MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Life Science Admission LandLBoy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-10-2011 12:26 PM
Life Science And Kin Admission Crisis! jubjubhubba Academics 46 02-02-2011 10:27 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM
Life Science Admission pepperminte First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-24-2010 11:38 AM

Admission Life Science

Old 04-11-2011 at 07:46 PM   #16
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
Why is it always the life sci applicants that come on here asking if others think they will get in? I am a life sci applicant and I am annoyed by this. I know it is stressful waiting but just try your best and relax a little! You have great grades, keep it up.
Plus Life Sci's one of the higher cutoffs without a definition (ex Hth Sci has a 90 min, I think Kin might too, but it gets fewer applicant anyway), but LifeSci's only the vague "mid to high eighties"

/still annoying though... what does it matter? Just hit apply and work hard.
Old 04-11-2011 at 08:16 PM   #17
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Plus Life Sci's one of the higher cutoffs without a definition (ex Hth Sci has a 90 min, I think Kin might too, but it gets fewer applicant anyway), but LifeSci's only the vague "mid to high eighties"

/still annoying though... what does it matter? Just hit apply and work hard.
That is true. A lot of people have great averages, like 87 or 88, but have not heard back yet and are stressing. I am have been accepted to life sci but am waiting to hear from health sci.

Why doesn't life sci have a better definition? I was confused myself as all the other programs I applied to gave one number.
Old 04-11-2011 at 08:29 PM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
There is no leniency. You are either above the cutoff and get in, or below it and you don't. For Life Sci, it's 100% grades. Basically, they decide they're accepting X number of people, and then they start with the people with the highest averages and work their way down, until they've accepted however many they want. The cutoffs posted on their website are a guess based on what it has been in previous years.
I posted this earlier in the thread. That is why they don't have an exact number.
Old 04-12-2011 at 10:03 PM   #19
Shao

Liked: 1 Time

Got my midterms today, avg was 85.44%, which probablly wont get me in; really really looked forward to getting into mac, now im just depressed! I guess there a small sliver of hope (maybe?)

I am worrying because my avg is a couple % off what it could be ( was 88% last year), so I know im easily capable, but hate being penalized, essentially, because of my english mark, because my teacher was a *****.. (dont get me started). If I had 1-2% higher, I wouldnt be worrying at all, but thats not my case :(
Old 04-12-2011 at 10:35 PM   #20
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

You have high marks in the subjects that matter so try to relax a little. I hope to see you next year.
Old 04-12-2011 at 10:53 PM   #21
Shao

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
You have high marks in the subjects that matter so try to relax a little. I hope to see you next year.
Does Mac Look at marks indiviually, thought it was just 1 Avg which they look at, not considering marks from subjects, not matter how important, could be wrong. Can anyone confirm/deny if Mac considers subjects seperatly at all?
Old 04-12-2011 at 11:06 PM   #22
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shao View Post
Does Mac Look at marks indiviually, thought it was just 1 Avg which they look at, not considering marks from subjects, not matter how important, could be wrong. Can anyone confirm/deny if Mac considers subjects seperatly at all?
They've got way too many applicants for that. They're going to set a cut-off based on people's averages and everyone below the line gets cut. Sorry if that sounds rough but that's just how it is