MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros and Cons of Each Residence kokosas Residence & Off-Campus Living 108 06-25-2013 01:19 PM
Accelerated Nursing Help! remo12 Academics 6 08-26-2012 10:56 PM
Jailbreaking Iphone 4s Pros and Cons chinadian Computers & Tech 11 04-28-2012 05:57 PM
Accelerated Nursing urbski Academics 7 09-09-2011 01:20 PM
Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room Mic Mac Residence & Housing 23 03-27-2010 02:37 AM

Accelerated Nursing pros and cons

Members have rated post #400383 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 04-29-2014 at 11:27 AM   #1
bancroft

Liked: 0 Times

Accelerated Nursing pros and cons
I'm in the process of trying to decide between Mac and Queen's for accelerated nursing. I'd love to hear about your experiences at Mac - what you liked, disliked, what prepared you well for work/continued education or any advantages/disadvantages you can think of. If you have anything to say about Queen's as well that would be great!

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-29-2014 at 04:55 PM   #2
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

hi! I just graduated from the Mac program, but also know a bit about Queens.

Mac Advantages:
- PBL courses (it's like our theory course) really help prepare you in critical thinking and, if you luck out and get a good group, can stimulate some enriching discussion between your classmates
- there is a lottery for placements in level 4 (can be good or bad)
- you get to know your professors on a first-name basis (really advantageous for future reference letters)
- our pharmacology course is outstanding
- just the mac vibe in general. Everyone is really friendly and helpful, the faculty is very understanding and accommodating, etc.

Disadvantages:
- Mac is constantly trying to revamp their curriculum, so there are hiccups along the way, stupid assignments..but you'll find that in any nursing program.
- it's a shorter program vs Queen's, so a lot more information is squeezed in during the first year. SEcond semester of first year was incredibly busy and overwhelming.
- we don't get to dabble in every placement setting. So some students will come out never having a mental health placement, pediatrics, mat/child etc.

With that said, the biggest advantages of Queen's are that it's a bit longer (unless you're looking to just get it done) and that you DO get experience in mental health, peds, and mat/child (i.e babies). What I highly dislike about Queen's though is that their nursing program does not engage with CNSA (Canadian nursing students association) - this is an amazing means of networking and meeting students and faculty across the country.

hope that helps! You should also check out www.reddit.com/r/studentnurse - may find more people to help answer your questions