south american 4 2.19%
Indian / Pakistan 43 23.50%
Latins 4 2.19%
other 18 9.84%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MI background giftedchick General Discussion 23 02-14-2011 11:04 PM
Background Performers Needed for Feature film Documentary filming in Hamilton newchapter General Discussion 3 11-22-2009 02:40 PM

what is your racial background

Old 02-24-2011 at 04:11 AM   #61
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
▼Sorry, but I already won!▼

@ the number of brown people on MI so far. I like it
ya i know but look at the number of white people its way more lol
Old 02-24-2011 at 05:06 AM   #62
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
ya i know but look at the number of white people its way more lol
Dude you're making it sound like it's a competition...
Old 02-24-2011 at 05:32 AM   #63
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
Dude you're making it sound like it's a competition...
no not a competition

if you read earlier in the thread people where saying its a brown/asain school
Old 02-24-2011 at 10:13 AM   #64
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

lol @ "races"

(Europen AND Caucasian? Persian AND Arab/Middle Eastern? South American AND Latin?"

Honestly, we don't even have good racists on here anymore. Poor MI.

alh24, bigmac, L'Étoile, Mahratta like this.
Old 02-24-2011 at 10:29 AM   #65
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
You seem to be doing a lot of damage controlling, trying to rationalize that there isn't something wrong with the fact that nearly ALL of your friends are of your race. There's a reason McMaster is so segregated and cliquey when it comes to race, and it's because of people like you.

It's not just Mac, it's everywhere. If anything, we're better than many other schools because of how diverse the campus is. Man, you think this school is cliquey? Try going to York or Queens. Personally, I find the whole "People at Mac only hang out with those of their own race" issue only applies to a select number of people. We're not like the cafeteria in Mean Girls, ffs.

Also, a lot of people stick with what they're familiar with for whatever reason. I don't see why it should be an issue for you, unless you personally wanted to befriend that person and didn't fit their "criteria". Sometimes it's even a case of who they somehow end up gravitating towards, not actively seeking as friends. I don't have a lot of black friends or that many brown friends; doesn't mean I go out of my way to avoid them.

Jeez.

alh24, bigmac, BlueWave, crazyfree like this.
Old 02-24-2011 at 10:30 AM   #66
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
lol @ "races"

(Europen AND Caucasian? Persian AND Arab/Middle Eastern? South American AND Latin?"

i admit i did make a couple of mistakes
Old 02-24-2011 at 10:32 AM   #67
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
lol

at least i got the answer

from the poll i see that mostly white people go to mac

followed by brown and Asians

then rest lol

good to know there are couple of arabs as well

You're weird. How did you get accepted to Mac. I guess Mac lowers their standards more every year, someone has to pay the bills.
Old 02-24-2011 at 11:24 AM   #68
MSaleh

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
lol @ "races"

Persians aren't arab. They don't even speak Arabic, they speak Farsi.

BlakeM, crazyfree like this.
Old 02-24-2011 at 11:39 AM   #69
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Racism:
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

That happens on MI a lot, and in this thread by one or two people, but purpose of the original thread was not racist.

Which reminds me.. way earlier in the thread somone said the being white makes you superior ...and everyone ignored it
....and then I'm the one that gets attacked when I say we're all equal and awesome and should be proud of the things that make us unique? 0_o

Last edited by crazyfree : 02-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2011 at 11:43 AM   #70
nikJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
What damage control? I haven't done any damage...all I've said is that we're all awesome and should love the skin we're in 0_o
Dear god, it's like misunderstand Crazyfree week or something...

I'm saying we should all be proud of our colour, and accept and love it. One of my favourite things about Canada is how multicultural we are. I've grown up going to Muslim camp, attending bar mitzvahs, going to Indian Weddings, participating in African festivals, going to Chinese events. Generally, I was one of a tiny portion of white people there, but my mother's friends always invited her to their celebrations etc, so I always got to go along. These aren't isolated events...this was my entire life, as soon as I was old enough to go places with her until I left for university.

I'm actually very lucky in that respect, because my mother (as a middle eastern immigrant herself) is incredibly involved in the "ethnic" community, so I basically grew up in a world village. I grew up seeing the wonderful things offered by every culture, and appreciating the beauty each person, colour, eye shape etc held.

Because of that, I don't think I could ever explain exactly how sad and frustrating it is to see those cliques form. It's like we deny ourselves the chance to really get to know how awesome we are by SHARING our differencers instead of hiding them and keeping them only to those who share them with us. Its like you don't understand WHY those cliques form-because we all chose to ignore, instead of embrace and love our differences. By ignoring the things that make us unique you destroy one if the most wonderful things about living in Canada...our multiculturalism. People in other countries can go their whole lives without meeting a person that has a different skin colour or different culture. We are so lucky here to have that-It's something to celebrate and LOVE about ourselves.

