MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petition for Special Consideration BrownTown993 Academics 7 05-23-2012 01:03 PM
Uni Admission Help ... madhawatk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 02-15-2011 03:16 PM
Important about admission mfattal General Discussion 11 10-16-2010 01:58 PM
Final Admission? mac-gal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-08-2009 09:10 PM
petition for special consideration jindal General Discussion 1 04-29-2009 01:17 PM

Admission Consideration

Old 06-19-2012 at 01:15 PM   #1
shamil

Liked: 0 Times

Admission Consideration
I have been given a conditional offer of admission at McMaster University this fall for Engineering 1 based on my predicted IB results. My condition is that I get a minimum of 31 points overall in IB or else they could withdraw my admission offer. Is it really true that if i get less than requited points, they will cancel my admission?
Old 06-19-2012 at 01:23 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamil View Post
I have been given a conditional offer of admission at McMaster University this fall for Engineering 1 based on my predicted IB results. My condition is that I get a minimum of 31 points overall in IB or else they could withdraw my admission offer. Is it really true that if i get less than requited points, they will cancel my admission?
Yes, unfortunately. The offer is conditional on you meeting the 31 points after all.
Old 06-20-2012 at 01:33 PM   #3
shamil

but would they consider me for an alternative program?
Old 06-20-2012 at 03:10 PM   #4
elaynag

Liked: 2 Times

You would probably have to reapply for another program. You should probably admissions- they would know the rules for admission and/or consideration for entry into another program.
Old 06-20-2012 at 05:48 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
but would they consider me for an alternative program?
Yes they would, its called B.Tech and it's in the faculty of engineering...It's a new program here and I think that's why they send people to it who do not make the cut-off for engineering.
Before accepting your "alternative offer" you have to ask yourself, is B.Tech right for me? You applied to engineering so I am assuming you are interested in engineering, so if I were you I would go to a program that I enjoy. Did you apply to other universities as well? If you did and got accepted there for engineering then go for it (assuming you don't make it to mac for engineering).
Don't think about switching into engineering from B.Tech because B.Tech is no joke. It is not as hard as engineering, but it's very hard to get a 9 in, that will get you a transfer to engineering.
By the way, B.Tech stands for "Bachelor of technology".
Old 06-21-2012 at 02:49 PM   #6
shamil

Well the thing is, I was accepted by a number of other universities in Ontario, but the problem is they all gave me a date of accepting their respective offers. Thus, I had to choose only 1 university to be accepted in ouac. I chose McMaster's engineering, for the rest their dates of accepting offers have all expired away. Otherwise, It would not have been a problem. btw, IS B.Tech more computer related or soemthing?
Old 06-21-2012 at 04:19 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Well the thing is, I was accepted by a number of other universities in Ontario, but the problem is they all gave me a date of accepting their respective offers. Thus, I had to choose only 1 university to be accepted in ouac. I chose McMaster's engineering, for the rest their dates of accepting offers have all expired away. Otherwise, It would not have been a problem. btw, IS B.Tech more computer related or soemthing?
BTech isn't more computer related. There are three streams--check the course calendar if you want to see courses they take. I think there's an automotive one, a biotechnology one, and one other that I don't remember.

Basically, your other offers (from other universities) don't stand anymore, so going elsewhere in Ontario isn't an option. If you do fall below the cutoff they gave you, you won't be accepted into the program. I've heard of this happening to people before and they're not always offered admission into another program; you should contact the admissions office to find out.
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:20 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Here'e the B.Tech website:
http://mybtechdegree.ca/home/

As nerual said, there are 3 specializations in b.tech:
1. Process automation
2. Biotechnology
3. Vehicle and automation

Biotechnology has a lot of biology and chemistry.
The automotive stream deals with automotive related stuff like engines, gears, and such...They use softwares like CAD and Catia.
Process automation is kind of computer related.

Here are the courses taken by the different streams:
http://learningin3d.ca/automotive.html

In first year b.tech you will take C++ no matter what stream you are in, but visual basics is only taken by process and auto students.

Well, you can ask the universities if they would still take you (if you don't make it to mac), there's no harm in asking if they would still accept you !
You still have a chance of making it to mac, work really hard until you finish school, you can still make it !
All the best !