MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Engineering... Second Year Chemistry? hydravien First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-23-2009 10:43 PM
First Year Chemistry Lab Times Kait91 General Discussion 4 08-21-2009 10:20 AM
Chemistry 1A03 - Final Exam Prep Courses? Neilius Academics 3 10-11-2008 09:28 AM
First year Chemistry Question kenvin100 Academics 4 08-19-2008 10:46 PM

2nd year chemistry courses

Old 05-20-2011 at 12:31 PM   #1
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

2nd year chemistry courses
Since a lot of people has been messaging me about them so I'm just going to make a thread and share a small review. This is for people who are going into 2nd year chemistry or interested in taking a 2nd year chemistry elective course.

Analytical chem (2AA3): Do the practice questions, the textbook is optional as long as you go to all the lectures and write down notes (no online notes). This class is pretty easy as long as you are not behind. The math and concepts are very straight forward in this class, this is a good elective choice!

Organic (2OC3/2OD3): Harder than OA3 and OB3 but there is no lab component, you MUST attend all lectures and practice ALOT, if you don't understand a mechanism/reaction make sure you ask. The assignments/tests questions are never regurgitation, you have to understand the concept and apply them! Read your textbook for more examples. MEMORIZATION ALONE WILL NOT WORK FOR THESE COURSES

Physical chem (2PD3): Dr. S is very nice, she posts ALL her lecture notes online, but its really beneficial to go to lectures because she shows you sample questions that is going to be on the test and walks you through it (she also likes to put practice questions on the test). This year we had a major essay + presentation instead of having assignments (she said she wanted to try something new this year) and we all said we preferred assignments, so I'm not sure if she will keep it the same or revert back to assignments. Textbook is pretty useless, there are plenty of practice questions provided. Having a good calculus background is a big advantage for this class.

Inorganic chem (2II3): Tough class, make sure you attend lectures because Dr. Vargas mentions a lot of things in class thats going to be on tests. This course has a tutorial that is optional but you get 10% bonus mark potentially if you get the questions on the quizzes right in the tutorial. (this should show you how tough this class is if theres a 10% bonus mark available!). He does put his lecture slides online but there are no words on them, just pictures (not very helpful...). Reading your textbook is a MUST for this class. There are no assignments for this class.

Lab courses (2LA3/2LB3): (honours chem student only) Both courses are extremely time consuming. They are not hard, but you need to put A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT (+ many sleepless nights) just for these lab courses. You have to thoroughly prepare and read your experiment before doing your lab (the write-ups are no cake walk either, much harder than 1st year labs). You have to do 2 4-hour labs per week for both terms... and that reminds me a lot of painful memories...

If you have any questions or anymore input about these courses feel free to post them!

Last edited by Serene : 05-20-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Aditi92, evilgino, Kayee, particle, Sheikia, SROS all say thanks to Serene for this post.

Old 05-20-2011 at 02:58 PM   #2
evilgino

Liked: 56 Times

You are awesome! Thank-you.
Old 05-20-2011 at 06:36 PM   #3
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Hello my love .

Here are my 2 cents on the second year courses:

Analytical chemistry: The prof teaching it this year has retired so the outline for next year is probably going to be COMPLETELY different.

Orgo (both): I loved orgo. The classes are super small and both profs are very approachable and did their best to help. Dr. Harrison postponed the deadline for some of the assignments because our schedules were insane.

Physical Chemistry: I honestly don't understand why we needed to know half the stuff she taught. But she was very friendly

Inorgo: Go to class. And stay AWAKE.

Labs : HELL ON EARTH. Thanks to these 2 courses (1 each term), I honestly felt like I didn't have time to breathe let alone sleep. It made me cry black tears of anguish from the very depths of my black, black soul.

Serene says thanks to amyshi for this post.

Aditi92, Serene like this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 03:25 PM   #4
mini1s

Liked: 0 Times

Would you recommend not taking chem 2ii3 as an elective?
Old 06-19-2011 at 07:25 PM   #5
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1s View Post
Would you recommend not taking chem 2ii3 as an elective?
Unless you are REALLY interested... no. 2AA3 is much better, and easier too.
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:05 AM   #6
SROS

Liked: 1 Time

hellooo so im going into chem this coming school year and i just wanted to get your opinions on how you liked the program, if youre in it to go into a particular field, difficulty of the material compared to first year, course load, etc. just stuff like that.
I've always loved chem and have done better in it than any other subject at mac and even in highschool. I plan on going into pharmacy, but of course would like to have back ups.
I went to all the career/program events for chem last year, and have talked to chembio students and have gotten their opinions but from no one actually in chem.
dont know why but i just feel a bit anxious since i dont hear about the program much. anyways please let me know!