MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macinsiders Data Collection '10-'11 Entropy General Discussion 41 04-26-2011 01:38 PM
Rogers Unlimited Data Rubicon General Discussion 1 03-31-2011 02:38 PM
Are there any data recovery wizards here? Anamaria Computers & Tech 9 09-21-2010 09:30 AM
Interesting Data zeChinaman General Discussion 14 04-12-2010 04:22 PM
Gr.12 data management to replace stats shay First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-28-2009 03:14 PM

Is 6GB data enough for BlackBerry?

Old 08-16-2011 at 01:23 PM   #16
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

my total plan costs $65 which includes 6gb of data, unlimited zone to zone calling, unlimited texting including international (to text my parents), voicemail, caller id etc. from what I'm reading, i think it's pretty worth it then?
Old 08-16-2011 at 01:33 PM   #17
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I have 500MB of data on my plan, I've never once gone over with my iPhone 4... sometimes I do come close to it and I have to hold off a bit for a few days until the billing cycle is over, but that's very rare. 6GB is way more than you need, especially with Blackberries and their data compression.

I mean if it isn't making your plan significantly more expensive then why not, but I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to need that much unless they're tethering or constantly streaming video/radio without wifi.

IqzFendi says thanks to Andrew A for this post.
Old 08-16-2011 at 01:44 PM   #18
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IqzFendi View Post
i have to add an additional $20 to my plan for the 6gb one..is that reasonable then?
Definitely! Very much worth it!

Edit:
Quote:
my total plan costs $65 which includes 6gb of data, unlimited zone to zone calling, unlimited texting including international (to text my parents), voicemail, caller id etc. from what I'm reading, i think it's pretty worth it then?
Wow, thats a really good plan. I'd definitely do it!

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 01:55 PM   #19
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

My cap is 100mb on my android phone... i survive aha. You really don't need too much data if you have wifi at home, or at school.

IqzFendi says thanks to adaptation for this post.
Old 08-16-2011 at 03:51 PM   #20
IqzFendi

Alright, I'm very convinced that 6gb is more than enough, I asked Virgin if they have anything lower than that so waiting for their reply on that, otherwise it seems like a plan of 65 isn't too bad at all so I'll probably just stick with it. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-16-2011 at 04:03 PM   #21
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

6 GB data - overkill.

BUT, if you're getting a pretty sweet deal, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get it

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 05:33 PM   #22
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Alright, I'm very convinced that 6gb is more than enough, I asked Virgin if they have anything lower than that so waiting for their reply on that, otherwise it seems like a plan of 65 isn't too bad at all so I'll probably just stick with it. Thanks everyone!
Virgin has 500MB, 1GB, 2GB as well, and probably more intermediate steps up to 6GB. They also have this "feature" you can get where you get, for example, a 500MB plan, but if you use 700MB in a month, then rather than paying your 500MB data plan + 200MB of overage, you pay for a 1GB data plan instead, which saves you some money. Of course it'd just be cheaper to get the 1GB and not have that flexible data plan feature, but then you don't really have any "coverage" against going over. And in that case, you might get the 1GB plan and find that 11 months of the year you're only going through 300MB/month, in which case it would probably work out cheaper just to pay the overages for that one month than to pay for a tier higher than you need for the rest of the year.

Just something else to consider.

IqzFendi says thanks to Andrew A for this post.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:04 PM   #23
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
Virgin has 500MB, 1GB, 2GB as well, and probably more intermediate steps up to 6GB. They also have this "feature" you can get where you get, for example, a 500MB plan, but if you use 700MB in a month, then rather than paying your 500MB data plan + 200MB of overage, you pay for a 1GB data plan instead, which saves you some money. Of course it'd just be cheaper to get the 1GB and not have that flexible data plan feature, but then you don't really have any "coverage" against going over. And in that case, you might get the 1GB plan and find that 11 months of the year you're only going through 300MB/month, in which case it would probably work out cheaper just to pay the overages for that one month than to pay for a tier higher than you need for the rest of the year.

Just something else to consider.
It's still cheaper to have the $20 6GB add on than any other data plan

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:11 PM   #24
previnw

Liked: 1 Time

If you go over 6gb of data you know they're messing with your bill cuz that should not be possible.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 10:11 PM   #25
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I highly Suggest you stick with the 6GB of Data. It is 30$ if not less, the next lowest data add on is 500MB for 25$ i believe.

All the carriers have that promotion once in awhile, where they give out 6GB of data for 30$. Just keep it you never know when you might need it and you can afford to.

Any of the other data add ons will come to the same price and will not be worth it

IqzFendi says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:20 AM   #26
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

You'll never go over 6GB just using your phone a month.
Tethering is a different story. I'm using Wind, and I have unlimited data,
and my last billing cycle reported 33GB of data usage.
Old 08-17-2011 at 03:41 AM   #27
IqzFendi

Hmm okay SO i contacted virgin and I actually wanted to change my zone to zone calling as I can't call hamilton to mississauga without getting charged and that's where I live so...

They offered me a new plan and it's

200 daytime minutes
Unlimited 6pm evenings and weekends
Unlimited to 10 national numbers
Unlimited local and international texting
1 gb data usage

All in $55, does that plan seem better than the one I have right now overall? As i'm really considering the change...if they could give me 6gb data usage in $65 with that plan though it'd be awesome. But from what I'm seeing here, even 1gb seems enough. I most probably won't use my phone for tethering. Just facebook and youtube and all that good stuff.
Old 08-17-2011 at 03:42 AM   #28
IqzFendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuelonas View Post
IqzFendi there is a 55 $ plan on virgin mobile you get 1 GB of data and some other cool features... you won't need more than 1GB
Oh yeah, that's the one they offered me, it really does sound awesome! Do you know if it's got call display and voicemail though? Call display is a MUST.
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:54 AM   #29
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I have an iPhone, and I use it a fair amount. I never go over 500 Mb. Granted, I don't watch many videos on the thing.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 08-17-2011 at 07:30 AM   #30
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

This should help:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...wrlsDa taCalc

IqzFendi says thanks to justinsftw for this post.

IqzFendi likes this.