MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng Jackets Syngatezz General Discussion 23 06-09-2010 09:41 AM
Eng. Jackets aaront General Discussion 3 11-16-2009 09:34 AM
Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets HeatherH General Discussion 39 02-07-2009 12:04 PM
Where to buy MAC '87 Jackets? Allan General Discussion 7 02-06-2009 09:06 PM
McMaster Jackets james2255 General Discussion 4 10-03-2007 08:00 PM

Engineering Jackets

Old 12-02-2010 at 11:24 PM   #76
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
No need to feel bad for em. There choice to bash eng. I for one dont mind the commerce people. Gonna need some more bank tellers in the future to cash my cheques.

/contributiontothread
I think a lot of people have the idea that engineering is a stable field, filled with well-paying jobs. Not everyone with an engineering degree will necessarily have a great career, but some may. Same deal with commerce. There's no reason to bash other programs like that.
Old 12-02-2010 at 11:30 PM   #77
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Technically, scientists do study the world as it is, but engineers create "worlds" based on what the scientists find, not something made up. The closest thing to making a "world" is in Software Eng, where you code your own. Otherwise, you're using materials which has properties and uses found by scientists. I'm not bashing on engineers, but I am defending scientists.
Scientists can research all the materials they want. And in 100 years they will not be any further than where they started.
Old 12-02-2010 at 11:32 PM   #78
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Sure, one engineer out of the hundreds of millions in the world will, "create the world that has never been"
LOL!

What about the rest of them?
Easy. They'll be busy keeping the LCBO in business.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Ish001 likes this.
Old 12-02-2010 at 11:37 PM   #79
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Scientists can research all the materials they want. And in 100 years they will not be any further than where they started.
Lol. BULLSHIT.

Would you like a list of the scientific breakthroughs/discoveries of the last 2 months?

Last edited by SilentWalker : 12-02-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2010 at 11:56 PM   #80
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Lol. BULLSHIT.

Would you like a list of the scientific breakthroughs/discoveries of the last 2 months?
yes i would like to see a list
Old 12-03-2010 at 12:01 AM   #81
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

I'm probably gunna get my jacket next year.

On the topic of science and engineering, this is true: science can only advance with advancements in engineering.
Old 12-03-2010 at 12:46 AM   #82
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
yes i would like to see a list
eh tough luck
Old 12-03-2010 at 12:48 AM   #83
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Sure, one engineer out of the hundreds of millions in the world will, "create the world that has never been"
LOL!

What about the rest of them?
Everything an Engineer designs changes the world. But someone like you fails to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Technically, scientists do study the world as it is, but engineers create "worlds" based on what the scientists find, not something made up. The closest thing to making a "world" is in Software Eng, where you code your own. Otherwise, you're using materials which has properties and uses found by scientists. I'm not bashing on engineers, but I am defending scientists.
Um... no.

Engineers can also find these properties. There were engineers who referred themselves as scientists and they discovered the world and made designs.

Anyway, You guys aren't close to being Scientists. When you get a PhD, than you might be. But thats like 6-10 years away.

Engineering students get their degree in 4 years.
Old 12-03-2010 at 12:55 AM   #84
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Everything an Engineer designs changes the world. But someone like you fails to see that.

Um... no.

Engineers can also find these properties. There were engineers who referred themselves as scientists and they discovered the world and made designs.

Anyway, You guys aren't close to being Scientists. When you get a PhD, than you might be. But thats like 6-10 years away.

For the sake of clarity, I feel I should mention that although we get our degree in four years, we can't legally call ourselves "Engineers" (with the exception of audio engineers, wtf is that) until we get our P. Eng.

To get our P. Eng, we need at four years of work experience under a professional engineer, then pass a bunch of exams. Since up to 12 months of that experience can happen through your co-op, it'll take a minimum of seven years to be a licensed engineer.

Not going to waste my time by taking a side in this argument though.
Old 12-03-2010 at 12:56 AM   #85
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
For the sake of clarity, I feel I should mention that although we get our degree in four years, we can't legally call ourselves "Engineers" (with the exception of audio engineers, wtf is that) until we get our P. Eng.

To get our P. Eng, we need at four years of work experience under a professional engineer, then write an exam. Since up to 12 months of that can happen through your co-op, it'll take a minimum of seven years to be a licensed engineer.

Not going to waste my time by taking a side in this argument though.
True, dammit that was covered in a lecture not too long ago too... Do you need one for Software ?

Last edited by Commander : 12-03-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2010 at 06:37 AM   #86
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

To use the title of "Engineer" in the province of Ontario, you need a P.Eng. License, and it involves ethics tests, and 4 years of work experience in addition to your B.Eng.
Old 12-03-2010 at 06:45 AM   #87
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Is that what they tell you all? I guess it serves as a morale booster for the four tough years. Is it really true that all engineers are conducting cutting edge research? As far as I know, most engineers have desk jobs, reviewing protocols and doing monotonous things. The ones that do invent things are a select few and even in engineering research, discoveries may be numerous, but like science, the majority doesn't really make a super impact on the world.
Old 12-03-2010 at 09:36 AM   #88
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:

Um... no.

I never said we were scientists, nor did I imply it.
Old 12-03-2010 at 10:19 AM   #89
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
I'm probably gunna get my jacket next year.

On the topic of science and engineering, this is true: science can only advance with advancements in engineering.
Not really. Sure, large engineering projects (LHC for example) help supplement scientific research, but the design or reason for even building such devices usually starts at a scientist.

Engineering is more about finding uses for scientific/mathematical discoveries (i.e. Using Fourier series for discretizing and reconstructing audio signals in MP3 players).

It's really dumb to act like one is more important than the other. They supplement eachother quite nicely:

Science -> Discovering new things
Engineering -> Finding uses for new things discovered

Also, engineering jackets are for noobs (just sayin'...).

justinsftw likes this.
Old 12-03-2010 at 11:42 AM   #90
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

what the fuck guys
science and engineering are supposed to be best broes