MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 01-02-2011 05:27 PM
Advice?!~ xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-24-2009 11:56 AM
Go Bus advice Kareko General Discussion 13 09-19-2009 05:56 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM
some advice please... kin or bio? sunny General Discussion 9 06-22-2009 10:25 PM

Advice on Improving CA/GPA

Old 05-16-2011 at 12:00 PM   #1
Letmedowneas

Liked: 0 Times

Advice on Improving CA/GPA
Hello,

I've just finished my last year of a Hon. humanities degree and all my grades are in. I did well this year and my sessional average was a 10.5. However, due to a somewhat poor showing in third year my CA is only a 9.2

As you all probably know to be competitive in applying to grad schools your CA should be closer to a 10. I wish to apply to grad programs for Sept. '12. Some programs I'm interested in advertise a minimum of B+ average so I'm covered for those, while others ask for an A-

To be as successful as I can be in my grad applications I'd like to try and bump my CA up to a 10.
So my question is: Say I take 2 classes in the second semester of the summer session and do well in them, say receive an A- in each or even an A would this improve my CA in a significant way? I've been trying to do the calculations myself but following what I believe is the way they calculate these averages, the scenario I described seems like it would actually lower my CA from a 9.2 to a 9.0, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If anyone could advise that would be much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:14 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

9.2*40 (The 40 courses you've taken so far) + 10*2 (The mark you expect to get times the number of courses you plan to take)

Now divide everything by 42 (The 40 courses you've taken so far plus your new summer school courses)

Your new Average would be about 9.24
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:20 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmedowneas View Post
Hello,

I've just finished my last year of a Hon. humanities degree and all my grades are in. I did well this year and my sessional average was a 10.5. However, due to a somewhat poor showing in third year my CA is only a 9.2

As you all probably know to be competitive in applying to grad schools your CA should be closer to a 10. I wish to apply to grad programs for Sept. '12. Some programs I'm interested in advertise a minimum of B+ average so I'm covered for those, while others ask for an A-

To be as successful as I can be in my grad applications I'd like to try and bump my CA up to a 10.
So my question is: Say I take 2 classes in the second semester of the summer session and do well in them, say receive an A- in each or even an A would this improve my CA in a significant way? I've been trying to do the calculations myself but following what I believe is the way they calculate these averages, the scenario I described seems like it would actually lower my CA from a 9.2 to a 9.0, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If anyone could advise that would be much appreciated.
It won't make a big difference because you are already done school. Your 9.2 average is for 120 credits so adding 6 credits won't do much even if you get a 12 in both courses.

For example:

120*9.2=1104

If you get a 12 in 6 credits you increase 1104 by 72 which is 1176.

Now divide by the new total credits 1176/126 = 9.33