MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Arkells Concert Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-11-2010 12:38 PM
Alexisonfire Concert Chad MacInsiders Announcements 22 09-07-2010 08:12 PM
Playing pool at Mac? _Luu_ General Discussion 18 08-31-2010 06:12 PM
Tokyo Police Club Playing a FREE Show lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 05-26-2009 02:16 PM

Alexisonfire and the Arkells playing Welcome Week!!

Old 08-05-2010 at 01:24 AM   #30
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Just having the macpass is good enough, but its one of those wristbands that doesn't really come off. You could try cutting it off/ taping it back together, as long as it isn't obvious you should be fine.

Old 08-05-2010 at 06:10 AM   #31
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Popularity =/= Being good. Common misconception.
And who are you to call a band good or bad? lol

Just because they don't "appeal" to you, does not mean the band is bad.

Learn to appreciate all types of music, and if you aren't fond of the bands that are playing, don't go, plain and simple, thats what i did last year.

No need to be all negative about it when there are a ton of people who will enjoy the shows.

And Ballad of Hugo Chavez is good, but if you havn't seen them live, wait til they play Oh, the Boss is Coming, everyone FLIPS OUT haha its awesome.

marrgarita, Scrub, Shmowen like this.

Old 08-05-2010 at 06:47 AM   #32
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times
I squealed for joy when I heard the Arkells part. Listen carefully to the lyrics in John Lennon (hint: all about westdale). Here's a video I shot when the lead singer did an acoustic show at 1280: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBKdZTK30g

Also, the best Alexisonfire song is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDZO5KihUbc

Old 08-05-2010 at 07:31 AM   #33
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times
Oh my god! AOF! I saw them when they played the University of Guelph 2 years ago and they completely blew the roof off the place. I've been at the front row to Iron Maiden and Metallica before, but somehow the crowd for AOF at U of G was more intense and more physical. Plus, the time before I saw them at the Molson Amphitheatre, there was a maaasssssive circle pit.... ON THE BACK LAWN, ON A HILL. Security desparately tried to break it up but they just couldn't haha.

Alexisonfire knows how to work a crowd, for sure! This is going to be 14 kinds of epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
I squealed for joy when I heard the Arkells part. Listen carefully to the lyrics in John Lennon (hint: all about westdale). Here's a video I shot when the lead singer did an acoustic show at 1280: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBKdZTK30g

Also, the best Alexisonfire song is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDZO5KihUbc
I'd say that's my favourite from the newest album for sure, but I'm always partial to No Transitory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9EWgqCfm_o&feature=fvst

Though I have been listening to 44 Caliber Love Letter a lot... hmmm

Last edited by Freak705 : 08-05-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Old 08-05-2010 at 09:50 AM   #34
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Aww, I was actually a bit hopeful about a string quartet. Damnit.

Old 08-05-2010 at 09:59 AM   #35
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Still waiting for Stars to come (back?) :(
Stars came to Mac once? Damnit.

Alexisonfire will be good, though I'm not a fan of their new stuff. Arkells will be decent too.

Old 08-05-2010 at 10:55 AM   #36
Abid.Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
And who are you to call a band good or bad? lol

Just because they don't "appeal" to you, does not mean the band is bad.

Learn to appreciate all types of music, and if you aren't fond of the bands that are playing, don't go, plain and simple, thats what i did last year.

No need to be all negative about it when there are a ton of people who will enjoy the shows.

And Ballad of Hugo Chavez is good, but if you havn't seen them live, wait til they play Oh, the Boss is Coming, everyone FLIPS OUT haha its awesome.
If a band doesn't appeal to someone, why shouldn't they be able to say that the band is bad? Being open minded is one thing but if you have an opinion on something, stick to your guns. I'm sure there are a few artists out there that you think are bad, large fanbase or not.

When you hear someone talk about how gay marriage should be disallowed(or whatever topic you're passionate about) do you just sit there saying "well, I can understand where you're coming from, let's just agree to disagree"? No, you say "No, you are wrong". And that's perfectly fine. Because to you, they are wrong and there's nothing wrong with saying that.

Old 08-05-2010 at 12:50 PM   #37
Abid.Hasan

There's this band Memoryhouse that I've been liking lately. Turns out they're from Guelph, I dunno why but I thought they were American for sure.

Old 08-05-2010 at 04:10 PM   #38
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abid.Hasan View Post
If a band doesn't appeal to someone, why shouldn't they be able to say that the band is bad? Being open minded is one thing but if you have an opinion on something, stick to your guns. I'm sure there are a few artists out there that you think are bad, large fanbase or not.

When you hear someone talk about how gay marriage should be disallowed(or whatever topic you're passionate about) do you just sit there saying "well, I can understand where you're coming from, let's just agree to disagree"? No, you say "No, you are wrong". And that's perfectly fine. Because to you, they are wrong and there's nothing wrong with saying that.
Actually no, if two men or two women want to get married, let them. Who am i to say if it's right or wrong? I cant, which is why I wont.

Don't tell me one of the most successful Canadian bands, especially considering they've only been around for 9 years, is "bad".

Just because you don't like the style of music, or the people in the band, or the songs in general, does not mean they are bad.

Music isn't about good or bad, its about the appeal to the listeners. If you don't relate to the songs, or you don't dig the music, just don't listen.

This argument is stupid, if you dont like the god damn band just dont ****ing go. Listen to lady gaga or whatever appeals to you alone in your room on your ipod while everyone has a good time at the show.

Old 08-05-2010 at 04:31 PM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Wow, I have nothing against Alexisonfire but I would NOT go so far as to say they are one of Canada's most successful bands...

Unless, of course, you only know like, 2 bands. ._.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-05-2010 at 05:26 PM   #40
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Well at least its something I've heard of? Yay?

Old 08-05-2010 at 05:32 PM   #41
Abid.Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
Just because you don't like the style of music, or the people in the band, or the songs in general, does not mean they are bad.
"Just because you think a band is bad doesn't mean that you can say they're bad!"

uh

Old 08-05-2010 at 05:35 PM   #42
Abid.Hasan

Music can be good or bad in the same way movies or books can be good or bad. That's why there is such a thing as "criticism".

Old 08-05-2010 at 08:04 PM   #43
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Rock bands again, and bands that have already played McMaster again.

Shocking.

Yawn.

Old 08-05-2010 at 08:14 PM   #44
zango
Elite Member

Really? Alexisonfire is known all over the world, they've toured in Australia, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, US, literally everywhere. Not many bands get to go on tour and have fans all over the world.

Pretty sure I know more than 2 bands. Music is my life thx.

Oh, and they also were chosen to play a Rush cover during Rush's induction into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, as well as having won many other awards.

But you know, thats not successful or anything.

Last edited by zango : 08-05-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search