MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1280 adrian Restaurants & Food Reviews 16 09-05-2013 05:26 PM
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
1280 joannasmith General Discussion 5 10-03-2009 11:08 AM
The New Quarters Will Be Called "1280" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 36 07-17-2009 07:20 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

1280... A new bustling business or a repeat of last years' Quarters?

Old 09-16-2009 at 03:15 PM   #61
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Great questions Rohan! Hopefully we'll see some suggestions for improvement here
Old 09-16-2009 at 03:35 PM   #62
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

1) Do you tip, if yes, how much compared to what you would tip at Boston Pizza?
- 15% regularly, more if the service is good.

2) Do you have any serving experience? If yes, what would you do operationally at 1280 that you think they are not doing?
- Customer service, yes. I also helped out a family friend at a restaurant for a while. What aren't they doing? I haven't been to 1280, but from what others have said, they need to be a bit more customer friendly. For instance, if there's a patron waiting, seat them as soon as possible and take their order. Obviously there will be times when the kitchen will have delays, which is understandable, but usually if you let the customer know they'll be appreciative that you're keeping them updated. Unlike that one incident when someone was told that they should "just eat it anyway".

3) Does the time you wait at a bar night for a drink affect your overall impression of 1280?

Yes.

4) What do you consider a proper price point for a 6oz burger and fries?

I don't eat burgers, so N/A.

Last edited by Lij : 09-16-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2009 at 03:37 PM   #63
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

I don't eat burgers, so N/A.
I'm just trying to get a standard for people's opinions on price, so, were you to ever order the burgers, how much would you pay.
Old 09-16-2009 at 03:41 PM   #64
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

For a good quality burger, probably $7?

I haven't eaten one in ages, so I wouldn't know if that's an accurate estimate.
Old 09-16-2009 at 03:44 PM   #65
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
For a good quality burger, probably $7?

I haven't eaten one in ages, so I wouldn't know if that's an accurate estimate.
$7 is a good quality fast-food burger. For a high-quality hand-made burger with potentially unusual toppings, spices, flavours, I'd expect $12-15 depending on the restaurant.

I don't think that's what 1280 is or should be going for though
Old 09-16-2009 at 03:50 PM   #66
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

I have now gotten a great thesis idea hahaha.
Old 09-16-2009 at 04:48 PM   #67
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
I have some questions for people.

2) Do you have any serving experience? If yes, what would you do operationally at 1280 that you think they are not doing?

3) Does the time you wait at a bar night for a drink affect your overall impression of 1280?

1. I usually double the taxes for a tip. I always hear that you're supposed to tip 15%, but I feel weird tipping so little when the tax is only like $1.20. I normally tip $3 to $5, or more if I have an expensive meal.

2. Yes, I used to waitress. I would suggest 1280 hire more than one cook and a few more servers on the busy nights. I can't imagine what that poor cook was dealing with lat week! I feel bad for him.

3. I rarely drink at bars.

4. $5 - $7
Old 09-16-2009 at 06:12 PM   #68
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
I have some questions for people.

1) 15% or so, more if the service and food is good...and if I math fail.

2) Some, but very little. As previously said, no one should be standing by doing nothing. There are things to fill, things to prep, etc. You should be in communication with your patrons if there is a delay in the kitchen. You should first confirm what everyone ordered before giving the order to the kitchen, especially if there is a large party. If you make a mistake apologize, and do your best to fix it ASAP! Just because someone is buying things from you doesn't mean you should be using please, thank you, hello how are you etc.

3) Yes? I don't drink often and nor have I gone to 1280 since it opened...but waiting for more than 5 minutes for a drink (any drink) pisses me off.

I also don't like how female servers tend to serve males...just serve whoever is close to you, dammit.

I will tip you if you serve me well. I have not left tips for girls because they served two "rounds" of people on either side of me as well as others before I got served...not cool.

4) Not eating beef I shall convert into chicken and/or veggie: $7-8, $8-10 or so...it depends on what is on the burger (i.e. is it just burger with condiments or is there a special mayo/sauce etc)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-16-2009 at 08:46 PM   #69
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:

No more then $7 including taxes. But that's just me! There is a point beyond which psychologically I won't just pay for food no matter what my bank balance is like.

Most of the items in the 1280 Menu fall under that category. Hence I am more likely to get Subway $5.07 or $4.59 or a Little Caesars for $5.75 or even spend a larger amount of money for a Quesidilla(sp)/Burrito(Jimmy Gringo's) 7.60 I think? Because the food at Gringo's is worth it!

If the aim is to make 1280 a thing people eat on a more regular basis and is affordable, 1280 isn't that effective.

As a classy place to eat once in a while with other people; it does the trick I suppose(Assuming the food quality is good). But is that good enough for 1280 to atleast break even? :S

At 1280 the basic burger would cost me $7.30(with cheese)+tax & tip! And I don't think its served with fries!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-16-2009 at 09:02 PM   #70
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

There is no room for error in business. There is no room for mediocrity in creating results. Proactivity, not reactivity is what completes the strategic objectives in a business plan.

I don't believe in excuses for poor customer service. It cannot be compromised - at any cost, in any situation.

--

James Steels

Old 09-16-2009 at 09:12 PM   #71
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
No more then $7 including taxes. But that's just me! There is a point beyond which psychologically I won't just pay for food no matter what my bank balance is like.

Most of the items in the 1280 Menu fall under that category. Hence I am more likely to get Subway $5.07 or $4.59 or a Little Caesars for $5.75 or even spend a larger amount of money for a Quesidilla(sp)/Burrito(Jimmy Gringo's) 7.60 I think? Because the food at Gringo's is worth it!

If the aim is to make 1280 a thing people eat on a more regular basis and is affordable, 1280 isn't that effective.

As a classy place to eat once in a while with other people; it does the trick I suppose(Assuming the food quality is good). But is that good enough for 1280 to atleast break even? :S

At 1280 the basic burger would cost me $7.30(with cheese)+tax & tip! And I don't think its served with fries!
All burgers are served with a side (fries, onion rings or salad) at 1280.

I agree that it's not feasible to eat at 1280 every day. But in all honesty, if you compare the 1280 prices and portions to La Piazza, it's not that bad.

My boyfriend and I go to 1280 for lunch sometimes and we split a sandwich or a wrap. Say we get the Chicken Wrap with fries and two drinks - it comes to $10. The portion of half a wrap and half a side of fries is the same size as many things in La Piazza, and we're only paying $5 each. At La Piazza, for a wrap, fries and a drink, it would be $7 - $9.
Old 09-16-2009
FireDragoonX
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-16-2009
huzaifa47
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-17-2009 at 01:05 PM   #72
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I math fail.
It took me shockingly long to figure this out, but there's an easy way to do %s.

If it's a number that's divisible by 5 (like 20 or 15) then it's easy. Otherwise, just divide the price by 100, then add the result up as many times as percent you want.

So 17% = 10% + 5% + 2% = 10% + 5% + 1% + 1%.

If the price is $12, then 10% is 1.2, and 5% is half of that, so 0.6 making the running total 1.8. 1% of 12 is 0.12, so 2% is 0.24. Thus 17% of 12 is 2.04.

It's all about breaking things into numbers that are related to 10 (or 10 and similarly easy numbers like 2). We count in base-10, so doing multiplication by 10-numbers is fun! Once you see these relationships and practice a bit you can do tips in your head pretty quickly.

adrian likes this.
Old 09-17-2009 at 01:13 PM   #73
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I usually math fail on the debit machine trying to make the tip so that it rounds up to an even dollar amount.

Although that's usually at the west end, and I'm usually drunk... hahaha