MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mail applications for Mac Vessi General Discussion 7 09-11-2013 09:25 PM
Integrating McMaster E-mail onto Mac Mail 5.2 wynn.cam General Discussion 4 07-24-2012 12:21 PM
New Mac G-mail on Thunderbird? 5XLH Computers & Tech 2 02-29-2012 01:10 AM
MAC e-mail after graduation eycc11 General Discussion 11 04-27-2011 05:01 PM
anyone else get a weird email from UTS about your mac email account? darkstar General Discussion 19 01-16-2011 10:37 AM

Adding Mac Email to Mail for Mac

Old 09-06-2015 at 11:40 AM   #1
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Adding Mac Email to Mail for Mac
Hi!

I'm trying to add my mac email to the mail app following the instructions provided by UTS, but the outgoing server is not working for me... not sure what I am doing wrong. Please help!!

this is what I am using:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/support/email/mailosx.html

Thanks!!
Old 09-06-2015 at 02:46 PM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

The page was published in 2012. This page, https://mcmaster.ca/uts/gmailforstudents/imapsetup.html
on the otherhand has a different mail servers listed. So they probably have old info on the page you used.

Try using
  • ncoming server: mcmasterimap.mcmaster .ca
  • Outgoing server: mcmastersmtp.mcmaster .ca
or look at the link for more details

shreebee says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 09-06-2015 at 02:51 PM   #3
shreebee

hi! i've tried that as well, I can receive emails but not send due to the outgoing server :/
Old 09-06-2015 at 04:29 PM   #4
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

I just set it up on my phone (android) and Im able to send emails.
https://itservices.stanford.e du/se...g/osx_imap_ssl
try this link, it seems to go into more detail than the one mcmaster has.
Just remember, where ever it says SMTP in the server url on this website, just use mcmastersmtp.mcmaster .ca and mcmasterimap.mcmaster .ca for imap (incoming server). Incoming port is 993 and outgoing is 465. Make sure you enable SSL, as that is a requirement for things to work

Reading that old mcmaster page you were using originally, down below it says
"Apple devices automatically select port 587 instead of 465. It is necessary to change this manually."
Im sure that is the problem b/c 465 is the outgoing port, follow the link I just sent and it should show you how to do it properly

shreebee says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 09-06-2015 at 04:51 PM   #5
shreebee

Hi thanks for your help. I dont know what I did but it started to work. I had entered all the information as mentioned in your post