MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Celebrate Mills library's 60th anniversary today! KristaG Academics 0 03-31-2011 07:08 AM
What the hell happened here? SilentWalker General Discussion 59 11-01-2010 12:35 AM
BHSc 10th Year Anniversary àlacarte MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-19-2010 09:30 PM
Anniversary ideas Katia General Discussion 19 08-19-2009 01:49 AM
What Happened At Welcome Day? Kevin General Discussion 3 08-14-2007 05:39 PM

10 year anniversary since 9/11. Where were you when it happened?

Old 09-10-2011 at 10:10 PM   #16
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

I was in French class, and we saw everything happen. It is an awful memory that will always be in my mind. Later, the local newspaper printed a special afternoon edition with pictures of what happened. My thoughts are with all the families who lost loved ones on this tragic day all those years ago. No matter your political views, we all must respect the ones who ran into the burning buildings when everyone else ran out. Edit: The first firefighters and police that were the ones who ran in had no fear and wanted to save lives. I have so much respect for these heroes.

Last edited by Misspolitics : 09-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2011 at 10:11 PM   #17
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Oh yeah... I don't exactly remember what I did when 9/11 happened nor what time of day it was, but the story of my grandma being there is true. My dad told me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Huh? I was in Philippines too when it happened and it was night so I was asleep at the time and saw it on the news the morning after, while it was the late afternoon of 9/11 in New York. It happened around 8-10 a.m. in New York before DST, so it was 8-10 p.m. in Philippines.

...so you couldn't have been at school. That reminds me of the Psych 1XX3 PBL project, in which George Bush made more than one claim of where he was when 9/11 happened. It's not your fault but our reconstructive memories'.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:01 PM   #18
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I was ten... grade 5 (? /too lazy to figure it out). Anyway it wasn't until after second recess (1 pm ish) that anyone said anything to us at all. My teacher had a little sit down and said something about it, I cant remember what at all. It was near the end of the day anyway. I dont think I understood most of it, but I did get enough to turn on the news when I got home. Probably the first time I ever watched CNN at all.

I was kinda pissed at my mom because half the class was gone after second recess with their parents pulling them out of school, including my best/only friend. I wanted to go home and screw around too, lol, and not do work.

I lived in the same place I do now, and the school is only a short walk from my house. I pass it when I come home from Mac.

Last edited by britb : 09-10-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2011 at 11:50 PM   #19
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

I was in grade 6 and all I remember is our teacher kept leaving the class room before recess around 10AM. I remember coming back from recess and having our teacher tell us that today something very bad happened in the US and that a lot of innocent people died. All I really remember from the rest of that was wondering why or how it all mattered to me. I mean I remember thinking who really cares, its not like someone I know was involved. And it took a few years before I can actually admit I realized the significance of what it all meant.
Old 09-11-2011 at 01:01 AM   #20
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Grade 6. Our teacher made an announcemen tafter the first recess, we didnt get any videos or anything.. he was upset but I was just confused. I had no idea what the twin towers were.. or the REAL extent of what had happened...we basically just knew something bad had happened in new york.. and the day went on as usual.

Then I got home and my mom was trying to get a hold of our family from new york.. I saw the news and couldn't believe what happened
Old 09-11-2011 at 02:38 AM   #21
BeAll_EndAll

Liked: 57 Times

I was in public school 33 (we lived near Korea Town in NY at the time) and its about a 10 min drive to the WTC site.

All I remember is everyone was in a panic, but at the same time the teachers were trying to calm the students and get them to safety in case something else happens. I think we had a substitute teacher that day, but whoever it was told everyone to stay in the school, stay protected. We didnt have school for a couple days after that, parents picked me up from school around noon.
Old 09-11-2011 at 04:52 AM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Grade 5. I remember for the first time thinking there was seriously something wrong with me, since I couldn't give one shit and I was annoyed that this was taking away from class time.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-11-2011 at 04:59 AM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
I was in the fourth grade and I was in class, just came back from recess and my principle was announcing it to the class. Being kids, no one thought much of it, we were more concerned about why my teacher was crying. We later found out that her son managed to escape from the world trade center. When I got home, I remember seeing it on the news and then I was shocked and confused.

I myself am born in Kabul Afghanistan. But it wasn't until the newspapers came out later, talk of secret islamist groups, videos of afghans partying in the street, this was when I became frightened. I'd be scared to go to school because there was so much gossip, some of my friends started treating me differently, there was also bullying.

It's weird when most ppl can't locate Afghanistan on a map, and sometimes it's not even listed in atlases. You're country is completely ambiguous, then suddenly, it's all over CNN, everyone is talking about it, everyone is an expert and seems to know everything about the politics, economy, and people of afghanistan that they picked up from tabloids and newspapers, they heard from a friend.

What happened on 9/11 is a shame to humanity regardless of what religion/ethnicity you are. But it also shows the contrast between people. Some ppl knew the building was coming down, and yet they still went it to help, and then others decided to crash a plane into a building full of innocent workers.

The only thing that I think that can be gained from this tragic event is to research events. I am not religious, but I think everyone should read the bible and the kuran and the torah from front to back just to see how ppl manipulate those books to their will, how they twist every line to fit their needs.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I also think ppl should search the history of afghanistan to find out how these extremist groups originated. For example, the invasion of the russians, it would surprise you who was supplying weapons to the russians, and how the taliban came to power. or what countries have currently invested in afghanistan's mineral resources from the mountains, how much of that money is actually going towards afghanistan's people and economy.