My friends are Indian, Chinese, Iranian, Pakistani, British, Egyptian, Polish, and Guyanese. And obviously much more. I myself couldn't even be in a clique if I wanted to...I'm white on the outside, but am completely middle eastern in terms in my blood, my language, my upbringing, my everything. As a result I've never even felt the need to "fit" into a clique because I had no where to fit..which is why I've always hung out with whoever the **** I wanted without being held back by their colour. And as a result I've noticed how a lot of visible minorities tend to put themselves down for their colour. Why the **** should that happen? They, and WE should all love the body we are in. Instead of ignoring our colour, I should be able to say "I love you dark skin tone" without it coming across as anything other than the compliment that it is. Just like if I tell a friend she looks pretty.

I'm really not sure what issue you guys are having with this. You honestly think it's better if we all just ignore how beautiful we all are?
WOW! YOU HAVE TOO MUCH FREE TIME ON YOUR HANDS TO WRITE AN ESSAY HERE!!

JUST SAYIN!
Old 02-24-2011 at 11:47 AM   #71
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
WOW! YOU HAVE TOO MUCH FREE TIME ON YOUR HANDS TO WRITE AN ESSAY HERE!!

JUST SAYIN!

It's reading week...ofc I have free time

I got the impression that people were completely misunderstanding me, so I wanted to clear it up.

Old 02-24-2011 at 11:54 AM   #72
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
What damage control? I haven't done any damage...all I've said is that we're all awesome and should love the skin we're in 0_o
Dear god, it's like misunderstand Crazyfree week or something...

I'm saying we should all be proud of our colour, and accept and love it. One of my favourite things about Canada is how multicultural we are. I've grown up going to Muslim camp, attending bar mitzvahs, going to Indian Weddings, participating in African festivals, going to Chinese events. Generally, I was one of a tiny portion of white people there, but my mother's friends always invited her to their celebrations etc, so I always got to go along. These aren't isolated events...this was my entire life, as soon as I was old enough to go places with her until I left for university.

I'm actually very lucky in that respect, because my mother (as a middle eastern immigrant herself) is incredibly involved in the "ethnic" community, so I basically grew up in a world village. I grew up seeing the wonderful things offered by every culture, and appreciating the beauty each person, colour, eye shape etc held.

Because of that, I don't think I could ever explain exactly how sad and frustrating it is to see those cliques form. It's like we deny ourselves the chance to really get to know how awesome we are by SHARING our differencers instead of hiding them and keeping them only to those who share them with us. Its like you don't understand WHY those cliques form-because we all chose to ignore, instead of embrace and love our differences. By ignoring the things that make us unique you destroy one if the most wonderful things about living in Canada...our multiculturalism. People in other countries can go their whole lives without meeting a person that has a different skin colour or different culture. We are so lucky here to have that-It's something to celebrate and LOVE about ourselves.

My friends are Indian, Chinese, Iranian, Pakistani, British, Egyptian, Polish, and Guyanese. And obviously much more. I myself couldn't even be in a clique if I wanted to...I'm white on the outside, but am completely middle eastern in terms in my blood, my language, my upbringing, my everything. As a result I've never even felt the need to "fit" into a clique because I had no where to fit..which is why I've always hung out with whoever the **** I wanted without being held back by their colour. And as a result I've noticed how a lot of visible minorities tend to put themselves down for their colour. Why the **** should that happen? They, and WE should all love the body we are in. Instead of ignoring our colour, I should be able to say "I love you dark skin tone" without it coming across as anything other than the compliment that it is. Just like if I tell a friend she looks pretty.

I'm really not sure what issue you guys are having with this. You honestly think it's better if we all just ignore how beautiful we all are?
I was thinking that when I read through this thread, too! I really don't understand how your opinions are so misinterpreted.

crazyfree says thanks to alh24 for this post.

crazyfree likes this.
Old 02-24-2011 at 11:55 AM   #73
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSaleh View Post
Reading your remarkably optimistic posts reminds me of two things:

1) That family in Family Guy where Stewie gets adopted, with the multicultural family.
2) Motivational Speakers, or Self-Help books, with all your "LOVE YOURSELF AND CELEBRATE YOUR DIFFERENCES!" sayings.

Be happy you are of a race, but I still go with the saying you shouldn't be proud of it, when you had no control over it. You are proud of an achievement you did, you didn't achieve being Egyptian, you were born and raised as one. If your parents were German, and you somehow grew up to be an Egyptian, then be proud of being Egyptian.
Hey those books get published and make money, so someone must be reading them

I disagree with the pride point, but I'm honestly not going to bother arguing it anymore. I have pride in the culture and history behind me, and my family bloodline. You don't. That's fine.

I think all the confusion was some people, for some reason, thought that pride=I think I'm superior. Which is just silly tbh. You can have pride in yourself without thinking you're better than someone else.

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-24-2011 at 12:03 PM   #74
nikJ

Quote:
It's reading week...ofc I have free time

I got the impression that people were completely misunderstanding me, so I wanted to clear it up.
Enough free time to have a coffee with me?

alh24, Tailsnake like this.
Old 02-24-2011 at 12:39 PM   #75
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
Enough free time to have a coffee with me?
<Insert Internet High 5 Here>