MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice?!~ xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-24-2009 11:56 AM
I need some advice. jordko General Discussion 12 10-29-2009 08:05 PM
Go Bus advice Kareko General Discussion 13 09-19-2009 05:56 PM
Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Advice fm gamers please

Old 12-15-2009 at 07:47 AM   #1
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

Advice fm gamers please
I need help deciding on what system(s) to buy. My kids already have a Wii, PS3 and each has a DS. They play "T" games. They've asked for an XBox 360 and PSPs for Christmas. I will only buy them one. I know the PSP is portable and seems more advanced than the DS they each have. I'm not sure about XBox 360. Is it better than the other systems they already have? Is it that much different? Someone told me a year or so ago that they would soon stop making XBox 360 games but that doesn't seem to be happening. Which one should I buy?
Old 12-15-2009 at 08:27 AM   #2
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

get them a baseball and 2 gloves...

other than that, i would go with a 360... PSPs are portable, yes. But they dont have a great game selection (ie they have a lot of games, but they aren't really anything to write how about). 360 has a plethora of games to chose from, and a lot of 'blockbuster' titles.

ThatGuy likes this.
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:32 AM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Wow, you buy a lot for your kids!

To be honest, it seems like they would be better off with more games for the systems they already have, but if they have their hearts set on a new system, a 360 would be best.

They've come down in price a lot since they were first released, and there's a much larger library of games for it than the PSP. I don't think either system will stop making games anytime soon, but 360 games will keep being made longer. Most people I know with PSPs tend to regret the purchase, there aren't as many options for it.
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:46 AM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I'd say the 360 as well. Lots of good games for it.
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:48 AM   #5
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

Physical activities are v. important and they are active - Tae Kwon Do, hockey, basketball, etc., but they love electronic games. Spoilt - maybe they are, but faces on Christmas morning, priceless. Thanks, guys. I was leaning towards the PSPs but now am thinking Xbox 360. Are there different Xbox systems like there are Play Stations?
Old 12-15-2009 at 11:16 AM   #6
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtam View Post
I need help deciding on what system(s) to buy. My kids already have a Wii, PS3 and each has a DS. They play "T" games. They've asked for an XBox 360 and PSPs for Christmas. I will only buy them one. I know the PSP is portable and seems more advanced than the DS they each have. I'm not sure about XBox 360. Is it better than the other systems they already have? Is it that much different? Someone told me a year or so ago that they would soon stop making XBox 360 games but that doesn't seem to be happening. Which one should I buy?
Do not buy them the new PSP - frankly it is a waste of money, because it costs $50 dollars less than the PS3, and it does way less. Seeing how you already have a PS3 it is just a waste of money. DS is the way to go, they have more games and it is cheaper as well.
I would get them an Xbox 360. The new one is rumoured to come out sometime in 2015 so there is still a lot of time to get it. Plus it is cheaper than the PS3.
I would get the 360, has more games - especially family games (atleast in comparison to the PS3)
Old 12-15-2009 at 11:39 AM   #7
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I think it's difficult to answer this question without knowing what kinds of games your kids play. T-rated, sure, but there are plenty to choose from from almost every genre. Knowing their ages might help a little too.

If family games are your thing, then the Wii should suit all your needs, though I am generalizing a bit.

I have a PSP (bought it on launch day!) and still enjoy it a lot today. It caters more to my tastes, plus if they're old enough to know how, hacking it a relatively simple process, and adds features that could come in handy. Piracy helps when you want to experiment with games you're not sure are worth the money either, but for the record, I always try to buy the ones I really enjoy.

Though I agree with what someone else said: if you're gong to get one, go for the PSP-3000 and not the PSP Go. You'll know you made the right choice if it's cheaper and doesn't have a sliding screen.

I find that if you already have a PS3, getting the 360 is somewhat redundant. Many games are multiplatform (that is, they appear on both consoles) these days, and I find that the 360's library of exclusive titles focuses on mostly first-person shooters. Which is fine if that's what your kids are into, I guess.

This is coming from someone with a somewhat biased perspective though, as I have a PS3. Not to mention online play, which a lot of people are into these days, costs a slick $50/year with the 360, though its service it reportedly better.

If you had originally bought a 360 and were considering a PS3 though, I'd probably tell you the same thing minus the blu-ray factor, but let's not get into that.
Old 12-15-2009 at 11:49 AM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtam View Post
Physical activities are v. important and they are active - Tae Kwon Do, hockey, basketball, etc., but they love electronic games. Spoilt - maybe they are, but faces on Christmas morning, priceless. Thanks, guys. I was leaning towards the PSPs but now am thinking Xbox 360. Are there different Xbox systems like there are Play Stations?
If they have a PS3 a 360 is redundant, apart from a handful of games, their game catalogs are largely identical. Then you have to take into consideration the fact you'll likely be paying to play online as well. A PSP would be a better addition to what they already have, or better yet you can take them out and buy new games for their existing consoles, they can always use new games, but at this point they don't really need another console.

Taunton likes this.
Old 12-15-2009 at 12:11 PM   #9
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

360 console- highly recommended, 360 live addicting - not recommended.

Old 12-15-2009 at 12:27 PM   #10
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
If they have a PS3 a 360 is redundant
Agreed
Old 12-15-2009 at 12:28 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah...an X360 would be better than buying a PSP, but in both cases (generally) a PS3 does what either of those systems would do for your kids.

There're a few games on the X360 that aren't on the PS3, but other than that ... a lot of good games appear on both systems.

It's up to you, I suppose, but perhaps that $300 or whatnot (plus games, controllers, XBox Live > $400), could be better spent on something else? If not, then a 360 isn't a bad idea either.
Old 12-15-2009 at 01:22 PM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

get them psp 3000 if you can, not the new psp

xbox 360 would only be good if they wanna play some exclusives otherwise it's a waste seeing that they already have a ps3
but i dunno, i'm a pc gmer as of late
Old 12-15-2009 at 01:31 PM   #13
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

well since they are T. you should go with psp. Xbox is only good for M titles.
Old 12-15-2009 at 01:45 PM   #14
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Agreed
Not unless you're a serious gamer and play stuff like Uncharted and Gears of War.
Old 12-15-2009 at 03:23 PM   #15
tlherr

Liked: 0 Times

Xbox is probably best option for the following reasons:
- It has lots of parental controls on it if you wish to control the gaming environment of your kids. Even has options to restrict the movies it plays etc.
- Large selection of a variety of different genres of games
- Between Wii and Ps3 in price
It wont be obsolete for a while, I have read many analysts predicting next console cycle around 2013.
Those are just my observations, I own a 360 so I am biased.
Nice to see a parent actually learning about gaming and watching what games their kids play.
Im sure no matter what you get em, your kids will have a good Christmas