MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
double major mike123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-10-2009 04:53 PM
Double Major goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-13-2009 10:16 PM
double major? jordanrogers General Discussion 8 03-01-2009 08:01 PM
double major salad13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-28-2008 04:45 PM
Double Major katie_batt Academics 1 06-25-2008 07:58 PM

2nd year Business Student looking to do a Double Major in Math & Stats

Old 08-01-2009 at 12:50 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

2nd year Business Student looking to do a Double Major in Math & Stats
I've thought about doing a minor in Math & Stats but literally, all the courses I need have been full on Solar for the past month. So I'm thinking of switching into a double major so that I can get a spot in the required classes.

Anyways.

1) Is this possible?
2) How do I go about this?
3) Also, is it too late to apply for a double major, it being August and all?

Very vague questions, I know. But I am CLUELESS and still can't use the websites or figure out who to phone. Lol.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-01-2009 at 12:56 PM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't think there's a double major in Math and Business...and even if it were, I really wouldn't recommend it, since 4th year business and math are both quite difficult.

Which classes are you trying to get into? Perhaps let's start there, and we can work out a way for you to complete your minor.
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:08 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Math 1A03
Math 1AA3
Math 1B03

All of which are full.

I also tried to see if I could retake Math 1M03 because if I get a grade that is 10.0 or higher, I could take Math 1AA3 without taking 1A03. But 1M03 is also full. And I'm under the impression that you can't retake a 1st year business course anyways.
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:12 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

You can retake any course you like to improve your grade...so long as it's not full.

I'm slightly confused though, you're entering your 2nd year and have just now decided to do a minor?
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:17 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Ah, well, it's full.

And I thought about it during first year too...Thing is, I really hate the business program. At least, I really hated first year. But I love math. And I always kind of assumed that there would be more than one math course required for a four year business program, but that's not the case. Just one, and it was in first year.

So yea. Hate business, love math, don't have the balls to switch programs and waste away first year and approximately 14 grand.

I need math. Hence...the minor. Or at least, the attempt at a minor.

Also, I figured the minor was doable even though I was starting in 2nd year (was planning on doing summer school as well) but I really wasn't accounting for every class to be full.
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:26 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Potentially you can still complete it even with them being full, if you take 1A/1AA/1B in the summer...then doing 2X/2XX, Stats 2D next year, and then doing 2 or 3 more courses in your final year, depending on your interests.

Or...perhaps consider taking 1X/1XX. They're the harder, slightly more theoretical versions of Calc I and II that Math majors take, and you could probably get into those. And they're certainly backward compatible with 1A/1AA since those are 'easier' versions.

Try contacting the department of math and stats and explaining your interest and situation. They may be able to open a spot for you.

-------------------

Though I do think you should consider switching anyway...many people have the misconception that 'losing a year' is a waste of time and money.

But is it really so? You wouldn't have known you feel the way you do without trying it out...University is about personal discovery much more than it is about finances or what shows up on your transcript. You're supposed to be trained to do what you love, and if you get lost along the way it's not the end of the world.

Weigh the pros and cons here...you 'waste' a year and 14000 to know that your efforts are better spent in math, switch there and work through, enjoy yourself and potentially get a job in a math related field, or even go on to academia with a Masters/PhD program.

On the other hand, you can suffer for 3 years knowing in the back of your mind that you hate what you're doing, get a job as an accountant (for example), and always regret not switching. It really is up to you, but that decision seems like a no brainer to me personally.

(Myself, I did 3 years of Kinesiology, determined to go to Medical school. Then one day I said "I don't really want to do this, I'd rather do Math." Sure enough I switched and graduated in Math.)

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-01-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:35 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

The 1X courses are only available to the students enrolled in the math program, though. Otherwise I would try and enroll in them because difficulty isn't the issue with me, haha.

Thanks for the concern. One of the other reasons why I decided not to switch programs was because I want to see if it does get better. I mean, there was essentially one business course in first year... As opposed to every course I'm enrolled in for 2nd year are ALL business courses. So I am hoping I'll like it more. Can't say I enjoyed having to take courses like Anthropology. Not my thing.

I've never done summer school (or looked into it). Would the courses even be offered?
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:45 PM   #8
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You can't double major with commerce. :(

lawleypop says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 01:58 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I've never done summer school (or looked into it). Would the courses even be offered?
I'm pretty sure those 3 have been offered every year I've been at Mac.

lawleypop says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 07:19 PM   #10
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I wouldn't recommend this. You're already in second year :S. Why not just take like finance or something and do all the business maths available?
Old 08-01-2009 at 07:20 PM   #11
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
The 1X courses are only available to the students enrolled in the math program, though. Otherwise I would try and enroll in them because difficulty isn't the issue with me, haha.
Oh, if you contact the math department and explain them your interests, you can enroll I'm pretty sure
Old 08-02-2009 at 03:42 AM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Also, just a quick question... even if those courses weren't full, it seems a little difficult trying to complete a minor in something when I only have room for 3 more units. All my 27 units are required 2nd year business courses.

Is there a way to bypass the 30 unit limit? o_O

I can't even take the only other elective that I'm slightly interested in (French 1K06) because it goes over the 30 units. Kinda lame...
Old 08-02-2009 at 04:00 AM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Also, just a quick question... even if those courses weren't full, it seems a little difficult trying to complete a minor in something when I only have room for 3 more units. All my 27 units are required 2nd year business courses.

Is there a way to bypass the 30 unit limit? o_O

I can't even take the only other elective that I'm slightly interested in (French 1K06) because it goes over the 30 units. Kinda lame...
You can overload up to 6 more units (3 per semester) as long as your CGPA is over a 7.0.

That being said, I would recommend NOT overloading in 2nd year.

lawleypop says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 08-02-2009 at 04:02 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You can overload up to 6 more units (3 per semester) as long as your CGPA is over a 7.0.

That being said, I would recommend NOT overloading in 2nd year.
Ah, okay. I'll keep that in mind. And yea, people say 2nd year business is pretty hard.

I guess I'll be phoning the math office tomorrow or monday.