MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU underground tunnel? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-17-2010 10:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel and Ergonomics goodnews.inc Body & Food 18 08-31-2010 12:32 AM
sue mac for carpel tunnel therapy - a different MUGSI issue soltintal Academics 2 08-11-2010 06:13 PM
New Thode Layout? britb General Discussion 7 05-20-2010 08:24 PM
More wireless at Thode! KristaG General Discussion 20 11-18-2009 06:21 PM

ABB Thode Tunnel

Old 02-14-2010 at 11:54 AM   #31
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

By tunnels, are we referring to extensions of the basement? Because I find the concept of pure tunnels with nothing in them but...people a bit on the worrisome side but that may just be me.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-03-2010 at 10:24 PM   #32
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

I went last week to the thode tunnel and it surprised me because it wasn't a tunnel at all!! It was freaking short!! I was expecting like a long tunnel the sort of tunnel you see in places like Casa loma. Like this:
http://www.vignetted.com/images/200609/20060918.jpg
Old 03-06-2010 at 09:33 PM   #33
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

holy crap! that tunnel looks creepy!

More tunnels plz
Old 03-07-2010 at 09:51 AM   #34
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I've been through this one in hungary: http://www.labirintus.com/en/1
It's more of a labyrinth, but the cool part is the attraction which would NEVER be allowed over here in North America because of insurance problems: You have to navigate the whole thing with an oil lamp... Not some electric lamp, not a flashlight: An oil lamp. It's a couple kilometers walk, but there are gates blocking off these sections of the tunnel that branch off for hundreds of kilometers underneath Budapest. It's awesome just to think about. Freaky going through these tunnels at night with an oil lamp. And they don't bother exterminating mice bats or snakes either... You're on your own But it's 100% legit.

MacEng likes this.
Old 03-07-2010 at 01:11 PM   #35
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

^^^ so are you out of it or are you using the WiFi inside it?
Old 03-07-2010 at 03:22 PM   #36
mike_302
Elite Member

I escaped !
Old 03-07-2010 at 08:10 PM   #37
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I've been through this one in hungary: http://www.labirintus.com/en/1
It's more of a labyrinth, but the cool part is the attraction which would NEVER be allowed over here in North America because of insurance problems: You have to navigate the whole thing with an oil lamp... Not some electric lamp, not a flashlight: An oil lamp. It's a couple kilometers walk, but there are gates blocking off these sections of the tunnel that branch off for hundreds of kilometers underneath Budapest. It's awesome just to think about. Freaky going through these tunnels at night with an oil lamp. And they don't bother exterminating mice bats or snakes either... You're on your own But it's 100% legit.
^One day, I'm going to buy a minotaur costume and just wander around down there. It'll be fantastic.

Well...either that, or a David Bowie costume.

So why do you need an oil lamp? Will guards at the entrance confiscate your stuff if you have some other form of light? Can they really take your cell phone away?
Old 03-07-2010 at 08:44 PM   #38
mike_302
Elite Member

No, they provided you with lamps, and they were oil light.. You can use a cellphone but you paid approx equivalent $4 CDN, and its your money to waste. $4 isn't much here, but when you spend more than a week in hungary, you start to feel like it is because you can get a LOT with $4 CDN Interesting story about it, it was used throughout wars to hide the entire city from bombs and whatnot. And it was also used in the earlier parts of the century to trap armies, while the Hungarians (or whatever they were at the time) had their "maps" or at least knew something about the caves... This way they ambushed them underground! But yes, the whole thing is very very creepy.
Old 03-08-2010 at 11:58 PM   #39
amliu

Liked: 1 Time

I heard some North Quad tunnels got shut down because people were doing sketch things there
Old 03-09-2010 at 01:14 AM   #40
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amliu View Post
I heard some North Quad tunnels got shut down because people were doing sketch things there
Sketch things eh.... what's so bad about drawing pictures?

Old 03-09-2010 at 08:49 AM   #41
amliu

Liked: 1 Time

They also need a soft copy of a map for the Arts Quad 'tunnels'