MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i still switch into a science program if the pre-reqs done in sem.1 MariaQ Academics 6 08-12-2010 01:13 AM
switch from social sciences to science level 2 bubblegum3 Academics 4 06-30-2010 12:23 PM
Admitted to Social Sciences I, will i be able to switch into the BIOPSYCH program? MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-27-2010 03:24 PM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Social Science Faculty’s EE Program - An Interview With Kyle Park samantha__ Academics 0 11-10-2008 07:57 AM

Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program

Old 05-23-2010 at 03:11 AM   #16
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I also believe Bio 1A03 will be blocked for anybody not a Life Science or Physical Science student so you'll probably need to take that over the summer.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-23-2010 at 07:24 AM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I also believe Bio 1A03 will be blocked for anybody not a Life Science or Physical Science student so you'll probably need to take that over the summer.
Maybe; you can sometimes take it if they have space. I have a bunch of friends who are in soc sci (or were, having graduated) who took first year bio. Admittedly I'm not really sure how they managed to get in the classes.

So long as you have 12U Bio or its equivalent at above 70% you should be able to get in to it, from what I understand.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-23-2010 at 09:11 AM   #18
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

So I you can't get in to the courses during the sign up period you woul have to wait till the first week of school? Or is there someone I can email or call to discuss transferring into science with?
Old 05-23-2010 at 09:24 AM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

You could ask the department, usually that's what you do if you want to get a seat in a course. You might have to harass them a bit, depending on how busy they get.

You should probably try Alastair Tracey first, since I lost the list of who to contact for course permissions, though I'm not sure if he can add you.

Anyway, this e-mail for the courses are [email protected] and [email protected]. Keep in mind that summer courses are running now, so it might take a while to get a reply.

But by far the easiest thing to do is lurk on SOLAR to keep watching it, and then take whatever you can get for times and tutorials, you can always switch lectures or tutorials if you have a time conflict, just email Alastair.
Old 05-23-2010 at 09:40 AM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
So I you can't get in to the courses during the sign up period you woul have to wait till the first week of school? Or is there someone I can email or call to discuss transferring into science with?
You would have to try until the end of the drop and add period (which I believe is around September 15th); you may be able to contact someone in the department and ask for a spot, but you may not be granted that permission since you aren't in the program or faculty.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-23-2010 at 11:28 AM   #21
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I don't know where that's coming from. I would doubt they would block of physical science seats, although life science seats will probably be blocked off. Not really a concern though. There's about a zillion spaces in that course.
Old 05-23-2010 at 12:26 PM   #22
changturkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I don't know where that's coming from. I would doubt they would block of physical science seats, although life science seats will probably be blocked off. Not really a concern though. There's about a zillion spaces in that course.
So for the Bio/Chem courses the system may say that I'm blocked when I am trying to add the courses?
Old 05-23-2010 at 01:09 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
You should go talk to an academic advisor to learn about transferring. Not sure where the academic advisor for Social Science is though.

Only limited spaces are open for courses that are not required for your department but are required for another department. Then all available spaces are opened when SOLAR reopens.
Old 05-23-2010 at 01:47 PM   #24
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
So for the Bio/Chem courses the system may say that I'm blocked when I am trying to add the courses?
Maybe. What I'm saying is IF there are some reserved seats in the bio courses, they are most likely only for those in life science. There would only be enough blocked off to make sure that everyone who need it got in the rest would be open.

Once again though, I doubt there is need to worry for most of the first year science courses as they have a huge number of seats available.
Old 05-23-2010 at 03:06 PM   #25
changturkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Maybe. What I'm saying is IF there are some reserved seats in the bio courses, they are most likely only for those in life science. There would only be enough blocked off to make sure that everyone who need it got in the rest would be open.

Once again though, I doubt there is need to worry for most of the first year science courses as they have a huge number of seats available.
Alright, thanks, this is more reassuring.
Old 05-23-2010 at 03:47 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Not sure where the academic advisor for Social Science is though.
KTH! The...south building I believe it is? Whichever one is closer to MUSC

Old 06-08-2010
k.shobi
This message has been removed by a moderator. .