MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Some Practical, First-Hand Advice for Incoming Engineering Students @ Mac Forthex Academics 56 04-16-2010 06:59 PM
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Academic Advice from the UPPER YEAR STUDENTS' is needed! ishk33 Academics 23 08-25-2009 09:23 PM
Advice For First Year Science Students nisha First Year Success 3 06-24-2008 12:10 PM

Advice for First Year Engineering Students

Advice for First Year Engineering Students

By #Eng. (Anonymous).

To follow up on the other advice article for Science students, I decided to give some advice for the 1st year engineers!
So you've decided to enter into a program that consists of the most courses in one term, and you're probably wondering how in the world you are going to survive? Well, no need to panic...that much. Just remember four things that I think are very important. It's very easy to remember, since I've created an acronym for it - M.A.C ENG!

Seriously, it stands for four pieces of advice I would like to offer after completing Level I Engineering!

1. Meet new people. One thing I've realized is that students in Engineering 1 are very open to helping one another. The good thing about this is that you have someone to depend on for help. I know when I had trouble with certain concepts, or projects it was great to have a friend to ask and clarify things for me. It's also great for forming study groups. Study groups are great because you can get one single concept explained in many different ways, and hopefully one of those ways works for you.

2. Academic advice. First year is overwhelming; I have to admit, especially having to take 6-7 courses each term. If you feel that the workload is too much for you to handle, you can always take your electives in the summer, or maybe decide to join LEAP during the summer before school begins to get some courses out of the way. Anyways, I had a full course load and the most important thing I learned was to be organized and read ahead. With engineering, staying on track is very difficult with all the courses you have to worry about. So, right from the beginning read ahead because once you fall behind with work, it's hard to catch up. Finally, buy a huge calendar; it helps to keep track of all the midterms, assignments and other important deadlines.

a. ATTEND LECTURES (and pay attention ) When you attend lectures, make sure to at least skim through the chapter or notes the prof will be covering for that day or better yet read it. Some profs will be kind enough to post their notes online ahead of time, so you have access to all the information they will be teaching. Even if you don't fully understand what you're reading, do it anyways because the prof will further explain during lectures and then it will become clearer to you. Also, stay awake and pay attention. Lectures are opportunities for profs to go over sample problems, hint at topics that are really important and may appear during tests, and explain some fundamental concepts in depth. So, falling asleep means you miss all this important stuff.
b. LABS- be prepared and do the homework. For CHEM and PHYS labs, pre-labs are important; not only for marks, but also to better understand what you will be doing during the actual lab. You only have 3 hours to do the entire lab, you need to know what you are doing.
The other labs you will be doing are for the programming course (ENG 1D04) and graphics course (ENG 1C03). Again it is important to be prepared. For these courses, practice is crucial. For 1D04, only every other week did your lab assignment actually count towards your grade. Regardless, I advise you to attend all of them, especially if you've never programmed before, like me. Practice problems are always provided and do your best to attempt them. They are a good indication of what you will be expected to do during the next lab.
c. TUTORIALS – These are helpful because TA's are there to answer any questions you have. Most tutorials require you to do a small assignment for makrs. These are straightforward. ENG 1D04 tutorials are essentially where you learn codes and how to program so it's a good idea to attend them.
3. Communicate with professors - I know for me it was intimidating to ask a prof a question, but I soon realized how important it was to ask questions. Professors are there to help you, well at least most of them are. So don't hesitate to drop by their office hours and ask them to explain a topic you didn’t get, or maybe work on a problem you did not understand. Also, use all the resources that are available to you - professors, TA's, peers, academic advisors. First years have a huge support base and if you ever have trouble with anything, they are there to help. If you're ever in doubt ask for help...I know it's a bit cliché but there really are no such things as stupid questions. It's your education, so do not settle for anything until you are fully satisfied with it.

4. ENGage yourself - Okay so this is basically similar to thing's I've already mentioned. (I just wanted MAC ENG as an acronym )Try to get involved with extra-curricular activities. I know it's difficult but even just one will make your university experience better. I didn't really get involved much and it's something I deeply regret. Also, stay motivated. Don't give up so easily because eventually you'll get used to the workload and succeed. I did badly first term, but that just told me to work harder second term. I did, and it paid off. Again, take advantage of all the resources around.

I wanted to comment on the article about the advice for first year science students. There, it mentioned the importance of picking a good professor. I agree with this actually. Because certain professors are really passionate about what they teach, and it really makes a big difference to the students. Lectures become more interesting and easy to pay attention to. Finally, I wanted to just list out a few professor that stood out for me. For MATH courses - Dr. Childs. For MATLS - Dr. Provatas or Dr. Zurob. Unfortunately for CHEM & PHYS I don't particularly have a favourite but Dr. Barbier for chem was decent. And Dr. Venus for physics knew the concepts very well but had a tendency to go through sample problems too fast, in my opinion. I think the other core courses have only one professor so you really have no choice. For electives, I suggest to take easy fun courses - break away from the difficult eng courses you have to take. I took MUSIC and ECON; these brought my average up. However, if you feel you can cope with harder courses, feel free to take them!

