MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
will i be kicked out? manap3000 Academics 10 04-30-2010 07:20 PM
Kicked out of University? Charbs Academics 5 01-30-2010 12:05 AM
Will I get kicked out? don.999 Academics 11 09-02-2009 06:20 AM
Getting kicked out of residence ppppp Residence & Housing 43 08-19-2009 02:37 PM
Am I gonna get kicked out II yoyoman Academics 4 05-31-2009 12:52 PM

Am I Going to Get Kicked Out of Mac?? please help

Old 04-14-2009 at 03:46 PM   #1
hablagen

Liked: 0 Times

Am I Going to Get Kicked Out of Mac?? please help
I am currently nearing the end of a sub par first year at mac. First semester i did not fail any courses, although my marks were never higher then a D+. I also dropped one course in each of the semesters. This semester i am doing similarily but am in line to fail at least one course, possibly another. Is this grounds for me to get kicked out once first year concludes? I have read that if u have under a 3.0 (me) that you cannot continue at the university but i dont know if htey enforce this or if it is true. I also heard that that can only apply at the end of second year. Any information shared is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2009 at 04:32 PM   #2
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Expectations/requirements vary by department/faculty. You're best off talking to an academic adviser in your faculty sooner rather than later.
Old 04-14-2009 at 04:42 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If I recall correctly, if you have been put on academic probation and do not meet the standards of the probation (i.e. don't have the neccessary average to stay enrolled) you will not be permitted to continue. You can be put on probation after completing the first term of first year.

It is my understanding that you are informed if you are on probation, although I am not positive about this.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-14-2009 at 04:43 PM   #4
hablagen

it might be worth adding that i was NOT put on acamdeic probation at the end of first semester, i recieved no warnings or other emails from hte university
Old 04-14-2009 at 04:45 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You may have first semester of second year to see if you stay at Mac. But that is if they explicitly state you are on probation, which I already stated I'm unsure about.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-14-2009 at 04:46 PM   #6
hablagen

fair enough, thanks for your input
Old 04-14-2009 at 10:15 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It would be a really, really good idea to talk to your faculty's academic counsellor ASAP. I'm sure it isn't easy for you, worrying about what could happen without knowing anything.

As far as I know, having a sessional average of less than 3.5 (3.0-3.4) will put you on academic probation. What this means is, because your final marks for first year haven't been factored in yet, they haven't contacted you about it. If your final CA is under 3.5 by the end of this year, they most likely will contact you.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_115.htm

Do your best on your exams, it can make a huge difference.
Old 04-16-2009 at 10:41 AM   #8
bodiddy

Liked: Liked 3 Times

McMaster does not place first year students on academic probation because you need to be accepted into a program/degree first (which happens when you apply for level 2). If your average is below 3.0 you can try and apply for reinstatement where they will reset your average to 0 and you start over again. You have to fill out a form and write a letter explaining your poor success etc. Reinstatement is not guarenteed so make sure you have a good reason. Your best option is to go talk to your academic advisor and see what they have to say, and ace those exams.
Old 04-17-2009 at 02:07 AM   #9
angela_009

bodiddy, when you say "McMaster does not place first year students on academic probation because you need to be accepted into a program/degree first (which happens when you apply for level 2).", what exactly do you mean? Are you saying that McMaster does not place first year students on academic probation or kick them out at all? OR are you saying that McMaster does not give first year students the chance to be put on probation to prove they can better marks, and instead just kick them out immediately?
Old 04-17-2009 at 07:47 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I would disagree completely with bodiddy. I had friends who were on academic probation for Term II of first year...

Old 04-17-2009 at 10:02 AM   #11
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Yeah man, have you heard of re-froshing?
Old 04-17-2009 at 11:17 AM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddy View Post
McMaster does not place first year students on academic probation because you need to be accepted into a program/degree first (which happens when you apply for level 2). If your average is below 3.0 you can try and apply for reinstatement where they will reset your average to 0 and you start over again. You have to fill out a form and write a letter explaining your poor success etc. Reinstatement is not guarenteed so make sure you have a good reason. Your best option is to go talk to your academic advisor and see what they have to say, and ace those exams.
I don't get it though, most programs require certain minimums to get into them for second year, so if someone can't make it, what happens then?
Old 04-17-2009 at 11:29 AM   #13
micadjems
Awesome Member

refrosh and get your marks higher!

i know in engineering theres usually at least 2 or 3 programs that don't fill up completely, so you can get in them with the bare minimum, though. so you can choose to try those, too.
Old 04-17-2009 at 04:30 PM   #14
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
refrosh and get your marks higher!

i know in engineering theres usually at least 2 or 3 programs that don't fill up completely, so you can get in them with the bare minimum, though. so you can choose to try those, too.
So kids who dont get at least a 4.0 are drafted into a random stream that has space? Surely there has to be some limitations to this..I doubt kids with a 2.0 can get a one way ticket to a 2nd yr eng program...

Old 04-17-2009 at 04:33 PM   #15
micadjems
Awesome Member

no, you need a 4.0 at least

but if you have 4.01 let's say, youll likely get into comp or eng phys