MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have 18 units in first term JayT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-03-2010 04:03 PM
6 units of first year engineering electives kevcom First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-01-2010 11:56 PM
Courses and Units DilC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-10-2010 04:15 PM
How many first year units are you maxed out at in an honours program? demelo_b Academics 6 09-17-2009 05:54 PM
Max number of units Omega_X13 Academics 2 06-25-2008 08:04 PM

24 units in first year?

Old 06-28-2010 at 10:51 AM   #1
Linh

Liked: 0 Times

24 units in first year?
Hi, I will be a first year Medical Radiation Sciences student for the 2010/2011 academic year and it is noted that 6 elective units are required. I have a first year sociology credit from U of T and was wondering if I could use it towards my first year elective requirement. Would it be possible that I take 24 units in first year instead of 30 seeing as the sociology credit is worth 6 units?

I was going to call the school, but it's long-distance from where I am, so it would be very helpful if I could try to get some answers here first.

thanks!
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:55 AM   #2
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

I had transfer credits from niagara college and when I got in they sent a letter saying I could use them towards upper year electives. I don't know if you got anything like that, if you email the registrar or your faculty coordinator they might be able to give you more details about transfer credits.
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:56 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh View Post
Hi, I will be a first year Medical Radiation Sciences student for the 2010/2011 academic year and it is noted that 6 elective units are required. I have a first year sociology credit from U of T and was wondering if I could use it towards my first year elective requirement. Would it be possible that I take 24 units in first year instead of 30 seeing as the sociology credit is worth 6 units?

I was going to call the school, but it's long-distance from where I am, so it would be very helpful if I could try to get some answers here first.

thanks!
You would have to contact the school. Did you transfer from UofT or did you just take the course there? Because if you just took the course, you would have needed to get a letter of permission before taking it so that you can transfer the credit to McMaster.
Old 06-28-2010 at 11:00 AM   #4
Linh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You would have to contact the school. Did you transfer from UofT or did you just take the course there? Because if you just took the course, you would have needed to get a letter of permission before taking it so that you can transfer the credit to McMaster.
I actually got the credit from a course that was offered at my high school in partnership with U of T.
I e-mailed Mac, but they haven't answered back yet
I'll probably try calling them tomorrow
Old 06-28-2010 at 11:01 AM   #5
Linh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkozina View Post
I had transfer credits from niagara college and when I got in they sent a letter saying I could use them towards upper year electives. I don't know if you got anything like that, if you email the registrar or your faculty coordinator they might be able to give you more details about transfer credits.
So that meant you weren't allowed to use it towards your first year?
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:07 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I actually got the credit from a course that was offered at my high school in partnership with U of T.
I e-mailed Mac, but they haven't answered back yet
I'll probably try calling them tomorrow
Oh, kind of like AP then? The only way to know if it'll be accepted for sure is from McMaster. It'll take some time for them to respond.

I suggest registering for the 6 units of electives in the mean time. Give them about a week to answer your question and if they don't, just by a 5$ long distance calling card and call them.
Old 07-07-2010 at 07:38 AM   #7
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
So that meant you weren't allowed to use it towards your first year?
Yes, what happened was I took all my first year classes and then the just credited those as my electives. I think it's better to just have a full load in first and second year and then use electives for upper years when you have more involved assignments and thesis projects. This way you have some free time to dedicate to less assignments.
Thats just me though.

Linh says thanks to vkozina for this post.