MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printers Allowed in Dorms? Woohoo92 Residence & Housing 9 08-19-2010 07:04 PM
no modification allowed for certain course? hilaryn Academics 6 08-11-2010 12:11 PM
Number of people allowed in a course Kira Academics 7 06-13-2010 11:17 PM
skateboards allowed? neff First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-27-2008 08:12 PM
Electric Kettle in rez allowed? kenvin100 Residence & Housing 15 08-27-2008 08:06 AM

Is this allowed?

Old 03-31-2010 at 01:19 PM   #16
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
...why is the MSU putting up with this? Arent unions there to protect the people who are part of them?
yeeeah, I'm pretty sure Spring Masters has to book out space in MUSC to put up displays and hold recruitment sessions. I'm sure if enough people complained - you'd get much stricter guidelines. I'm curious, does the MSU get a percentage from recruitment revenue?
Old 03-31-2010 at 01:29 PM   #17
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
yeeeah, I'm pretty sure Spring Masters has to book out space in MUSC to put up displays and hold recruitment sessions. I'm sure if enough people complained - you'd get much stricter guidelines. I'm curious, does the MSU get a percentage from recruitment revenue?
maybe just the important people get kickbacks?

p.s. you forgot to compliment my great lolcat picture
Old 03-31-2010 at 01:31 PM   #18
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Yeah Sorry guys for not posting yet; I've just quietly been lurking this thread and internally raging.

But the going into Rez and posting on whiteboards makes me really mad!

A few points, if you see any unapproved Spring Masters Posters(Meaning they don't have the MSU stamp) rip them off; they are not supposed to be there and were they a on campus group doing that unapproved stuff they would get $100+ fines from the Posters and Advertisement committee.

In terms of MUSC bookings; MUSC isn't directly owned or controlled by the MSU. MUSC is a separate "corporation" that is 50/50 owned by the administration and MSU. I had a talk with Dr Phil Wood the VP Student Affairs about their class room talks since I saw that as the #1 Priority in dealing with them. He did promise that he will look into that as well as their solicitation and "approaching" of students in MUSC.

The MSU cannot directly stop them from getting their MUSC bookings though because they don't own directly MUSC. However if enough of you put pressure on them they will be forced to ask the MUSC to stop giving out bookings to Spring Masters.

The two emails are [email protected] ca & [email protected] ca

The MSU doesn't get anything from Spring Masters Directly; their floor rentals are directly paid to MUSC Corporation.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-31-2010 at 01:34 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Oh wow, 100 dollars. That'll show them.

>____<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

madBiologist says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 03-31-2010 at 01:35 PM   #20
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
The MSU doesn't get anything from Spring Masters Directly; their floor rentals are directly paid to MUSC Corporation.
And those floor rentals, once the MSU has prepared their consolidated financial statements, appear as revenue at 50% of the total amount charged to Spring Masters (assuming your 50/50 breakdown is correct). So, they pretty much directly get something from Spring Masters.
Old 03-31-2010 at 01:37 PM   #21
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Oh wow, 100 dollars. That'll show them.

>____<
lol. I think that's for MSU Clubs, some of which may actually be impacted by a $100 fine. Of course, Spring Masters wouldn't care about such a fine, even if it could be enforced.
Old 03-31-2010 at 01:40 PM   #22
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
And those floor rentals, once the MSU has prepared their consolidated financial statements, appear as revenue at 50% of the total amount charged to Spring Masters (assuming your 50/50 breakdown is correct). So, they pretty much directly get something from Spring Masters.
The MSU actually makes NO money from any Atrium rental. We actually pay them rent for any places where we make money or conduct profit making enterprises(eg: Underground & MSU Office) but we don't pay anything to MUSC when our clubs make bookings or for services that don't make profit(Eg: QSCC, SHEC, SWHAT). Its not really the best of deals but it is structured this way I think because the MSU was really pushing for a student center and that is the deal they received in the end. There is also the MSU share for paying of of the mortgage for the student center involved somewhere in the deal

SRA Eng Matt Wright is the elected SRA rep on the MUSC Board of Management and hopefully he sees this thread and would be able to provide more info. But the first part is confirm, the MSU makes no money at all from them.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

sniderj says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 03-31-2010 at 01:41 PM   #23
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

yeah I was told to email teh prez and teh vp admin, and I just did
Old 04-01-2010 at 06:42 PM   #24
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

I found a Spring Masters poster in the ABB BASEMENT. Are they really that desperate to scam student?
Old 04-01-2010 at 07:47 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
I found a Spring Masters poster in the ABB BASEMENT. Are they really that desperate to scam student?
Yes! I see the posters in odd places too, like UH 102. I wonder if it's a student who works for Spring Masters putting up the posters, or if it is strictly Spring Masters staff creeping around campus.
Old 04-01-2010 at 09:27 PM   #26
thatdudeukno

I actually had the joy of working for spring master last year. Although it only lasted a week or so, I learned a few things.

You pretty much just run door to door carrying this huge mother****ing lawnmoweresque thing, asking people if you can punch holes into their god damn lawn.

The money however does not come from the actual services (punching holes) you are providing the customers but rather from you begging them to get it done because you need to pay for university (sales pitch).

A fee of $10 for the equipment rental is required everyday. Did I mention that they take 66% of whatever you earn?

EDIT: It especially sucks ass during rainy days because they pretty much just drop you off on the street and pick you up when they feel like.

micadjems says thanks to for this post.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:20 PM   #27
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

You know that saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"?

I didn't think anyone really believed these kind of outrageous claims, but unfortunately, I have met several who do. *doublefacepalm*

My favorite course of action on annoying/obviously dodgy posters is to take out my Sharpie and perform some editing. It's not under glass if it's not legit.

I encourage all of you to do the same. If you rip them down and fine them, great, they will still keep doing it. If we get a few hundred smartasses with Sharpies who fix annoying posters to say things like "Spring Masterbators: Pay Your Tuition in Cash (Courtesy of Crackhead Mabel of Barton St East). " etc etc etc.... They'll stop putting them up eventually.

andrew22 likes this.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:25 PM   #28
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I see a lot that have "SCAM" written on them, and I think that suffices. I would actually rather have the posters up with "Scam" written on them so students can look it up and see for themselves. If we take the posters down, they will just put more up.

madBiologist likes this.
Old 04-02-2010 at 04:27 PM   #29
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I see a lot that have "SCAM" written on them, and I think that suffices. I would actually rather have the posters up with "Scam" written on them so students can look it up and see for themselves. If we take the posters down, they will just put more up.

That's me

I hope other people start doing it too.

andrew22 says thanks to madBiologist for this post.

andrew22, lorend like this.
Old 04-02-2010 at 07:58 PM   #30
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

What about this?:http://workforstudents.com/cap

I found an ad posted up (yellow one) and it looks like every other cookie-cutter out-of-the-box scam ive seen on campus(?)..