MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Economic Courses Solana Be Academics 2 07-31-2010 01:56 AM
relatively easy psych courses nadia1 Academics 3 07-30-2010 03:34 PM
Easy Elective Courses Lizliz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-17-2009 08:43 PM
Easy Courses Dgot11 General Discussion 10 08-11-2009 10:44 AM
Easy english courses? hans23 Academics 6 06-04-2009 02:24 PM

Easy courses

Old 03-29-2009 at 09:15 AM   #1
abounac

Liked: 0 Times

Easy courses
Hey what are some easy courses to take in general, or in the summer. I'm in the Life Science program right now so i like psych, but i also like history and all that. (And don't say its subjective, blah blah lol) By easy I mean... maybe the way its being marked, or the opportunities to get a good mark vs course content. Just let me know what you guys think! I'd love some suggestions. (I was thinking about taking chem and the religion of love- i heard its easy)
Old 03-29-2009 at 09:57 AM   #2
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

If you struggle with chemistry, and are planning to take it at some point, I suggest taking it in the summer. You will be able to focus solely on it as a course and will do better than if you were to take it along with other courses.
Old 03-29-2009 at 02:17 PM   #3
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

I had the worst luck with "easy" courses. Someone would take it and say how easy it was, then right before the term started, the department would change the prof and the new prof would make the course hard.

I actually had one new prof say after the average on the 1st midterm was 80% that, "This course has a reputation of being a bird course, I'm going to change that." The average on the 2nd midterm was 33%!

The best advice is to find Profs you like and sign up for their classes. Gordon Holmes was the best Econ Prof I had. He teaches Macroeconomics so I signed up for all his courses. They wern't easy (3rd year Topics in Monetary Policy is in no way a "bird course") but because his teaching style really suited the way I learn, and because I was used to his testing style, I learnt alot and did very well.
Old 03-29-2009 at 05:19 PM   #4
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abounac View Post
i also like history and all that.
I've had Drs. Horn, Armstrong, and Sun for history. Drs. Horn and Armstrong were great profs, Dr. Sun...not so much....

I highly recommend Armstrong's and Horn's first year history courses (1A03 and 1AA3, respectively)
Old 03-29-2009 at 08:37 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I took German, which is a six unit course, and so far it's been pretty easy. It's quite an interesting language and kind of gives you a history on what English used to be like (Germans can pretty much read Old English no problem, lol). The homework is very minimal, and the professor is a pretty cool guy. He likes to talk about how Swiss German sounds really weird and doesn't afraid of anything.

I know it's offered in the Summer, but I'm unsure of whether it's stretched out over two "summer semesters" or not (since it's normally a course that spans two semesters).

If you like languages, you might want to look into it.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2009 at 10:39 PM   #6
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

I'm not too sure what you mean by easy, but religious studies 1e03 is a good course.
The tutorials worth 22%, a bonus assignment is worth 3%, and you have two take home exams.
One is a midterm, and one is the final.

I personally like the course because its about basically love. From adultery, to Plato, to homosexuality, to prostitution. This course has everything if you are interested in something related to that.
Old 03-30-2009 at 10:25 AM   #7
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

has anyone taken religious studies 1e03 in the summer? I would really like to know how differently it is set up.
Old 03-30-2009 at 12:50 PM   #8
pinkshuniza

if the professor is Janet Ross, then it will be the same as I mentioned above.
Old 03-30-2009 at 01:26 PM   #9
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

but how will the tutorial marks be given if we don't have tutorials in the summer....?
Old 03-30-2009 at 02:18 PM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hi I'm a life sci student and my elective first term was Multimedia 1a03. I don't know if this is offered in the summer but Multimedia 1A03 is a very easy. Seriously... no midterm, the exam is common sense questions (ex What program do you use to edit pictures? Photoshop) and also involved sketching a layout given some criteria. The lectures are boring and the text is some book not sold in titles... I did not buy it because the prof posted her lectures online which was more than enough info. You are not necessarily marked on how nice your project looks but if the assignment has the criteria... Some people handed in absolute crap but as long as it had the criteria, they got perfect. I only went to about half the lectures (all the tutorials) and I got a 10.

Last edited by sinthusized : 03-30-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2009 at 02:23 PM   #11
pinkshuniza

the discussion marks are given for the participation on webct.
even if there is no tutorial, that's fine.
you have to post at least twice a week to get an A.
Old 03-30-2009 at 02:47 PM   #12
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I agree with sinthusized about MMedia 1A03 but I believe the prof is a sessional and might not be teaching in the summer, so check first!
Old 03-31-2009 at 12:59 AM   #13
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Hi there,
I'm not aware of whether you want the courses only for the summer or in general. Among my easier courses this year have been:

1) Sociology 1A06 by Behnke Cook(there are 2 profs): This course was exceedingly simple with two Multiple choice question exams(of which 10-15 questions she clearly hints if you attend all classes!) each term and very detailed webct lecture notes as well as textbook and online resources. A number of people I know have missed a number of lectures but due to the comprehensive nature of the aforementioned material they are doing rather well.

2) Cstc/Eng 1BB3: DO take this course if not as a easy grade simply for the sheer awesomeness of Professor Oullette(who also won the humanities award this year!) I guarantee this is one course you will never find yourselves falling asleep at or being bored! Very multimedia based casual teaching style, the essay's really make you think/ are slightly challenging but I still somehow ended up with a B in this despite being an international student and having no North American pop culture knowledge.

3) Phil 1B03: Long and tepid readings, however the "dialectical" essay's are a breeze to write, you simply have to understand the readings for the topic. Present your own opinion and you should atleast manage a B!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-31-2009 at 03:39 PM   #14
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

I haven't taken any but I have it on good authority that any of the Health Sci courses are both interesting and easy. most people I know that have taken them tend to agree. also for an easy one Inquiry classes, they are very easy and are useful for self betterment.
I have no idea if its offered in the summer, but there are no exams or midterms or textbooks, just an interview with the TA and prof 2x to go over how you have improved and justifying the mark you think you should get.

I hear its being restructured next year though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 03-31-2009 at 03:46 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Inquiry courses aren't offered in the summer.

Inquiry will no longer be available for the sciences as of next year because of the I-Sci program.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement