get the money back for a couple years. But once you finish your degree they can just get the money from you since you will start to work.
Old 07-20-2009 at 12:17 PM   #18
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Because they can just get the money from you. If you screw up on your application and already used the money to pay for tuition, they can get the money from your parents. Since you don't work they wouldn't be able to get the money back for a couple years. But once you finish your degree they can just get the money from you since you will start to work.
That's an odd assumption to make on OSAP's part, I think. Not everyone's parents would be able to pay off their debts any quicker than the student would be able to.
Old 07-20-2009 at 12:23 PM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I think it's a reasonable assumption that post-secondary education would last for approximately 4 years, and that before/during those four years, a student would not have much experience with financial affairs and loans. Thus, parents must be involved in an attempt to ensure that the student has guidance and understanding in the loan process, and so that the student understands the responsibilities associated with those loans.

After 4 years, it is a reasonable assumption that the student has been managing their finances (at least to some extent) for those 4 years and regardless of whether they are going into the workforce or taking further education, they should have an understanding of the loan system and the responsibilities associated with it.
Old 07-20-2009 at 01:35 PM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

From my experience, which isn't much, most people I've encountered are still dependent on their parents - even four years after highschool, and after university. Being independent is becoming increasingly difficult, not because we're incapable of doing so in a personal sense but more like, it's hard to get long term employment or buy houses, a car, etc. So in that sense, OSAP is generalizing and saying okay, most young people today in Canada still depend on their parents.

I had a few friends in the situation where their parents make good dough, and so they get basically nothing from OSAP and their parents aren't helping them out. One of my friends had a part-time job with a lot of hours to help out, and it killed her grades. That's one of the aspects I don't like about OSAP. However, her parents are sort of ... mean for not helping. Of course, there could be other circumstances as to why parents don't help and I'm not trying to say anything about that.

My single mother on the other hand, doesn't make that much at all and I get a lot from OSAP - which I'm thankful for. So, I don't know, OSAP is sort of bittersweet and assumes a lot of things.