Anyways, I apologize if this got lengthy. I just realized I basically went through like every ENG course... But, I wanted to give some advice not only in the academic aspect of engineering but also just advice on how to make the most out of your first year university experience. I hope it's helped somewhat and good luck to everyone!

aziz917, highoutput, Jessica_Yu, Boolean, kenvin100, nytrogyn, Paul91, starlight, ThagsanaR, xxsumz all say thanks to zoyy for this post.

Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-17-2008 at 10:19 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Year: Alumni
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
May I also suggest to do as many eng-clubs as possible - whether its Solar Car, Concrete Toboggan, Engineering Musical, or anything else, not only do you get the experience but you meet MORE new people!
You meet people in your year, upper years, people you would not have met otherwise - its AMAZING. Knowing upper years is also a huge advantage on advice and stuff.. plus they throw great parties too.

Oh! And go to as many eng events as you can, pubs, trips, WHATEVER! Info is in the lounge

Just remember we love you, Eng Frosh!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-18-2008 at 05:40 AM   #3
nikki12
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: Second
Residence: BATES

Liked: 0 Times
First year Engineering....Hmmmmm
The registration for courses is gona be there soon and you must have seen the courses you are gona take in the coming year.I can assure you one thing you all are gona simply love the frosh week . I still remember my (eng)faculty day and Faculty night .

The work load may seem to be a lot to deal with in the beginning but slowly you will get used to it and then start enjoying it . Courses like D04 definately needs a lot of attention specially if u havn't done programming before but if you work really hard you will agree 'Nothing is impossible'.

As for the profs ,for Phy I would suggest Okon and for Matl I would suggest Zurob as I found Provatas really fast and taught in a lot of depth.For Math go to Childs for sure and for Chem I would say Barbier .Other profs are also good but I personaaly enjoyed the way these profs taught the courses . Make sure you go to lectures on a regular basis and choose the afternoon labs if you find it hard to wake up in the morning . Dont read in your bed - unless you want to take a nap .When your alarm goes off you better get up - or be prepared to sleep through class .You may be disappointed when the satisfactory marks don't show up ,it may be because some courses are harder than others and you may not find that course as interesting as others.It's never too early to start studying for a test. Don't get caught thinking that you'll start tomorrow, because before you know it tomorrow will be the night before the midterm .Make sure you study for the midterms because if you do not study for them ,then in the finals when the course load increases you may find it really hard to cope up with the course and pressure.Know everything, otherwise they'll nail you on tests/exams...it's like they know what you can't remember!. Be as modest and lack as much confidence as possible before tests/exams. This way, you'll study a lot more and it'll pay off in the end.Shout for help before it is too late .

If you really find some course hard or you feel it is a lot to deal with in a semester,take summer school .They run all the courses again except P03 .

Last but not the least remember to have fun along with studies as these years will never come back again. All the best .

Boolean says thanks to nikki12 for this post.
Old 06-18-2008 at 07:25 AM   #4
neb21
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First

Liked: 1 Time
Solar Car I know is looking for a lot of new committed people next year. So come out and join!

O and as for physics profs I would say Okon for sure,but if you dont like 530 classes then mcKay I had him both semesters and he was really good.

For Chem I would say Dumont is better because he has better lecture notes and therefore you dont have to do as much outside of class. BArbier only posts notes after class, dumont posts them before. barbier notes are scribbles on overhead sheets. Dumonts are printouts.

Old 06-18-2008 at 08:31 AM   #5
JBeans
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Residence: Matthews (06-08), SOCS (08-10)

Liked: 14 Times
You don't need to worry about the lecture notes for chem anymore. They now post one set of lecture notes for all the profs.
Old 10-26-2008 at 10:56 AM   #6
neb21

k so as for entrance averages the ones I know from this year from having 4 other engineers in my house.

Civil both structural and environmental were about 7 with a full course load
Mech was a 5.5 this year
Materials was a 4
physics was a 4
software was higher not sure exactly
Mechatronics was about a 5
computer was a 4
Electrical was a 6 or 7
Chemical was a 6
Biochem was an 7 or 8
Bio med not sure

Management was a 6.5
Society was a 4

so these averages are with a FULL COURSE LOAD. you actually do not get in on these averages. You get in on your average multiplied by the number of units you take.

Take this example of two students trying to get into civil (cutoff 7)

Student 1 - 37 units - average 7
7 times 37 = 259

Student 2 - has dropped two 3 unit courses putting him/her at 31 units. they then got an average of 8.

8 times 31 = 248

Students 1 would get into civil and student 2 would not get into civil because the total for student 2 is lower.

