MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
1280? Qadd General Discussion 31 08-26-2010 09:55 PM
So I went to 1280... SciMania Restaurants & Food Reviews 19 02-12-2010 12:27 AM
Do you like 1280? Kathy2 General Discussion 84 10-07-2009 11:01 AM
1280 joannasmith General Discussion 5 10-03-2009 11:08 AM
What do you want to see from 1280? Nino General Discussion 71 09-22-2009 10:07 AM

Published by adrian
09-14-2009
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Quality Of Food
70%70%70%
Prices
80%80%80%
Atmosphere
60%60%60%
Service
40%40%40%
Overall Experience
60%60%60%
Average 62%

So we went there for a MacInsiders getogether. While our party crated a good atmosphere amongst ourselves, the place itself was average at best. Or maybe my expectations of the place was to high(was it millions spent on it?)

Anyway, here is a breakdown:
Food, first:
I got the Irish nachos with chili. I'm not sure, but they seemed just like the lattice fries with some chillies, diced tomato and lettuce put on. They tasted quite alright. Nothing fancy, but then again it was fries and chili.

I tasted some Hell's Kitchen wings. Well, let's just say they stood up to the "hell" part. My mouth was hot for a good 20+ minutes. They were actually quite well made and tasted quite good(until my mouth exploded )

The prices:
Fair. Not too low or too high. Were to be expected.

The looks:
Had a few "too family restaurantish" from a few people close to me. I can't put my finger on it(meybe the yellow pillars that ended without touching the ceiling??), but the atmosphere does seem a bit too "bistro" for me. And a lot of yellow. Again, a feeling of average about the look - not cool enough .

Also way too cold for that day. I was shivering

The service:
Food came in a decent amount of time, especially for a big party. I've waited longer. But, the servers came by a bit too seldom. We had to call someone over to get some more drinks. When I wanted desert, I couldn't order it because the waitress was not there and didn't show up for some time, so I didn't want to wait more.

Also, payment was complicated, as there was a line of people for one cashier.

Overall:
Not bad, but could be better. I guess that's what is to be expected of a new place frequented by so many people during 1st week. Wish they were more prepared I guess.

Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for 1280!

Old 09-14-2009 at 01:59 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
Judging by what other people have said, I think you're being nice. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-16-2009 at 08:09 PM   #3
noodle13
Program: Economics
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 0 Times
A good tip is to get there before 10amish, because there are hardly any people, and the waiters come by quite frequently. And like was already said, the breakfast prices are very fair, and the food itself is pretty good.
Old 09-16-2009 at 08:54 PM   #4
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle13 View Post
A good tip is to get there before 10amish, because there are hardly any people, and the waiters come by quite frequently. And like was already said, the breakfast prices are very fair, and the food itself is pretty good.
ye, good tip. but who goes to the student resto-club(i'll admit I still think of it as the main student dance club _restaurant) before 10am. I don't even wake up before that. But I must try it sometime.

Although, we shouldn't need to wake up so we can get good service at a restaurant lol.

But thanks, I'll make the effort someday.

Old 09-17-2009 at 08:23 PM   #5
aurry
Program: Biology
Year: Alumni

Liked: Liked 3 Times
Went to 1280 for the first time today with other people from my lab for lunch. 6 of us in total. I was kind of worried based on the reviews I heard.

We got there and they told us to just go and find a place to sit, so we pulled two tables together.

The service was pretty good. We got our drinks and food in a timely matter, no complaints there. The food was decent too. I loved the lattice fries The atmosphere was also really nice

Complaints:

It was FREEZING in there. We were all shivering and had goosebumps.

One of my lattice fries was green. Green potatoes are poisonous, so I didn't eat it.

The mason jar glasses weirded me out a bit. Don't get me wrong, I have glasses like that at my cottage, but at 1280 they seemed out of place

Overall it was pretty decent. I'll return for a lab lunch when none of us feel like going to the Phoenix. And I'll bring a sweater
Old 09-20-2009 at 02:22 PM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member
Program: Biology

Liked: 300 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurry View Post
Went to 1280 for the first time today with other people from my lab for lunch. 6 of us in total. I was kind of worried based on the reviews I heard.

We got there and they told us to just go and find a place to sit, so we pulled two tables together.

The service was pretty good. We got our drinks and food in a timely matter, no complaints there. The food was decent too. I loved the lattice fries The atmosphere was also really nice

Complaints:

It was FREEZING in there. We were all shivering and had goosebumps.

