Easy courses abounac Academics 15 03-31-2009 07:12 PM

advice on easy english courses

Old 04-28-2011 at 06:15 PM   #16
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ley5 View Post
thanks for the comments! any idea on which would be good out of 2R03 (monsters and magic), 3F03 (the fairy tale), and 3Y03 (children's literature)? I'm not too keen on 1AA3 because I'd prefer to avoid reading long works.
Thanks for all the help!
You're right in that 1AA3 is a lot of reading, but it's a really interesting class as long as you're into more modern texts. I had Dr. Brophy last year and she chose all modern texts (she also taught this past semester and used the same texts) but in past years it's been all canonical authors, so it really depends on whih prof you get. Either way, lots of reading.
I haven't taken any of the other classes but I know Monsters & Magic is a lot of reading because for sure you have to read "Beowulf" which is LONG. I also suspect Frankenstein and Dracula would be on the list. I think fairy tales would be really interesting, though, personally.
Old 04-28-2011 at 08:02 PM   #17
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

1AA3 with Dr. Brophy:

We covered
. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
. A Taste of Honey
. Their Eyes Were Watching God
. Kiss Of The Fur Queen
. Trainspotting
. Persepolis
. Palace of The End

The reading for 1AA3 is heavier than the reading for 1A03 because you're dealing with full novels as opposed to simply short stories or poems. There is more to pick up on in terms of material worth discussing, and therefore your essays have to reflect this. Dr. Brophy's slides are skeleton slides, meaning you should be present in lecture.

1A03 with Dr. Zuroski-Jenkins:

We read Elements of Literature, a compilation of selected short stories and poems. I personally found this course more enjoyable than 1A03. Discussions touch on themes in the poems and stories, as well as literary elements that have been used to convey the author's message. There is a focus on scansion, which is crucial for you to understand for not only the poetry component, but for the final exam as well.
Old 04-28-2011 at 09:44 PM   #18
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Yup I agree with Aeyla. I took the same class with Dr. Brophy who is a great prof btw. I would say that 1A03 was easier but I ultimately learned more in 1AA3.