MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lupe Fiasco - Lasers Rakim Music 2 03-01-2011 12:07 AM
Advice for 4th year... caroline54 Academics 5 08-24-2009 12:56 PM
Advice about schedule (2nd year) Kira Academics 12 06-16-2009 09:28 AM
Advice For First Year Science Students nisha First Year Success 3 06-24-2008 12:10 PM

2nd year fiasco - advice pls?

Old 06-12-2011 at 11:44 PM   #1
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

2nd year fiasco - advice pls?
I'm part-time. I have 24 units from 1st year. My academic advisor told me to go ahead and register for 2nd year. I go on SOLAR tonight and select my major and now I'm ineligible/locked out of elective courses I need to complete remaining 6 units.

If I'm correct, I can't register for 2nd year courses either because I don't have my 30 units yet.... (if I'm wrong - please let me know so I can try to jump back on tonight and register!)

at the moment I'm feeling totally screwed over and I'm hoping it's not as bad as it seems and am not signed up for anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

edit: was able to get 2nd yr.. but then how do i get outstanding electives?

Last edited by soltintal : 06-13-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:40 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltintal View Post
I'm part-time. I have 24 units from 1st year. My academic advisor told me to go ahead and register for 2nd year. I go on SOLAR tonight and select my major and now I'm ineligible/locked out of elective courses I need to complete remaining 6 units.

If I'm correct, I can't register for 2nd year courses either because I don't have my 30 units yet.... (if I'm wrong - please let me know so I can try to jump back on tonight and register!)

at the moment I'm feeling totally screwed over and I'm hoping it's not as bad as it seems and am not signed up for anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

edit: was able to get 2nd yr.. but then how do i get outstanding electives?
You should be able to register in any course in which you have the prerequisites. I'm confused as to what you are having trouble with. Contacting an academic advisor would probably be the best course of action. I don't even know how you've moved on the Level II if you haven't completed Level I yet...

soltintal says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

soltintal likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:49 PM   #3
soltintal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't even know how you've moved on the Level II if you haven't completed Level I yet...
I'm not entirely sure either. I saw my academic advisor back in March and she said that since I have 24 credits and Course List 1 requirements finished, go ahead and apply for 2nd year and pick up my missing electives "along the way".

I do have a request in to see her again, and I'm just awaiting a reply. I was trying to find out because I can't move forward with applying for funding unless I know for sure that it's all legit... so I'm a bit anxious.

I'm confused because SOLAR didn't allow me to pick the remaining 1st year electives I need (because I'm registered as 2nd year). It DID allow me to pick 2nd year courses, but I'm wondering if I'm really allowed to take them since I have 6 units outstanding in 1st year.

The joys of part-time I guess. LOL Anyway, thanks for trying to help as you're the only person who made an attempt.
Old 06-14-2011 at 01:24 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltintal View Post
I'm not entirely sure either. I saw my academic advisor back in March and she said that since I have 24 credits and Course List 1 requirements finished, go ahead and apply for 2nd year and pick up my missing electives "along the way".

I do have a request in to see her again, and I'm just awaiting a reply. I was trying to find out because I can't move forward with applying for funding unless I know for sure that it's all legit... so I'm a bit anxious.

I'm confused because SOLAR didn't allow me to pick the remaining 1st year electives I need (because I'm registered as 2nd year). It DID allow me to pick 2nd year courses, but I'm wondering if I'm really allowed to take them since I have 6 units outstanding in 1st year.

The joys of part-time I guess. LOL Anyway, thanks for trying to help as you're the only person who made an attempt.
You can take any course as long as you have the prerequisites. I just don't know how you would choose electives for Level I after you've moved on to Level II because Level I is one part and Level II-IV is another part (or atleast that's how my degree audit shows it).
Old 06-16-2011 at 09:45 PM   #5
soltintal

i am updating my own post for the sole purpose of having it here if other people run into the same problem since i seem to be about the only part-time person on MI.

my academic advisor got back to me today and YES, i can move on and take 2nd year courses with only 24 credits from 1st year.

the outstanding electives must be made up by the time i reach the end of my degree.

whether this is unique to anthro or soc sci, i'm not entirely sure... i would still recommend anyone in my situation talk to an advisor.