MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuition Fees and Possible Tuition Reduction due to Headstart/LEAP MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-10-2010 09:07 PM
Tuition Tax Marlowe General Discussion 12 11-23-2009 10:02 PM
Paying tuition zunizoon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 08-31-2009 12:29 PM
Tuition Payments Charbs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-27-2009 12:30 AM
Pay Your Tuition With Interac! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 27 07-07-2009 10:31 AM

$5 of tuition unpaid..... Help!!!

Old 08-26-2010 at 03:49 AM   #31
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

I have the same issue going on. I wire-transferred exactly what was given in my payment agreement. I wasn't aware that CIBC charges $15 for wire transfer too. Now when I look at my Account Statement, it says $15 arestill due. I am an international student from India. And now I see that there is no way I can pay off $15 before September 1st. Since I return to Canada on 7th September, I can't pay it off by going to their office. If I try to use Travelex, my country doesn't show up to use that system. And I have an account in CIBC only so I can't use interac. This is absolutely unfair!! Also none of my friends are in Hamilton right now...
Old 08-26-2010 at 04:22 AM   #32
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOKO View Post
I have the same issue going on. I wire-transferred exactly what was given in my payment agreement. I wasn't aware that CIBC charges $15 for wire transfer too. Now when I look at my Account Statement, it says $15 arestill due. I am an international student from India. And now I see that there is no way I can pay off $15 before September 1st. Since I return to Canada on 7th September, I can't pay it off by going to their office. If I try to use Travelex, my country doesn't show up to use that system. And I have an account in CIBC only so I can't use interac. This is absolutely unfair!! Also none of my friends are in Hamilton right now...
What about your mentor?!
I will call them in a few hours!

Last edited by Kayee : 08-26-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: I thought u are a 1st year
Old 08-26-2010 at 04:36 AM   #33
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

While you should probably try calling the Student Accounts office first, another avenue to try would be the international students services office. Their contact info is here:
http://oisa.mcmaster.ca/handbook/dates.cfm

The school makes a ton of money off international students because of the differential tuition, they should be willing to bend just a tiny little bit on such a minor amount of money. Good luck

Kayee says thanks to dsahota for this post.
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:26 AM   #34
Kayee

problem solved!
Here's the reply I got

'It is only $5 and it will be ok if it's after the deadline. But if it
will make you feel better, someone else can pay it for you. They will
just need to know your student id number when they come.'
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:18 AM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyhan View Post
omgg we have to pay for tuition by 3-4 days1!!!!????/

:s i thought it was until september 30th

(im doing Flex Plan - OSAP) - NOT payment in full... so do i pay by sept 1 or 30th!? :S
BTW, people who are getting osap, don't we all have to do flex plan osap??? -and what is the difference between flex osap and flex plan 1 and flexplan 2??

Lastly, can i make changes to my payment agreement?

Thank you!!
You don't have to choose the OSAP flex plan if you are paying by OSAP.
Your due date is whatever it says on your payment agreement.
You can make changes to your payment agreement up to the end of August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOKO View Post
If anything you can do another wire transfer for 30$?
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:26 AM   #36
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
omgg we have to pay for tuition by 3-4 days1!!!!????/

:s i thought it was until september 30th

(im doing Flex Plan - OSAP) - NOT payment in full... so do i pay by sept 1 or 30th!? :S
BTW, people who are getting osap, don't we all have to do flex plan osap??? -and what is the difference between flex osap and flex plan 1 and flexplan 2??

Lastly, can i make changes to my payment agreement?

Thank you!!
Like jhan523 said, you don't have to do flex plan OSAP if paying by OSAP. On my payment agreement, I selected Funding Option: OSAP and Payment Option: Payment in Full. In my case, I need to pick up and negotiate my OSAP certificate by Sept. 15 to avoid late charges (NOT Sept. 1. - that deadline is waived for monies coming from OSAP. See http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...eadlines.p df). Fortunately, all of my tuition, supplementary fees, etc. can be covered by what I receive from my first OSAP release. When I pick up my OSAP certificate, the loan officer will verify the amount I will remit (forward) from OSAP directly to McMaster. Any OSAP funds left over after paying McMaster will be deposited into my bank account.

