MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Year Comp. Eng. Schedule blackdragon Academics 13 05-06-2010 07:42 AM
Advice for 4th year... caroline54 Academics 5 08-24-2009 12:56 PM
First Year Course Schedule.. anyone have same classes?? Cassandraa87 Academics 10 08-20-2009 11:14 AM
Advice on my schedule LBJ.MVP Academics 2 06-28-2009 10:55 PM
3rd Year Econ Classes - Need Some Advice :) PTGregD Academics 0 06-23-2009 12:15 AM

Advice about schedule (2nd year)

Old 06-15-2009 at 02:16 PM   #1
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Advice about schedule (2nd year)
Hi,
I'm going into second year honours Biochem (biotechnology and genetic engineering). I get to pick 2 electives this year. I decided to take Stats 2B03 first term, since I'll have to complete it by next year anyways. I had planned on taking Physics 1BB3 in second term, but it conflicts with one of my bio chem courses (which only has 1 class).
First of all, I need advice on what other course I could take. I have heard that the biochem classes are pretty hard, so I don't want to take another hard course. I'm not that great with writting essays (but wouldn't mind a class that has both essays and other methods for tests). And first year, I had psych and math as my electives. Any suggestions?
Also, I was thinking about taking physics 1BB3 during next summer. I'm wondering if it makes a different to take a course during the regular year or summer. I mean in terms of other schools looking at my transcript later. Any one have any experience/advice regarding this?
Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 06-15-2009 at 02:21 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

When you take a course doesn't really matter. It also doesn't really matter much where you take it, as you will have to get transcripts from all schools attended if you're planning on applying for any post-grad studies.

Most Humanities classes have 1-2 essays a term, and a final; and depending on the specific course a midterm or two as well. Social Science courses are easier to write tests for, so they have at least one midterm, 1-2 papers and a final.

If you're thinking of taking a course outside of area of study, think about what interests you. And also, check out the reviews section, there are LOTS of course reviews there to check out. You are also able to take first year courses too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Kira says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-15-2009 at 02:34 PM   #3
Kira

o wow... thanks for the quick reply.
That helps.
I didn't really think about taking more first year courses. But that makes a lot of sense now that you have mentioned it . I'll take a look at the reviews.
Thanks again
Old 06-15-2009 at 03:08 PM   #4
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

If you are considering taking summer courses next year, you may have the option to take Stats 2B03 then as well. The list of courses offered may change year to year however I would think it would remain a summer course next year- I am in it right now and there are quite a few students taking it. Taking any of your courses during the summer benefits you and lightens your course load during the year.
I took all the biochem courses this past year and definitely would recommend trying to pick up an elective that is something that interests you and is a bit easier as you do become quite busy during the semester. That said, i had no 'easy' courses or electives in one of my semesters and got by fine with decent marks, it's just lots of work and dedication

Kira says thanks to Ashlie for this post.
Old 06-15-2009 at 03:31 PM   #5
Kira

Hey Ashlie,
If you don't mind sharing, what were your electives last year?
I was reading the biochem reviews. For the second term course (biochem 2BB3), I remember reading how the students got very hard assignments, where they had to write 50 pages or so to get a good mark. Is that as bad as it sounds?
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:30 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Also, I was thinking about taking physics 1BB3 during next summer. I'm wondering if it makes a different to take a course during the regular year or summer. I mean in terms of other schools looking at my transcript later. Any one have any experience/advice regarding this?
Thanks to anyone who can help.
It depends on what you want to go into. I know certain med schools don't count your summer marks, but they'll see the credit.

As for 2nd year courses: most psychs are good in terms of ease/interest..., biology 2f03 =p
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:34 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Really? Some med schools don't accept summer marks? Do you know which ones? Perhaps some links please?
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:36 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Really? Some med schools don't accept summer marks? Do you know which ones? Perhaps some links please?

U of T, Western, Queens (though there are two systems:: the first based on your best 2 years, the other based on overall I think), Ottawa.

Too lazy to link them, I'd check the sites out yourself.
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:39 PM   #9
Kira

Wait, just to clarify. You said the med schools don't count the mark. So it will not be part of our average. But they'll still accept the credit? If that's the case, then it doesn't really make a difference.
Thanks for the info

Last edited by Kira : 06-15-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:45 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Wow, very interesting. I gave up on UofT's website after 5 minutes. But let's be honest, UofT's website is the worst to navigate.

Here's what I found for Western though:

"Have registered in courses in such a way that there have been at least two full academic years (taken during September - April) in which a minimum of 5 full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) have been taken concurrently. This must be the case regardless of the course load required by the program in which the applicant is enrolled." (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education...20080 930.pdf)
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:47 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
Wait, just to clarify. You said the med schools don't count the mark. So it will not be part of our average. But they'll still accept the credit? If that's the case, then it doesn't really make a difference.
Thanks for the info
I'm not sure for med schools, but for other professional programs you need to have a certain average in specific courses. If it's a specific course you need to take then you should probably take it in the regular year. Although it doesn't really make sense. I'm pretty confused at the moment.
Old 06-15-2009 at 06:48 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
Thanks for the info

Yup, they accept the credit.

They just don't include it in your GPA calculations.

jhan523 - yeah, that's why I didn't want to find specific links. Most of the sites are awful to navigate.
Old 06-16-2009 at 09:28 AM   #13
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

Hey Kira, I sent you a personal message about electives and my experience in some of the courses in second year.

amyshi likes this.