MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kicked out of University? Charbs Academics 5 01-30-2010 12:05 AM
Will I get kicked out? don.999 Academics 11 09-02-2009 06:20 AM
Getting kicked out of residence ppppp Residence & Housing 43 08-19-2009 02:37 PM
Am I gonna get kicked out II yoyoman Academics 4 05-31-2009 12:52 PM
Am I Going to Get Kicked Out of Mac?? please help hablagen Academics 34 05-30-2009 05:15 PM

will i be kicked out?

Old 04-30-2010 at 01:51 AM   #1
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

will i be kicked out?
okay guys im a First Year Life Science student and after this set of exams im scared my university experience is coming to an end (ie. im gonna get kicked out) tell me if you think so too:

1st Semester: averaged at least 7 in Bio 1A03,Math 1ls3 (got a 10),Chem 1A03,Psych 1X03,Econ 1b03

And then second semester with a combination of factors it all started to go wrong:
i've checked my results and realized i've already failed Physics 1b03 and enviro Sci (dont ask how the latter happened)

i feel so frustrated b/c i know i could have done better if i put forth a better effort/managed my time more efficiently. But i want to know what are my options from here on out considering if i do poorly on the rest of my second semester courses (psych 1xx3,chem 1aa3,bio 1mo3);

p.s. i wanna go into honours life sci, or honours biochem
Old 04-30-2010 at 09:54 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
okay guys im a First Year Life Science student and after this set of exams im scared my university experience is coming to an end (ie. im gonna get kicked out) tell me if you think so too:

1st Semester: averaged at least 7 in Bio 1A03,Math 1ls3 (got a 10),Chem 1A03,Psych 1X03,Econ 1b03

And then second semester with a combination of factors it all started to go wrong:
i've checked my results and realized i've already failed Physics 1b03 and enviro Sci (dont ask how the latter happened)

i feel so frustrated b/c i know i could have done better if i put forth a better effort/managed my time more efficiently. But i want to know what are my options from here on out considering if i do poorly on the rest of my second semester courses (psych 1xx3,chem 1aa3,bio 1mo3);

p.s. i wanna go into honours life sci, or honours biochem
You will have to wait for all your marks to be released. So far you haven't failed any courses that you ABSOLUTELY need for admission into those programs. Although you will have to retake Physics 1B03 for either program. You need at least a 6.0 CA to be considered for the programs.

You need a CA of 3.5 to continue your studies, although you MAY continue under certain circumstances if your CA is between 3.0-3.4 for 1 review session. If your CA is less than 3.0 then you will be kicked out. If you are kicked out you will have to take classes at another university in order to prove yourself if you want to study at Mac again.

You should definitively make an appointment with an Academic counsellor to know ALL your options though.
Old 04-30-2010
SKHS2
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-30-2010 at 10:00 AM   #3
SKHS2

Liked: 0 Times

but the undergraduate calendar says that for Honours Life Sciences, you can either do Physics 1B03 or 1L03? :/
Old 04-30-2010 at 10:35 AM   #4
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

if you had a 7 average first semester you should be fine. As long as you passed everything except physics and enviro sci you will have above a 3.0 average. You won't get into any honours program for next year but they'll place you in Science level 2. From there you can shadow the program you want to get into and then transfer in third year. As for the 2 failed courses, you can make those up in summer school sometime..
Old 04-30-2010 at 10:44 AM   #5
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

You are required to have a credit in Physics 1B03 by the end of your 2nd year for Honours Biochemistry.

I think with lower grades, you are usually still guaranteed to remain in Life Sciences (not sure about Honours) but if you get your grades high enough I'm sure it won't be a problem to switch into Honours from the 3 year program.

I don't know how your grades are you but on the bright side, at least you didn't fail the required courses for 1st year. If you have a CA over 3.5, work harder next year. I would suggest retaking Physics 1B03 in the summer to ease your workload in 2nd year if you haven't been able to handle it well thus far.

If you have to get reinstated, worry about that first and then if you aren't accepted into either Honours program, focus on improving your grades and shadowing courses in the program you really want to be in for a year. Then try to transfer into it.

I do want to say though that 1st year is so much easier than 2nd year was for most of us in Honours Biochemistry. Biochemistry and Chemical Biology are two of the few majors in science with very heavy workloads. If you aren't able to handle it up until now, reconsider your choice in program if you want to apply to professional school to keep your grades up. If you are interested in a research intensive major, then Honours Biochemistry could be for you.

manap3000 likes this.
Old 04-30-2010 at 10:44 AM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
As for the 2 failed courses, you can make those up in summer school sometime..
You should actually try to do them this summer if it's not too late and you have time. I'm pretty sure both those courses are offered in the summer.
Old 04-30-2010 at 11:28 AM   #7
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Hey guys I was wondering has it ever happened that they have selected people with average lower than 6 but higher than 5. Lets say 5.77
PS: Im gonna be taking summer school lol to bump up my average
Old 04-30-2010 at 11:32 AM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Hey guys I was wondering has it ever happened that they have selected people with average lower than 6 but higher than 5. Lets say 5.77
you would go into the non-honours program. If you increase your average to a 6 at the end of summer, you could get into Honours Life Science or other honours program if there is room and if you meet the requirements.
Old 04-30-2010 at 01:58 PM   #9
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
The summer classes don't count towards your current C.A, they count towards next year's C.A unless you get special permission from the department.
Old 04-30-2010 at 07:20 PM   #10
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
The summer classes don't count towards your current C.A, they count towards next year's C.A unless you get special permission from the department.
Well id doesnt matter in my case because Im first year. It is the cumulative average that they are looking at anyways.
Old 05-02-2010 at 12:06 AM   #11
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

guys thanks for your responses they were really helpful;

based on what was said im under the impression:
CA>3.5 = you can stay in life science (though theres no way in hell you get into honours) (but i can shadow right?)

I noticed i would have the 3.5 average if i failed all my courses 2nd semester; from another thread i read mcmaster doesn't allow you to fail more than 20% of your credits (thats two); is that true? And if so will i be kicked out for failing more than two courses but keeping the 3.5 average?