IF the amount of my first OSAP release was not enough to cover my tuition, residence fees etc., I would try to avoid interest charges by paying everything in full by the deadline. How? I would calculate how much money I still owed McMaster (let's call this the 'balance') after deducting the amount of my first OSAP release from my total student fees stated in my Payment Agreement. The balance is what I would pay (from savings in my bank account) by Sept. 1st to avoid interest charges and late fees. I would then negotiate the first OSAP release as soon as possible (before Sept. 15) and have this OSAP amount forwarded to the school to avoid possible charges on monies coming from OSAP.

Of course, not everyone will be in a situation where they can do Payment in Full which is why there are several payment options available.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:12 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I sent them an e-mail about inconsistencies and to tell me which one is the correct information. I'll update when (and if >.>) I get a reply.
So hard to find this thread, I should have bookmarked it...

Anyways, they replied saying that the information found in the file (http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...ment_Plans.pdf) is the most updated one and everything else will be corrected as soon as possible.

sew12 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-28-2010 at 08:17 PM   #38
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Actually, there isn't interest charged on fees that aren't paid by September 1st.

According to the Terms and Conditions in the payment agreement"
I could've swore I read though that they add a $35 fee to your account if it isn't paid by Sept 1.
Old 08-28-2010 at 08:24 PM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4008 View Post
I could've swore I read though that they add a $35 fee to your account if it isn't paid by Sept 1.
See the post right above yours.
Old 08-28-2010 at 09:19 PM   #40
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
See the post right above yours.
For those too lazy to read through the .PDF, yes, you do have to pay an extra $35 if you don't pay by Wednesday. I'm assuming the deadline means AFTER the first, not beginning on the first.
Old 08-28-2010 at 09:38 PM   #41
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

I dont understand..
on my payment agreement it says sept30th - $ certain amount.

but when i checked http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...ment_Plans.pdf it says no later than SEPT 1ST.

I'M DOING THE FLEX PLAN-OSAP.

Which date is correct? :S S
Old 08-28-2010 at 10:08 PM   #42
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

Im still confused on how this whole thing works

my installement amount it like $8000 and the amount of OSAP they are using is 7300, does that mean I have to pay the 700 dollar difference to them by september 1st? :S
Old 08-28-2010 at 10:46 PM   #43
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I dont understand..
on my payment agreement it says sept30th - $ certain amount.

but when i checked http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...ment_Plans.pdf it says no later than SEPT 1ST.

I'M DOING THE FLEX PLAN-OSAP.

Which date is correct? :S S
Well, they told me the PDF is the most updated version. But I would go with what it says in your payment agreement. Be sure to print your payment agreement and if they charge you go to the Accounts and Cashiers and show them your payment agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff24 View Post
Im still confused on how this whole thing works

my installement amount it like $8000 and the amount of OSAP they are using is 7300, does that mean I have to pay the 700 dollar difference to them by september 1st? :S
Yes, you have to pay whatever it says next to "balance forward" by the "due date" that they tell you.
Old 08-28-2010 at 10:53 PM   #44
Myoch

I plan on paying my tuition at my bank. If I pay on Sept 1st, I'm guessing McMaster won't get the money that same day, is that ok? Should I pay a couple of days before and that way they'll have it on Sept 1st, any know?
Old 08-28-2010 at 10:56 PM   #45
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoch View Post
I plan on paying my tuition at my bank. If I pay on Sept 1st, I'm guessing McMaster won't get the money that same day, is that ok? Should I pay a couple of days before and that way they'll have it on Sept 1st, any know?
You should always pay at least 3 business days before hand. It's always safer that way. It usually takes 1-2 days, but if a problem occurs you'll have time to correct it before the deadline.

If you wait til September 1st, chances are they won't get it that day and you'll be charged the late fee (35$).

Myoch says thanks to jhan523 for this post.