MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU jobs Maudjee22 General Discussion 12 07-21-2011 02:42 PM
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-08-2010 06:21 PM
why aren't there any jobs out there? macbaby07 Volunteering Opportunities 46 05-16-2010 06:19 PM
jobs on campus nick Volunteering Opportunities 2 03-14-2010 07:25 PM
Jobs at mac ? WavesSea Volunteering Opportunities 7 07-14-2008 04:19 PM

MSU jobs

Old 02-05-2012 at 09:37 PM   #1
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

MSU jobs
Hey guys,

I want to apply for a MSU job, but the problem is that I don't have any experience in a work field. However, I want to challenge myself for the upcoming year.

What I want to know is that how competitive it is to acquire a MSU job (the one I am interested in is the Student Health Coordinator) and if anyone has had or currently has an MSU job, can you share your experiences?

Thanks =)
Old 02-05-2012 at 10:13 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You mean you've never had a job before? Might be a bit tricky.. especially a coordinator position. It might be difficult to even be selected for an interview if your CV is empty (if thats what you're implying). Beyond that it all really comes down to how you come off as a person (problem solving ability and behaviour during the interview). Of the people I know (or know of) that have these jobs, have had some kind of leadership background ... you're best off contacting the department you're interested and take up a job lower on the totem pole, even volunteering. You have a better chance of doing a coordinator-type position if you're already employed doing something related; that way your boss will be the one you're applying for the position to.
Old 02-05-2012 at 10:22 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
Hey guys,

I want to apply for a MSU job, but the problem is that I don't have any experience in a work field. However, I want to challenge myself for the upcoming year.

What I want to know is that how competitive it is to acquire a MSU job (the one I am interested in is the Student Health Coordinator) and if anyone has had or currently has an MSU job, can you share your experiences?

Thanks =)
Do you have volunteer experience?
Old 02-05-2012 at 10:26 PM   #4
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

For that particular position I'd definitely assume that they want people with work experience specifically within SHEC, it does mention that in the job requirements. The job entails maintaining budgets, scheduling, supply ordering, supervision and training of volunteers/executives, hiring of new volunteers/executives and a number of other things.

I agree with RyanC, try volunteering with the group first. Seeing as you have no job experience at all it's really unlikely that you'd recieve an interview. That said, it never hurts to try but you should definitely try to volunteer in the group next year.

I know that some MSU jobs can be competitive, current volunteers and executives of SHEC will be applying for that position so keep that in mind.

epikness says thanks to sarahsullz for this post.
Old 02-06-2012 at 12:18 AM   #5
epikness

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Do you have volunteer experience?
I am volunteering at a hospital currently. I have applied for some volunteer positions for the upcoming year.

I think I should wait and gain some significant volunteer/work experience before applying.
Old 02-06-2012 at 12:22 AM   #6
epikness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You mean you've never had a job before? Might be a bit tricky.. especially a coordinator position. It might be difficult to even be selected for an interview if your CV is empty (if thats what you're implying). Beyond that it all really comes down to how you come off as a person (problem solving ability and behaviour during the interview). Of the people I know (or know of) that have these jobs, have had some kind of leadership background ... you're best off contacting the department you're interested and take up a job lower on the totem pole, even volunteering. You have a better chance of doing a coordinator-type position if you're already employed doing something related; that way your boss will be the one you're applying for the position to.
I understand that I have an extremely low chance of actually landing such jobs with my absolutely no work experience. It was something I came across on OSCAR and got really excited about.
Old 02-06-2012 at 12:24 AM   #7
epikness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
For that particular position I'd definitely assume that they want people with work experience specifically within SHEC, it does mention that in the job requirements. The job entails maintaining budgets, scheduling, supply ordering, supervision and training of volunteers/executives, hiring of new volunteers/executives and a number of other things.

I agree with RyanC, try volunteering with the group first. Seeing as you have no job experience at all it's really unlikely that you'd recieve an interview. That said, it never hurts to try but you should definitely try to volunteer in the group next year.

I know that some MSU jobs can be competitive, current volunteers and executives of SHEC will be applying for that position so keep that in mind.
Thanks. You brought up very good points. =)
Old 02-06-2012 at 12:43 AM   #8
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

As an Executive Board Member on the MSU Hiring Committees who did hiring for SHEC last year(I'm doing 5-6 services this year too) I'd say that atleast from my experience people with absolutely no relevant background will find it hard to even get an interview unless they have exceptional volunteer/work experience in the sector or in something related.

Quite a bit of the co-ordinator job require leadership skills because you are overseeing many executive volunteers under you as well as 30ish+ general volunteers, maintaining an office, participating and running campaigns and so on.

I would strongly recommend anyone interested in becoming the coordinator of a particular service to start volunteering and building their way upto the top. SHEC hires volunteer exec and student peer helpers towards the end of the academic term. To get more confirmed details I'd recommend you drop by the SHEC office on the second floor of MUSC between 9-5 on how you can be involved.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

epikness says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

sarahsullz likes this.