So my advice is do not drop a course unless you have to. Be very careful about this. Also if you have advanced credits like IB or AP they also lower your multiplier/total units.

Two of my housemates did not get into their first choices because of this. Dont be fooled, this is how the system works.

mfattal likes this.
Old 01-21-2009 at 03:45 PM   #7
faizan
Faculty: Arts & Science

Liked: 0 Times
HELP please

currently i am freaking out because everyone i know who is already in Schulich School of Engineering is telling me that first year is going to apparently kill me with the workload -.-

SOOO i am convinced by what they are saying and then i read this :

If you feel that the workload is too much for you to handle, you can always take your electives in the summer, or maybe decide to join LEAP during the summer before school begins to get some courses out of the way

what does this individual mean by electives in the summer ( does he/she mean summer school if so thenwell I wanted to know what courses are available and ughh where to sign up and when is the sign up dates and all that stuff .. SO IF someone could PLEASE help me out .. it would HELP ME loads feel free to just email me: [email protected] l.com

Last edited by faizan : 01-21-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2009 at 04:40 PM   #8
neb21

Yeah so individual elective is just the two elective = non engineering courses you get to take.

Dont worry the summer list of courses is not out yet, but you cant take courses other than LEAP (which gets you two courses) until you get to mac. If you wanted to make your course load lighter then you could take stuff next summer (2010) instead of during the school year.

I recommend LEAP as I ran one of the streams last summer and its a great way to lighten your course load for first year.
Old 01-21-2009 at 05:45 PM   #9
micadjems
Awesome Member

Although I gotta say leap is awesome (it really is!) some courses just aren't the same - so it isnt for everyone. For example, 1p03 is very different in normal first year as everyone takes it, so its a great way to meet people in class and in groups.

Do consider just doing a regular load - most of us got through ok
Old 05-29-2009 at 09:45 PM   #10
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Although I gotta say leap is awesome (it really is!) some courses just aren't the same - so it isnt for everyone. For example, 1p03 is very different in normal first year as everyone takes it, so its a great way to meet people in class and in groups.

Do consider just doing a regular load - most of us got through ok
I hope LEAP is awesome because I may plan to attend it this summer
Old 05-29-2009 at 10:57 PM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
"For MATH courses - Dr. Childs."

Good god, that statement would just increase the mob of first years bearing down upon his overcrowded lectures and not going to their own. But Hopefully, I with the help of Engineering SRA would be able to get a Bigger Room for Dr Childs next year!

But I would also like to elaborate how important extra curriculars are! I don't think I actually have evidence for other extracurriculars but for Recreational sports on Campus a 2006 study of over U.S.A 12 colleges found that people who participate in 2-6 hours of sports every week score much higher in campus life satisfaction, overall happiness and most importantly their grades! Intramural games and free for all pick ups are a great way to lose of stress and meet new people!

It doesn't matter if you are good or not, just get out there and play! Also don't hesistate to sign up for as many clubs as you can at clubsfest during welcome week or By going through the Mac Clubs online portal and finding clubs you like. Alot of what defines you as a person is shaped outside classroom in extracurriculars! Here are a number of reasons WHY by a Mac Student http://watercoolergossip.wor dpress.com/

Sure a number of things don't probably apply directly to you, but I guess a prospective employer does like a well rounded candidate in all fields!

Be Champions!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-30-2009 at 01:33 PM   #12
micadjems
Awesome Member

Awesome! What section are you in? I know just about everyone working there - theyre all amazing people!!
Old 06-24-2009 at 11:35 PM   #13
starlight

Liked: 3 Times
Hey!! Just letting you guys know that this thread is really helpful and I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to make this =) Can't waaait for Mac Eng next year!!!

P.S Is it doable/advisable to join a few clubs and be a varsity athelete while engineering? I know the workload will be tough but I'm definitely trying out for varsity next year and I just love being involved =)
Old 06-25-2009 at 12:52 AM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member
Program: Commerce

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
Hey!! Just letting you guys know that this thread is really helpful and I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to make this =) Can't waaait for Mac Eng next year!!!

P.S Is it doable/advisable to join a few clubs and be a varsity athelete while engineering? I know the workload will be tough but I'm definitely trying out for varsity next year and I just love being involved =)
A lot of my friends in engineering managed to balance a healthy extra curricular life style with their course load. It just takes a lot of discipline to not slack off, because while it's doable to balance both, you really need to focus and be on the ball so that you don't fall behind in your classes.

starlight says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-25-2009 at 06:41 AM   #15
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post

I would suggest picking one big thing to do, or a couple little things.

My first year I did engineering musical, badminton, and dance. It ended up just being too much, having a rehearsal/meet for each every week, and some of my marks suffered because I just didn't have time. In past years I've chosen to just do musical.

Do whatever you like of course, it's different for different people! Just my 2c

starlight says thanks to micadjems for this post.

Article Tools