MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life sciences admission question TC0923 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 11-11-2010 10:09 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM
Life Science Admission pepperminte First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-24-2010 11:38 AM

Life Science And Kin Admission Crisis!

Old 01-28-2011 at 11:42 AM   #1
jubjubhubba

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science And Kin Admission Crisis!
Im a gr.12 student. and I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO EFINGGGGG STRESSED
Im really hoping to get in to life sci or kin at mac. So heres my question.
This semester I got a 68 in bio :(
I know it will be used as a pre req mark in my TOP 6.
I know I can atleast get an 87-88 avg for Top 6, as i am very confident with my courses for second semester (Calc, Eng, Phys, excercise sci) So basically all im asking is, even if my TOP 6 avg is aorund 87-88 , will they penalize me for still having a 68 in bio? Should I retake the course?

1st semester
bio-68
chem- 72
religion- 83
functions - 86

2nd semester
calc -
excercise science-
physics-
eng-

I am not planing to use my chem and religion mark in my top 6.
Old 01-28-2011 at 11:46 AM   #2
ShesTheMan

Last year (when I applied), I had a friend who applied to life sciences was getting low 70s in both bio and chem, but got high 80s (eng,calc,advanced functions, data) in all her other courses and didn't get in.
Old 01-28-2011 at 11:48 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I would contact the admissions office. We, as students, don't really know how they calculate averages to compare between different applicants. Definitely call them to get a more concrete answer.
Old 01-28-2011 at 11:49 AM   #4
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Strive and hope for the best!
Old 01-28-2011 at 11:52 AM   #5
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

For Life Science only (I don't know about Kin):

Assuming you're lucky enough for the admission cut-off to be as low as 84%, you're going to need a sum of 436 for the rest of your top 6. I'm assuming that you're planning on using your Adv. Functions mark, so if you're planning on using all your courses for this semester as the rest of your top 6, you're going to need 87.5 for each course in this semester by midterm, or an average of 87.5.

Again, that's if the cut-off is 84 this year. I highly doubt that though.

@She'sTheMan: That's because assuming the cutoff was 84 last year for L. Science, and she got 74 in both Bio and Chem, she will have needed an 89 average in the rest of the courses (1 Math, 1 English, 2 electives)
Old 01-28-2011 at 12:03 PM   #6
jubjubhubba

Yeah, Im confident with getting 90's in my next semester!
But im just stressed on if im gonna get penalized for my low bio mark :(
I don't want to be rejected b/c of this one course.
Old 01-28-2011 at 12:04 PM   #7
peanuts

Liked: 1 Time

I have a friend with an 86 average who didn't get into LifeSci; I think the admission average was unusually high for our year.

Um, as long as you're confident your marks will get pulled up in second semester, then make sure you don't slack. Just so you know though, you're gonna be way more stressed if you're already like this, 'cause you probably won't get your acceptance until possibly April-May... which is when most others (who did well in first sem) around you will have been long accepted. Get ready to wait. :|
Old 01-28-2011 at 12:10 PM   #8
jubjubhubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
I have a friend with an 86 average who didn't get into LifeSci; I think the admission average was unusually high for our year.

Um, as long as you're confident your marks will get pulled up in second semester, then make sure you don't slack. Just so you know though, you're gonna be way more stressed if you're already like this, 'cause you probably won't get your acceptance until possibly April-May... which is when most others (who did well in first sem) around you will have been long accepted. Get ready to wait. :|

lol, thanks
Im willing to wait, cause I REALLLY want to go to mac lol.
Do u think theres any chance I could get accpted in march, through some impressive 2nd sem midetrm marks?
Old 01-28-2011 at 12:52 PM   #9
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjubhubba View Post
lol, thanks
Im willing to wait, cause I REALLLY want to go to mac lol.
Do u think theres any chance I could get accpted in march, through some impressive 2nd sem midetrm marks?
You should really strive to work really hard in second semester, and as long as you manage to pull up your average (cumulatively), then you should stand a fair chance. But as has already been mentioned, admission averages are increasing by a lot. When I applied admission averages were low, and even with a 76 you stood a fair chance, but now you need a MINIMUM 85 to be competitive. So really work hard...

Also, don't stress that'll just make things worse.

As a side note, please don't be offended, but with a 68 in bio i MIGHT reconsider going into life sci. This is not to say that you can't do well in university and it's possible that some extenuating circumstances led to that 68, which is why i don't want to make a generalization but, 1st year bio is kinda tough (or at least it was 3 years ago), and even with an 80+ in high school bio, i BOMBED first year bio and chem alike. 1st year life sci is no walk in the park and its a lot of abstract stuff and can be very dry...

My advice to you would be to go into kin (if I had known what 1st year life sci was like i certainly would have chosen kin over life sci). Also you do have the option to transfer from life sci --> kin but this is contigent upon getting very good marks in first year...

Anyways, just something to consider.

Good luck and I hope you do make it to mac!
Old 01-28-2011 at 02:00 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Exercise science? Whats that?
Old 01-28-2011 at 02:02 PM   #11
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Exercise science? Whats that?
I think it's essentially Kinesiology. I took it in high school and we all just called it Kinesiology, but I think some high schools had both, so I'm not sure what the difference is.
Old 01-28-2011 at 02:06 PM   #12
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i thought it was gym
Old 01-28-2011 at 02:07 PM   #13
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

I had a problem with 61% english last year and they said if my average was good enough I would get in

this was for engineering

anyways i redid it and got 83% in english
Old 01-28-2011 at 02:07 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

That mark is probably gonna kill ya to be honest.. like.. I had a similar mark in bio, but it wasn't being used to calculate my admission... I'm not sure if I was turned down from life sciences because of the mark though...
(applied to engineering and life sci)
Old 01-28-2011 at 02:09 PM   #15
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

I agree with the statement that first year life sciences, particularly bio and chem are not in any way easy. Because if you struggled with grade 12 bio, you might struggle a lot more first year.. seeing as life science is predominantly bio and chem. the first year biology courses are such a step up in terms of difficulty. I went from a 96 in grade 12 bio to like a 78 in first year biology. Just something to maybe consider.