MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU jobs epikness General Discussion 7 02-06-2012 12:43 AM
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-08-2010 06:21 PM
Jobs at mac ? WavesSea Volunteering Opportunities 7 07-14-2008 04:19 PM

Accounting jobs to be taken over by bots in 20 years?

Old 03-20-2014 at 05:43 PM   #1
RedRanger

Liked: 0 Times

Accounting jobs to be taken over by bots in 20 years?
So I finally finish my upgrades, apply to McMaster, get accepted to the accounting program, and for the first time in quite some time I felt like I had some direction in life. Then two days later I'm looking through my Facebook feed when I notice an article that someone has uploaded...

http://www.businessinsider.c om/bil...ay-jobs-2014-3

The article is about an interview with Bill Gates in which he speaks about how software will take over numerous careers in the near future (20 years)

There is a graph that states the likelihood of these careers being taken over

http://www.businessinsider.c om/job...-robots-2014-1

Accountants are 2nd on the list at 94% meaning that the economists who predicted these numbers are 94% certain that they will be replaced by software.

I don't mean to depress anyone else, but if you haven't heard of this I believe it is something you should know. I'm starting to rethink my decision...
Old 03-20-2014 at 06:24 PM   #2
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Software has already vastly improved efficiency of accountants in the last 10 years, there is no reason to say it won't continue. A job that is structured around distinct rules and accuracy is sure to have its efficiency improved through software.

Accountants also provide answers towards management's financial questions. As software improves, the ability to identify these possible questions (and answers) will surely be created.

Of course not all accountants will become obsolete. Someone always has to work with programmers to update software related to changing financial laws, as well as confirming that the software's suggestions/answers are appropriate.
Old 03-20-2014 at 07:14 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

If you truly believe this then maybe you want to look into the idea of learning software as well (minor or something)? Software is one of those odd things that requires both knowledge and skills making it excellent to pick up on your own (rather than getting a specific education in it).

The idea of knowing accounting very well but also being a coder would be pretty useful and unique for many government or software tax/accounting jobs.

Keep in mind though that there will always be need for accountants (in our lifetimes). Software can replace a lot of things but wont because people do not trust it.

With the revolution of Big Data and big push to the biomed field it is not unreasonable to say that software could totally outperform every single doctor within 15-20 years easy. Its already starting to but people just dont trust it and so it is used as an information filter + suggestion engine before a real sees it and approves it. I believe that people will continue to value money enough that there will always be some sort of need for accountants (but it will not be as high as it is now)
Old 03-20-2014 at 09:25 PM   #4
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Yeah, don't go into public accounting, thnx.
Old 03-21-2014 at 07:03 AM   #5
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

commerical pilots are high on that list too, but lets be cereal
nobody gettin on a plane with no pilots
Old 03-25-2014 at 02:29 PM   #6
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

Unfortunately, this is true. A lot of jobs are automated or being remove due to advances in technology. This is why its always best to go into a field you personally love. Even with advance software and robotics, there will still be top tier workers who are human that will need to oversee and direct these software.
Old 04-08-2014 at 01:45 AM   #7
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Yes! Please don't go into public accounting!
Old 04-08-2014 at 01:59 PM   #8
pocalyuko

Liked: 9 Times

It says accountants. That's an extremely broad term. That could be mean bookkeepers, chartered professional accountants, certified professional accountants, etc.

No software is replacing intuition of a professional designation and their ability to properly understand a business through financial data, questions directed at management, etc.

No doubt software helps, immensely. But completely removing one of the most world-recognized and well-paid professions, to me, is absurd. One day robots will perform surgeries on humans completely removing the role of surgeons and the related pressure, anxiety and life-altering decisions? In 20 years? Nope, don't think so.

Me personally, bookkeepers, entering basic journal entries and filing away papers and worksheets, perhaps.
Old 04-08-2014 at 03:24 PM   #9
allanandthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocalyuko View Post
No doubt software helps, immensely. But completely removing one of the most world-recognized and well-paid professions, to me, is absurd. One day robots will perform surgeries on humans completely removing the role of surgeons and the related pressure, anxiety and life-altering decisions? In 20 years? Nope, don't think so.
Please, don't increase the competition for Big 4 audit jobs ~~~ I actually personally hope that no one goes into accounting and finance! The career is dead, get out get out!!!
Old 04-09-2014 at 01:19 AM   #10
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocalyuko View Post
It says accountants. That's an extremely broad term. That could be mean bookkeepers, chartered professional accountants, certified professional accountants, etc.

No software is replacing intuition of a professional designation and their ability to properly understand a business through financial data, questions directed at management, etc.

Me personally, bookkeepers, entering basic journal entries and filing away papers and worksheets, perhaps.

hahaha thats because you dont understand software or especially big data. You are still in the 90's. Software has already "replac[ed] intuition of a professional designation and their ability to properly understand a business through financial data, questions directed at management, etc." It is already far better than 99% of trained businessman. And its getting much much better.

As for healthcare. Autonomous robots are already performing surgeries with the surgeon just standing by with a hand on the stop button. Also the algorithms in Watson are now being used to diagnose patient cancers...far more successfully than real doctors. And this is all now.
Old 04-09-2014 at 02:20 AM   #11
allanandthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
As for healthcare. Autonomous robots are already performing surgeries with the surgeon just standing by with a hand on the stop button. Also the algorithms in Watson are now being used to diagnose patient cancers...far more successfully than real doctors. And this is all now.
Seems like you have no idea what business is about let alone accounting. The number one problem in companies is not the lack of technology and skilled people, it is talent management. Surgeries can be done with robots because it is repetitive and is procedural ~ business is not. Technology can never be used to create marketable and effective business strategies because humans are dynamic.

In fact, engineers, nurses, doctors and research technicians can be taken offshore to other countries, business professionals cannot. Why? You need to have business professionals that understand the market dynamics of that particular country. What is a successful market strategy or good consulting analysis in Canada would be much different than in Europe.