MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Tuition Increases for Next Year: $250-$1200 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 21 05-14-2010 09:35 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Bill niteskie General Discussion 15 09-09-2009 07:27 PM
Bill Nye is BACK!!! lorend General Discussion 12 06-09-2009 12:02 AM
Paying SelectCom Bill stevennevets Residence & Housing 8 10-23-2008 11:54 PM

Will Youtube, Facebook, Myspace, etc increases your internet bill?

Old 11-12-2009 at 02:18 PM   #1
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Will Youtube, Facebook, Myspace, etc increases your internet bill?
Someone told me today that internet providers start charging more when you visit websites such as youtube, facebook, etc.

Is this true? It is apparently fairly new, just this year did internet providers charge people this way.
Old 11-12-2009 at 02:40 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

They don't charge you for visiting those websites. They start charging you when you go over your monthly quota.

Whoever told you this misunderstood what they were listening to. Going to websites which host large files (yes videos count even if you stream and don't download) will make you go over your quota sooner and thus your ISP will start charging you.
Old 11-12-2009 at 02:46 PM   #3
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

What you're thinking about is "Net Neutrality". The examples your friend used are more examples of what could happen if Net Neutrality (as we enjoy it today) is not preserved.

Right now in the U.S. and Canada, there are intense debates on this. On one side, your ISP does not want net neutrality. They could potentially block sites and make them "add-on packages", like the example your friend gave. Imagine Cable TV applied to the internet: Basic, Basic Plus, and Sports, etc. packages available.

But, myself and almost everyone else in the world (including the inventor of the internet) wants the internet to stay open, like it is today.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality
http://www.savetheinternet.c om/

EDIT: NOTE: It is not implemented yet. In the U.S., John McCain is pushing the "Internet Freedom Act" (ironic, because it takes away freedom) which would allow ISPs to abolish Net Neutrality, and charge extra.

deadpool likes this.
Old 11-12-2009 at 02:51 PM   #4
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Thank you guys for the responses.

Is their anyway to know if you are over your quota? I always go to youtube and facebook just like everyone and so this really sucks. Nothing is free in this world anymore. Who knows someday people will be charged for breathing certain amounts of air.
Old 11-12-2009 at 03:48 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Funny you should say that, Iamanonymous.

In Bolivia several years ago the country privatized water, making it really expensive for the population (which is relatively poor) to afford. So people would collect rain water to use. Then that was made illegal. Protests ensued.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050214/shultz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochabamba_Riots_of_2 000

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-12-2009 at 04:00 PM   #6
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

There are various programs that you can download for free. I have never used any so I cant recommend any. Just search up bandwidth monitor and you will get a ton. I know there are some that will only monitor your computer and others that can monitor your whole network.
Old 11-12-2009 at 04:07 PM   #7
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Depending on who your network provider is, you can log onto an account that will tell you what percentage of your bandwidth you've used so far. I have Cogeco, and I know they offer this.
Old 11-12-2009 at 05:09 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post

Is their anyway to know if you are over your quota? I always go to youtube and facebook just like everyone and so this really sucks. Nothing is free in this world anymore. Who knows someday people will be charged for breathing certain amounts of air.
I could be waaaay off here, because I'm not great with computers. But if you're going "over quota", it sounds like you don't have cable internet.

If you switch to cable, you pay one flat fee and you can use the internet as much as you want, all the time.

(Maybe it's just because I've always had cable, but it amazes me that some people don't have it. Are there advantages to the other ways?)
Old 11-12-2009 at 05:16 PM   #9
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post

Cogeco's here: http://www.cogeco.ca/nwf/login/webus...ou nt2009onen

But any other ISP should have "My Account" listed somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I could be waaaay off here, because I'm not great with computers. But if you're going "over quota", it sounds like you don't have cable internet.

If you switch to cable, you pay one flat fee and you can use the internet as much as you want, all the time.

(Maybe it's just because I've always had cable, but it amazes me that some people don't have it. Are there advantages to the other ways?)
You'd be surprised. Especially splitting 60GB per month with 5 people who like to watch TV online (and have no cable) like my friend's house.
Old 11-12-2009 at 06:16 PM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

image is not real afaik
Old 11-12-2009 at 06:34 PM   #11
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

You have a certain limit to the bandwidth you can use. It all depends with what package you have. They usually start off at 60GB. Last year in my house we had worked out way up to 200GB of bandwidth because there were 7 of us and we like to download movies/tv/youtube.
I have heard with Bell internet they don't monitor your bandwidth but that was just what I have heard through the grape vine. With Cogeco we got cut off for 24 hours because we massively exceeded our bandwidth.