MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Wet Laptop...New Laptop? Afzal Computers & Tech 84 12-26-2009 08:53 PM
1000 Things you learned from High School Shmowen General Discussion 41 08-18-2009 03:05 AM

$1000 Laptop

Old 05-26-2011 at 12:06 PM   #16
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by husayn12 View Post
Hmm k. Has anyone used a 15" laptop for school ... if so was it hard to carry around?
I have a 15" laptop and its not hard to carry around at all. Fits easily in my backpack and it is not that heavy. I've used a laptop much smaller and trust me it is really hard to see/type on it, especially if you plan on using it extensively for school work and personal use
Old 05-26-2011 at 12:32 PM   #17
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Hmm k. Has anyone used a 15" laptop for school ... if so was it hard to carry around?
I have a 15.6" and fits perfectly in my backpack. It's not heavy. Heavy only really comes in with food + water + books.
Old 05-26-2011 at 02:12 PM   #18
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

I would highly suggest going for Lenovo if you are looking for amazing customer support, warranty claim and durability. But for that you'll have to sacrifice on the looks of the laptop, if that doesnt matter to you much. If not 5, it will definitely last you a good 4 years.
Old 05-26-2011 at 03:54 PM   #19
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
If you're going to use your laptop as your main computer then get a 15". However, if you will only be using it for notes, then getting something smaller will be do-able since the eye strain and hassles associated with a smaller screen will only be limited to class use.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:00 PM   #20
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Anything smaller than 13" for use on a day to day basis. Just make sure to take periodic breaks from staring at your laptop screen by staring really far away for a minute or so and get back to it.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:01 PM   #21
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

So I researched into the Dell XPS 15z and it seems like a solid computer ... does anyone have any experiences with it? Has anyone seen a computer that they fell is better than the 15z ... like a Lenovo (I recall seeing that in an earlier post).

Thanks you all again.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:11 PM   #22
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

will a dell last you 5 years? my friend had her dell laptop for 3 years and it's dying now. can't run without its adaptor, overheats etc. I suggest doing a web search for reviews that other people have written on any computer you plan to buy.

also, my laptop is 13.5 inches and I can see and type just fine. It's comfortable and still light.
battery life is the most important thing though.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:18 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
will a dell last you 5 years? my friend had her dell laptop for 3 years and it's dying now. can't run without its adaptor, overheats etc. I suggest doing a web search for reviews that other people have written on any computer you plan to buy.

also, my laptop is 13.5 inches and I can see and type just fine. It's comfortable and still light.
battery life is the most important thing though.
A laptop depending on an adapter is the result of poor charging and discharging of the battery itself and is usually the fault of the end user charging the laptop when it is at 50% when you should charge it when it is near completely drained. Another scenario is when you just keep your laptop plugged in and the battery if fully charged but you don't allow it to discharge for a long period of time. Overheating is the result of usually a blockage of the air vents or a lot of dust and small items being stuck in the air vents. Ask your friend if the above applies to her.

Also, what laptop do you have? I really need to find a thin, light but somewhat powerful laptop.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:24 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
A laptop depending on an adapter is the result of poor charging and discharging of the battery itself and is usually the fault of the end user charging the laptop when it is at 50% when you should charge it when it is near completely drained. Another scenario is when you just keep your laptop plugged in and the battery if fully charged but you don't allow it to discharge for a long period of time.
That all only applies to NiCd batteries, which form gas bubbles on the charge surface if you don't discharge them all the way. Lithium-ion batteries have protection circuits which prevent things like that from happening to them. Pretty much anything made after ~2000 uses lithium-ion.

Tailsnake likes this.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:26 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I really need to find a thin, light but somewhat powerful laptop.
Look into the Lenovo x120e. It's light, very power efficient, reasonably powerful (discrete graphics + HDMI), ~$600 and doesn't afraid of anything.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:29 PM   #26
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
That all only applies to NiCd batteries, which form gas bubbles on the charge surface if you don't discharge them all the way. Lithium-ion batteries have protection circuits which prevent things like that from happening to them. Pretty much anything made after ~2000 uses lithium-ion.
All of my friends and I were forced in a sense to buy the same laptop for school and it is a lithium-ion battery but the thing I observed is what I stated above.

I don't like pointing sticks. :(
Old 05-26-2011 at 05:31 PM   #27
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
lolcharschars

don't laugh so quick. My pc is still going strong 4 years in. Mind you it was one of the first quad cores...
Old 05-26-2011 at 07:06 PM   #28
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Enjoy.

http://dealzon.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-y560-laptop
Old 05-26-2011 at 08:53 PM   #29
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I've had a Dell XPS 15 for awhile, it is alright but heating is a problem. A lot of people seems to be recommending lenovo or Asus which is what I've seen a lot of too lately on reviews as being okay.

I generally agree with Ownginatos when it comes to tech preferences but do your own research too.
Old 05-26-2011 at 10:10 PM   #30
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Isn't portability *and* wanting a gaming laptop a bit of a contradiction? Granted, I don't know much about pc laptops, but generally, gaming laptops are bulkier, and don't last long. I'd say get a Mac, but if you want to be able to play games, then a Mac wouldn't be the best choice.