MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng Jackets Syngatezz General Discussion 23 06-09-2010 09:41 AM
Eng. Jackets aaront General Discussion 3 11-16-2009 09:34 AM
Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets HeatherH General Discussion 39 02-07-2009 12:04 PM
Where to buy MAC '87 Jackets? Allan General Discussion 7 02-06-2009 09:06 PM
McMaster Jackets james2255 General Discussion 4 10-03-2007 08:00 PM

Engineering Jackets

Old 12-03-2010 at 09:37 PM   #121
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Typical exemple of a Life Sci student who got rejected from Health Sci. I feel so bad for you.
troll needs to QQ less and read more

i said a page back that i applied to HS and LS, was accepted to both, ditched HS once I realized it wasn't for me

if boring troll requires a cap of the acceptance stuff i can oblige but its unlikely troll wants to escalate his own stupidity

Old 12-04-2010 at 12:32 PM   #122
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
Hey, buddy pull your head out of your as_s and read the first post in this thread.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ets-17506.html

He/she is commie just like you and they actually think the jackets are for everyone. Therefore people in other faculties DO (notice the emphasis) envy us because we have something that shows who we are and what we do. I did see this one guy wearing a Humanities leather jacket, but that is just sad, being the only one in your program who has one. I would say to that guy: "Nice try". lol. The only other leather jacket that I have seen around that was really cool is the one owned by the "willy dog" which says "dogology" at the back
LOL, I was bored so felt like making a random reply to someone. I actually dgaf about anything in this thread, so I would like to thank you for all the furious replies ;D. "Don't become a lawyer", I don't plan on becoming a lawyer, unless of course I can be like Jim Carrey from Liar Liar, otherwise, please no.
Old 12-04-2010 at 01:22 PM   #123
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Omgtheleatheritfeelss ogooooooood! They're In! Giggidy!

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 12-04-2010 at 03:50 PM   #124
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

I got my answer to my OP. Can we move on?

micadjems says thanks to VastHorizon for this post.
Old 12-04-2010 at 05:21 PM   #125
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Yeah, this should stop, the arguments are becoming pretty stupid now. No matter what faculty you're in, be it Engineering, Commerce, Science or Health Science your future will be what you make of it.
If you're Engineering you will DEFINITELY have a FUTURE.
Old 12-04-2010 at 05:37 PM   #126
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

http://www.wastedtalent.ca/
Awseome comic by an engineer. It starts while she's still in school, but she keeps doing the comic after she gets a job too.

Old 12-04-2010 at 07:53 PM   #127
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
I wouldn't say so. I know countless engineering students so absorbed into doing well in school and taking every measure possible to boost their grades, they don't take the time to apply and UNDERSTAND their knowledge. It becomes apparent how useless and inexperienced they are when they try to look for a job after graduation.

It astounds me as to how many mechanical engineers (my root before I started my Energy degree) can't even change a tire.

Boolean likes this.
Old 12-04-2010 at 08:59 PM   #128
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
as an engineer.
Old 12-04-2010 at 09:27 PM   #129
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I wouldn't say so. I know countless engineering students so absorbed into doing well in school and taking every measure possible to boost their grades, they don't take the time to apply and UNDERSTAND their knowledge. It becomes apparent how useless and inexperienced they are when they try to look for a job after graduation.

It astounds me as to how many mechanical engineers (my root before I started my Energy degree) can't even change a tire.
Those who graduate do understand what they have learned.

The problem with University is that they teach too much theory. I am not saying it is a bad thing to do, but you can become a very smart engineer and be able to invent without taking half the courses they teach at University, i.e at least half the stuff is useless (including math).

But, having an Engineering Degree when you don't have the experience shows to the employer that you are able to learn and you can't have a PEO certificate without a degree..

