MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i need help with first year courses! marianyousif First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 06-07-2011 10:35 AM
Anyone in Philosophy 3Q03 - Philosophy of Law? MacStudent06 Academics 2 09-29-2010 07:06 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
2nd Year in 3rd Year Courses. Bad idea? abbyabs Academics 16 07-09-2010 10:50 PM
First year taking 2nd year courses Z3phyr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-05-2010 12:51 PM

4th year philosophy courses

Old 06-08-2011 at 08:11 AM   #1
Steph.Lau

Liked: 1 Time

4th year philosophy courses
Does anyone know if seats for 4th year philosophy courses are only open to those in the humanities faculty until sectioning occurs?

I'm not in humanities myself, and on the first day of course selection, I noticed that ALL the 4th year philosophy classes (with the exception of the thesis course and the independent study course) were listed as "full" (including ones that I wouldn't suspect would be super popular, e.g. Medieval philosophy). Since then, I've been checking SOLAR quite frequently but it doesn't seem like any spots have opened up.

Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:01 AM   #2
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph.Lau View Post
Does anyone know if seats for 4th year philosophy courses are only open to those in the humanities faculty until sectioning occurs?

I'm not in humanities myself, and on the first day of course selection, I noticed that ALL the 4th year philosophy classes (with the exception of the thesis course and the independent study course) were listed as "full" (including ones that I wouldn't suspect would be super popular, e.g. Medieval philosophy). Since then, I've been checking SOLAR quite frequently but it doesn't seem like any spots have opened up.

Thoughts?
Yeah, I think a lot of 3rd year and probably most 4th year philosophy classes are reserved for philosophy majors. I'm minoring in philosophy so its been pretty easy for me to get permission, but I don't think it should be a problem if you go into the office in University Hall. I doubt upper year philosophy classes are in enough demand that they have to severely restrict their size
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:37 AM   #3
Steph.Lau

Hey, I'm minoring in philosophy too!

So, did you just drop by the office (UH 310, I think?) and ask for permission, or is there like a process you have to go through?
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:50 AM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Hey, I'm minoring in philosophy too!

So, did you just drop by the office (UH 310, I think?) and ask for permission, or is there like a process you have to go through?
I just drop by usually or email the prof first. They've always been pretty nice about accomodating my ridiculous pre-req waivers and course permissions (since I don't get a ton of electives and can't just take a class next year or whenever it opens up) - so I'm sure it won't be problem if they know you need a class for your minor. Good luck!

Also: what 4th year class are you trying to get into, just out of curiousity?
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:53 AM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I got into some 3rd year courses (3E03 and 3D03, philosophy of language and science respectively) this morning, and I'm not a philosophy major. So those two, at least, are open.

Old 06-08-2011 at 10:01 AM   #6
Steph.Lau

I'm interested in quite a few! (My "minor" is actually closer to a double major, but my faculty won't allow combined degrees, so it's sort of a situation where I'm trying to get all the course requirements without officially doing a double major, but that's a whole other rant, haha):
- Theory of value
- Philosophy of constitutional law
- Existentialism and phenomenology
- Contemporary European philosophy

I actually just got an email reply from their administrative co-ordinator, and she said that all 4th year philos classes are limited to 20 students (whoa, so exclusive!) , and priority is given to program students and faculty students... although spots become available if the class isn't full, but this apparently won't be until late August :(

I was considering going to the office, but since I technically don't need these courses to minor (3rd year courses will do just as well according to the requirements), I doubt I'd be able to convince them to open up a spot for me, lol.
Old 06-08-2011 at 10:08 AM   #7
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I'm interested in quite a few! (My "minor" is actually closer to a double major, but my faculty won't allow combined degrees, so it's sort of a situation where I'm trying to get all the course requirements without officially doing a double major, but that's a whole other rant, haha):
- Theory of value
- Philosophy of constitutional law
- Existentialism and phenomenology
- Contemporary European philosophy

I actually just got an email reply from their administrative co-ordinator, and she said that all 4th year philos classes are limited to 20 students (whoa, so exclusive!) , and priority is given to program students and faculty students... although spots become available if the class isn't full, but this apparently won't be until late August :(

I was considering going to the office, but since I technically don't need these courses to minor (3rd year courses will do just as well according to the requirements), I doubt I'd be able to convince them to open up a spot for me, lol.
Oh mann that's rough. I remember they told me that I could register for a fourth year course if the prof gave me permission (I didn't end up doing it because I didn't feel like overloading on courses in my final year) so maybe they changed the requirements? I think if you're really determined though the best thing to do would be to wait until August when all the philosophy majors have had their pick and then go in to talk to the department. What difference does it really make if a class is 20 or 21 students?

Also, I'm jealous.. I really wanted to take the Existentialism class! Stupid Eng Phys and its lack of electives :