MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancel all term 1 courses Thinker Academics 3 10-22-2012 04:09 PM
what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-16-2012 10:09 PM
Cancel Guidance appointment stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 05-28-2012 10:22 PM
Drop/Cancel Date Commie8507 General Discussion 5 03-09-2011 02:38 PM
Last day to cancel a course Reda General Discussion 5 10-26-2010 07:42 PM

Add/ Cancel Courses

Old 11-04-2012 at 06:48 PM   #1
Ever

Liked: 0 Times

Add/ Cancel Courses
Hi,

I want cancel a term 1 course now and then add the same course for term 2. This will increase my course load for term 2. Then I wold have 6 courses in term 2. I was wondering if I be allowed to do this? And how will it affect my OSAP?

Ps: I want to drop the course b/c I’m behind the materials. I’m at the point where it’s not possible to catch up before the exam and pass the course.
Old 11-04-2012 at 07:05 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever View Post
Hi,

I want cancel a term 1 course now and then add the same course for term 2. This will increase my course load for term 2. Then I wold have 6 courses in term 2. I was wondering if I be allowed to do this? And how will it affect my OSAP?

Ps: I want to drop the course b/c I’m behind the materials. I’m at the point where it’s not possible to catch up before the exam and pass the course.
It shouldn't affect your OSAP, but you'll end up paying for 90% of the course this term and then I'm pretty sure they'll charge you again for the full course next term.

Also, if you're falling behind in the course when you have four other courses, are you sure you'll be able to do well if you have six other courses? That's not something you need to answer here, it's something to consider, whether or not it's realistic to expect next term to be significantly different from this term.
Old 11-04-2012 at 07:38 PM   #3
Ever

yeah I understand that but I’m planning to get ahead of this course by reviewing the materials or even getting a tutor before the 2nd term starts. This way it won’t be so challenging like it is now in the next term.

But my problem now is that this course is full in term 2. Btw I’m talking about MATH 1LS3.
Old 11-04-2012 at 08:09 PM   #4
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

You have to notify the financial aid office, you basically fill a form, and get less money in term 2.

Source: I went there and asked.
Old 11-04-2012 at 08:56 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
You have to notify the financial aid office, you basically fill a form, and get less money in term 2.

Source: I went there and asked.
why do you get less money if your courseload doesn't change?
Old 11-04-2012 at 09:58 PM   #6
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
why do you get less money if your courseload doesn't change?
But it does. You are not doing 100% of the proper course load you are doing less.
Old 11-04-2012 at 11:19 PM   #7
Ever

Quote:
But it does. You are not doing 100% of the proper course load you are doing less.
But I’ll have 6 courses in term 2 since I’ll be re-adding math to term 2 from term 1. So my course load for term two is heavier than term 1. Wouldn’t that mean OSAP will be paying more money for my tuition
Old 11-04-2012 at 11:23 PM   #8
Ever

What should I do if the course is full in the next term? I don’t want to drop it now and end up without a math at all if couldn’t get a spot in the next term.
Old 11-04-2012 at 11:30 PM   #9
AngryBean
Account Locked

If the the class is offered you get in either way.

hmm, interesting, I guess then you won't lose any money. But I think you still should notify the fin. aid office just to be sure.
Old 11-05-2012 at 12:20 AM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Ask the financial office. You should still get the full amount from OSAP. If you can't get into a course you have to play the waiting game until it frees up. The only exception is if it is a CORE course (Like it specifically says in your degree you need that math in 1st year) then they have to open a spot for u.
Old 11-05-2012 at 09:01 AM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
No, a course load for the term is considered over the entire fall/winter term. People often choose to do 4 courses one term and 6 courses in another term right from the beginning, it makes no difference. The course load doesn't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever View Post
What should I do if the course is full in the next term? I don’t want to drop it now and end up without a math at all if couldn’t get a spot in the next term.
If it's not a required course and it's full next term then you might not be able to get in if you drop it. You should talk to an advisor before you drop it to see if anything can be done.