Last edited by Commander : 12-04-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2010 at 12:28 AM   #130
temptingf8
Elite Member

Quote:
Those who graduate do understand what they have learned.
Disagree. Those who graduate have have passed their exams and courses. That's it, nothing more. Making the link from your coursework to the real world is key and is not something that can be demonstrated by a piece of paper in your hand. Your employer isn't going to tell you to "open to page 326, do problem 8.2 and submit it to me next week. There's an example in the chapter somewhere."

Quote:
The problem with University is that they teach too much theory. I am not saying it is a bad thing to do, but you can become a very smart engineer and be able to invent without taking half the courses they teach at University, i.e at least half the stuff is useless (including math).
I don't think they teach too much theory. If you took a little time to look into the applications of your 'useless' education, you'd know what I mean.

Quote:
But, having an Engineering Degree when you don't have the experience shows to the employer that you are able to learn and you can't have a PEO certificate without a degree..
This is what people will tell you. But there is nothing that can replace experience working in an engineering environment and learning how to conduct yourself. That's not something you can do overnight... or even a single 4-month work term.

If an employer is looking to hire someone, who do you think they'll choose? The experienced one who can demonstrate that he knows what he's doing or the one who says "Yeah, I've never seen that before, but I can try"?

I may not be done my program yet but I'm speaking from almost 3 years of employment experience by the time my current internship is done next year. I'm not pulling any of this out of my ass.

jajas says thanks to temptingf8 for this post.
Old 12-05-2010 at 01:44 AM   #131
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I agree 100% with what temptingf8 has said. There are also plenty of opportunities in your undergrad to apply what you learn in class. There are teams such as Formula SAE (I'm suspension captain ), Mini Baja etc.. all of these teams are technical teams which will definitely help you understand why you learn what they teach you in class. But unfortunately there are too many noobs in all years who do not care about this and they are just good at writing exams. Yet if the Faculty of Engineering made it a requirement that before you graduate you have to have had an decent involvement in such teams many of these noobs will be eliminated from the game.

I see this happening in my Mech Eng year, from those 100 students maybe 4 or 5 or involved in such teams. It is not a question about not having time, because you have the same amount of time in a week as I do and as all of the students involved in the teams, yet they manage to do it and the rest don't. Therefore it becomes a question of time management.

If you really wanted to be involved you would.

temptingf8 says thanks to jajas for this post.
Old 12-05-2010 at 05:38 PM   #132
temptingf8
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
There are teams such as Formula SAE (I'm suspension captain ), Mini Baja etc.. all of these teams are technical teams which will definitely help you understand why you learn what they teach you in class.
Don't forget MecVT

We just spent Saturday taking apart the Carpool III (Caprice wagon hot tub) and the LT1 V8 after it blew a head gasket during Santa Claus Parade this year. There were a couple Engineering I students who came out and were genuinely interested in getting their hands dirty in the cold weather. These are the kids that'll shine in future years. As a mechanical engineer (or etc) I'm not asking students to be as proficient as a master mechanic (I definitely am not that good), but at least know what it is that you're working with in the flesh.

I used to co-captain a Baja team (2007) when I was doing a Mechanical Engineering Technologist diploma at Sheridan College. We had a saying - "what you learn in 3 months of Baja can be comparable to 3 YEARS of school."

mike_302 likes this.
Old 12-05-2010 at 05:59 PM   #133
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post

You do know that:

a) Being in mechanical engineering doesn't mean that you're going into automotive engineering; and
b) Being in engineering doesn't mean you can apply the shit you learn nor be good at hands-on stuff.

Right?

Old 12-05-2010 at 08:00 PM   #134
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
You do know that:

a) Being in mechanical engineering doesn't mean that you're going into automotive engineering; and
b) Being in engineering doesn't mean you can apply the shit you learn nor be good at hands-on stuff.

Right?
Just like how you don't need to know how to program to be a software engineer (at least from observation of most people in my program).

Commander likes this.
Old 12-05-2010 at 08:24 PM   #135
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Baha. Eh, eh... Granted though, the Software Eng's I know are all extremely good programmers. And it's not a small number I know.