One of my lattice fries was green. Green potatoes are poisonous, so I didn't eat it.

The mason jar glasses weirded me out a bit. Don't get me wrong, I have glasses like that at my cottage, but at 1280 they seemed out of place

Overall it was pretty decent. I'll return for a lab lunch when none of us feel like going to the Phoenix. And I'll bring a sweater
i did not know that.. i guess i shud stop eatin those random green chips i sometimes find in the bag..
Old 09-23-2009 at 10:37 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
LOL. I think their lattice fries are one of the only decent items on the menu. Oh, and chicken fingers, but how can anyone mess up chicken fingers? [Okay they messed up lasagna... ]
Old 09-25-2009 at 02:41 PM   #8
crucif3x
Program: Life Science
Year: First
Residence: Moulton Hall

Liked: 21 Times
Well the shaved beef was decent, so the food there is alright. Although, in one half of the sandwich, the avocado was not skinned. It would've gotten full marks if it had been skinned. But other than that... it was about average to below average. Here are some pictures of the food... they were taken with an iPhone 3GS so the quality's not great, but hey, it didn't look that great to begin with.

Shaved Beef: http://i36.tinypic.com/2vkeujp.jpg
Salad: http://i33.tinypic.com/2na6zvo.jpg
Irish Nachos: http://i37.tinypic.com/s42r1e.jpg
Chicken Fingers: http://i34.tinypic.com/iddpva.jpg
Burgers:

As you can see, the food was fairly average. Nothing too special, but nothing too bad either. With the exception of the lasagna, which somehow was cooked into a "soup" form and when asked to exchange it, all they did was re-plate it...

Lasagna "soup": http://i35.tinypic.com/qrg03s.jpg
Lasagna "soup" after: http://i37.tinypic.com/2dahlqo.jpg

Other than that, I thought the food was decent. Service could be better but I'll see in a few months and give final judgment. Since they do need some time to get used to things and learn the procedures. Though, it baffels me how the waitress couldn't even remember what ice cream there was when there was only one flavor... Obviously, the AC was WAY too cold. I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts and froze during the whole meal. Overall, 65%. Pass, but barely and only because my shaved beef was delicious.
- Moulton Hall
Old 09-30-2009 at 08:34 PM   #9
BlakeM
Elite Member
Program: Mechanical Engineering

Liked: 121 Times
Went there today with a friend, my last 2 trips were good, but decided to get the fish and chips. Oh dear God, terrible, terrible fish. Tasted like the crap fish sticks you get at Food Basics for 3$ for the pack. Just nasty. Good service, and food was delivered quickly. Just bad fish. Do NOT GET IT!
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:24 PM   #10
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Went there today ...fish sticks you get at Food Basics ...
you liek fishsticks?
Old 09-30-2009 at 10:27 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
you liek fishsticks?
... Adrian, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish... but Kanye is one of the gayest fish of all time! *shrugs*
Old 10-01-2009 at 08:57 AM   #12
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
... Adrian, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish... but Kanye is one of the gayest fish of all time! *shrugs*
hahahah
Old 10-04-2009 at 12:53 AM   #13
samantha__
Elite Member
Program: Economics & Business

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
YAY SOUTH PARK <3 hahaha

I dont see the point in posting a full review since everyone's said pretty much everything I'm thinking, but the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich is BOMBBBBBB. Oh and the fries are awesome, thank you very muchhh.

Old 10-07-2009 at 07:19 PM   #14
BlakeM
Elite Member
Program: Mechanical Engineering

Liked: 121 Times
Went to 1280 for wing night with Jeff Chan, RoyK and another friend. Good wings, the brownie + ice cream is ridiculously good, but from entrance to exit took 2 hours 15 minutes. Jeff left at 6 after being there for an hour, had his wings, got his payment and left. Me and the other 2 ordered desert, and got out 75 minutes later. O_O
Looked like only 3 waiters were working, and another guy came in later on near the end, and even then the service was suppper slow. The guys working were pretty much running the entire time, so I wouldn't say its their fault, as they were hauling ass. Just seemed really understaffed.
Old 08-27-2010 at 05:56 PM   #15
sidhui
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
I went here once and i was very disappointed. The service was pretty bad. I had to wait an hour for my food and the glasses/jars that the drinks were served in weren't clean.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search