I think 9/11 is a wake up call for the west, and europe, who seem to be living in their little bubble, careless of the poverty going on in the middle east. WHy does so much of the world hate the US? look at our standard of living, have you ever gone to bed hungry because you have no food? do you go to starbucks and pay 5$ for a mocha latte watever..?? these images being streamed around the worldthanks to globalization/satellite. If you dangle a piece of steak in front of a starving animal, at some point they will get tired of being provoked.
Terrorism is justified because we are FORTUNATE enough to have a higher standard of living. Innocent people being slaughtered is justified over them not being able to control all this "bragging."

Okay then,

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Amardeep_S likes this.
Old 09-11-2011 at 05:38 AM   #24
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Terrorism is justified because we are FORTUNATE enough to have a higher standard of living. Innocent people being slaughtered is justified over them not being able to control all this "bragging."
I'm pretty sure she never said it justified it, she was simply pointing out what she feels was the cause of it all.

Putting words in people's mouths is bad, especially over a touchy subject such as this.

fatcat says thanks to Grover for this post.

fatcat, L'Étoile, Om Nom, waldo92 like this.
Old 09-11-2011 at 07:59 AM   #25
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Grade 6, I didn't know until lunch time when the teacher came in and said 'there was a bombing at the WTC' and brought in a radio, no one really cared until she said there could be thousands dead. i still wasn't too sure what happened until i came home and my mom said 'something terrible happened today' and i saw all of the photos and videos, i felt a part of my innocence was taken from me that day.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-11-2011 at 08:14 AM   #26
tylerearl

Liked: 6 Times

what's the difference between a cow and 9/11 ?

you can't milk a cow for 10 years
Old 09-11-2011 at 08:18 AM   #27
alexithymia
I smell chips.

Liked: 47 Times

I didn't find out what happened until I went home for lunch and my mom was watching the news coverage. For the rest of the day at school we talked about it.
Old 09-11-2011 at 08:37 AM   #28
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
P.S. 22? seriously? no joke, i think i might have gone to that school too in kindergarten. either p.s. 22 or p.s. 23. i think p.s. 23 sang on the oscars too, so i was kinda surprised to see them there on tv
Oh wow that's cool.
Old 09-11-2011 at 09:28 AM   #29
Hawkes

Liked: Liked 5 Times

When discussing the issue that 9/11 has caused in America elsewhere, I received an answer that probably sums up why I feel that the event has only caused mayhem in the last ten years - not because of the deaths of the many people, but the unwarranted fear that ensued in the American nation. Propaganda.

"...That said, there is no ;war on terror.' You cannot have a war on terror just like you cannot have a war on violence or a war on guns. American policy towards the middle east is rather consistent. We are interested in the energy resources in the region. Thats why we allied with Saddam and then turned on him when he invaded Kuwait. That why we toppled irans elected prime minister and installed the Shah and supported him for 25 years. Thats why we continue to support the monarchy in Saudi Arabia.

Its true that America was under terrorist attack on 9/11/01 but Americans should look to the root of the problem. In the 80s the US organized terrorist groups (called the mujahideen) and criminals/killers to combat the russians in Afghanistan. After Russia pulled out of Afghanistan, the terrorist forces the US organized destroyed the country, giving rise to the Taliban (which consisted of some mujahideen members that the US had financed and trained). Osama bin Laden (member of the mujahideen and trained by the US) founded al-qaida. The US stationed troops in Saudi Arabia (where some of the holiest muslim shrines are), imposed devastating sanctions on Iraq after the first gulf war (killing 500,000 children), and continued its support for Israel and its occupation of Palestine and still does.

Americans need to realize that the US isnt an innocent and benevolent government that got attacked out of the blue by Muslim extremists. The US has carried out numerous large scale terrorist attacks some of which I mentioned. I mean, suppose that al-qaeda were backed by a superpower and they stormed the white house, assassinated Bush, and installed a dictatorship (i'm referencing 9/11/73). Or suppose that iran overthrew the US government, installed a dictatorship, and than, once the dictator was overthrown, supported, say, Mexico in a chemical war against the US (referencing the 1953 coup and the Iran-iraq war).

So to finally answer your question, yes terrorism is a very serious threat, just ask the Palestinians who are under US-Israeli terrorist attack and have been for decades. Or ask Nicaraguans, Salvadorians, or Guatamalans who were under US terrorist attack in the 80s. Ask the south vietnamese who are still dieing from chemical warfare and still trying to recover from the US invasion of South Vietnam."

At the time of 9/11, I didn't realize how much it would change America radically. Now, with a mass amount of Americans legitimately fearing "terrorism", I find it odd that few stretch to realize the only main terrorist threat is their own country.

Of course, I was probably in elementary school at the time. I remember coming home and seeing it on the news, and that entire day felt oddly quiet.

Last edited by Hawkes : 09-11-2011 at 09:32 AM.

fatcat says thanks to Hawkes for this post.

Old 09-11-2011 at 09:35 AM   #30
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I was in P.S. 22 (school in Staten Island) when it happened. My mom came to my class and picked me up even when the teacher was saying "your child is safe here". My mom was like "the only place he's safe, is with me." I was so confused when it happened because the burning papers from the building and the thick black smoke was passing above my house. Till date, me and my cousin still have papers from the WTC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
P.S. 22? seriously? no joke, i think i might have gone to that school too in kindergarten. either p.s. 22 or p.s. 23. i think p.s. 23 sang on the oscars too, so i was kinda surprised to see them there on tv
excuse my ignorance... but im assuming many schools in nyc are given numbers instead of names?.... how many are there