MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng Jackets Syngatezz General Discussion 23 06-09-2010 09:41 AM
Eng. Jackets aaront General Discussion 3 11-16-2009 09:34 AM
Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets HeatherH General Discussion 39 02-07-2009 12:04 PM
Where to buy MAC '87 Jackets? Allan General Discussion 7 02-06-2009 09:06 PM
McMaster Jackets james2255 General Discussion 4 10-03-2007 08:00 PM

Engineering Jackets

Old 12-03-2010 at 07:21 PM   #106
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
He's thinks that because the desire to become a doctor is no longer his ultimate goal, or that he is too scared to even keep trying, or because he knows he isn't intelligent/dedicated enough to do so, that there is no purpose in pursuing science. He thinks engineering is more worth it, because you are more likely to get a job right out of school without pursuing graduate studies. Maybe. A big maybe. I know many engineers. It really does depend on the person.

Here's the dish, manap: it's not what you think, or how hard you think. It's how you think. It's about what you do with that little peanut that sits between your ears. Everything else is just dust in the wind.
It's a CHOICE not to be a doctor, if it was between wasting years getting a Ph.d and just a few years struggling with b.eng (i think im smart/hardworking enough not to struggle) i'd take the second choice.
Old 12-03-2010 at 07:33 PM   #107
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Why does every thread like this end up bashing us engineers?

Come on guys, no need for this.

Commander, Ish001 all say thanks to aaront for this post.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:02 PM   #108
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

My dads got his degree in mechanical engineering, and it looks like my brother might be heading in that direction too. Mad respect to the engineers.

Also..I think the jackets look hot.

Enge says thanks to crazyfree for this post.

Commander likes this.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:02 PM   #109
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

Commander must be one of the most embarrassing and pathetic engineers I've seen at Mac. The elitist attitude will get you nowhere. I'd be disappointed if you make it out of first year.

You make us all look bad.

eric_3490 likes this.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:11 PM   #110
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
It's a CHOICE not to be a doctor, if it was between wasting years getting a Ph.d and just a few years struggling with b.eng (i think im smart/hardworking enough not to struggle) i'd take the second choice.
Obviously didn't take a single thing from what I said, I was basically trying to say that past a certain point your degree is just a label and what you do with your knowledge is what really matters. There are certain limitations, obviously, but there is no guarantee you'll be able to afford a yacht the moment you are done with a degree (or two). This goes for science, engineering, humanities, etc.

As a little aside, perhaps just to convey my point a little better, I know just about as much physics (dynamics, etc) as all of the engineers I know, including astrophysics that none of them do, but have no interest in being a physicist or engineer. In my case I just take the courses and read the books because for all intents and purposes I'm a tremendous dork.

Guess there's no sense explaining to some of you kids that getting a degree does not equal instant gratification, and that it's never "worth less" to do something you think is right for you (even if somewhere down the line you realize it ultimately wasn't...) :/

So in a way I understand the engineers vs. science and the everyone vs. arts/humanities, etc. vibe - but at some point everyone realizes that in order to keep the gears turning; smart, hard-working and willing people are all that are necessary.

Oh, and that writing essays sucks

Last edited by Kendoon : 12-03-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:20 PM   #111
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Scientists don't discover new things, these things already exist.
Please look up the definition of 'discover'. I think you've got it confused with 'create'.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:45 PM   #112
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Please look up the definition of 'discover'. I think you've got it confused with 'create'.
I know what discover means. The poster said Scientists discover new things.

The problem is the word "new". But there is no "new" in this world. Energy is neither created nor destroyed and the same goes for matter .

At least we all agree Humanities just sucks.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:46 PM   #113
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
I know what discover means. The poster said Scientists discover new things.

The problem is the word "new". But there is no "new" in this world. Energy is neither created nor destroyed and the same goes for matter .
for some reason the theme to CSI: miami just played in my head when I read your post

Old 12-03-2010 at 08:47 PM   #114
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
for some reason the theme to CSI: miami just played in my head when I read your post
No one cares.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:48 PM   #115
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
No one cares.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aah!

Old 12-03-2010 at 08:50 PM   #116
Commander
P.I.M.P

Quote:
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aah!
Typical exemple of a Life Sci student who got rejected from Health Sci. I feel so bad for you.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:07 PM   #117
Dominic

Liked: 0 Times

Hello everyone, i have been reading this thread since it started and thought i would make an account to share my views about what has been said. First off, insulting another person's intelligence is not necessary, and arguing over which program your taking is immature. One would think that all of us are in university to get an education, not to bash everyone because they wear an engineering jacket, are in an engineering program or any other program for that matter. I myself am not in engineering and i am not taking sides in this argument but i think it has elevated to a point that is truely immature and im sure many of you know that. So stop with all the rude and pointless posts about people's intelligence, jobs or faculty.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:14 PM   #118
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Hello everyone, i have been reading this thread since it started and thought i would make an account to share my views about what has been said. First off, insulting another person's intelligence is not necessary, and arguing over which program your taking is immature. One would think that all of us are in university to get an education, not to bash everyone because they wear an engineering jacket, are in an engineering program or any other program for that matter. I myself am not in engineering and i am not taking sides in this argument but i think it has elevated to a point that is truely immature and im sure many of you know that. So stop with all the rude and pointless posts about people's intelligence, jobs or faculty.
I'm sorry to tell you, but many people on MI don't know what 'mature' means. Usually, common sense posts don't get across to them. If it did, they would have stopped long ago. Thanks for trying though.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:19 PM   #119
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Yeah, this should stop, the arguments are becoming pretty stupid now. No matter what faculty you're in, be it Engineering, Commerce, Science or Health Science your future will be what you make of it.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:21 PM   #120
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
it's not what you think, or how hard you think. It's how you think. It's about what you do with that little peanut that sits between your ears. Everything else is just dust in the wind.

^^nuff said.
If theres one thing in this thread that won't make you stupider by reading it, its this.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Maegs likes this.