MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wrongfully kicked out? doesitmatter Academics 2 09-22-2010 10:28 PM
will i be kicked out? manap3000 Academics 10 04-30-2010 07:20 PM
Will I get kicked out? don.999 Academics 11 09-02-2009 06:20 AM
Getting kicked out of residence ppppp Residence & Housing 43 08-19-2009 02:37 PM
Am I Going to Get Kicked Out of Mac?? please help hablagen Academics 34 05-30-2009 05:15 PM

Kicked out of University?

Old 01-29-2010 at 05:10 PM   #1
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Kicked out of University?
Ok guys, I'm really freaking out here about something I found out today... here's the situation;

I applied to the MoMac program last year, and was accepted in mid-late May (I assume I was waitlisted), my grades from Pre-Health at Niagara College were sent as the basis for my admission, I believe my final average was 83% for the year of pre-health.

I have been in the program now since September, and have been working very hard, I actually got an A in Psych, and B+ in my PBL, Clinical and elective courses last semester.
I was speaking with a few fellow students who had been waived from doing their electives, and they told me to try to get credit for schooling I had done in the US. So I emailed Martha Davis to find out what I would have to do to see about getting any credit for US university courses since my acceptance was on the basis of my pre-health. She emailed me (as well as Brenda Campbell) back saying she was under the impression that students with University experience could not use pre-health as their basis for admission. At this point I called Brenda Campbell.

I graduated highschool in Wisconsin, and did a semester of University there, but only gained 9 credits of university courses, none of which had any health care related fields. I took one class that was related to my Major at that time, didnt do well in it, and realized it wasn't what interested me so I dropped the program. That is when I moved back to Canada, and after a year or so living here, applied for Pre-Health at Niagara, solely because I wanted to get into Mcmaster for the Nursing. (I did pre-health at Niagara because I was already living in St. Catharines, otherwise I would have done it at Mohawk).
When I applied to MoMac however, I didn't send in my transcript from the University of Wisconsin, but I didn't do this intentionally or to trick anybody.
I realize now that my University transcript should have been sent with my application, even though at my time of application I didn't realize that. No other college that I had applied for previously wanted anything about my US schooling, and almost wouldn't accept my US highschool diploma, I was told that US credit doesn't transfer to Canada.
For this reason, I believed that my pre-health would be my basis for admission then into the BScN program for September 2009.
I also know when I was looking at McMaster and Mohawk's websites about admission requirements when I was applying, it says that pre-health students with university background cannot use pre-health for admission, however when I then looked at the university requirements, it says you must have a minimum of 12 credits to apply. I didn't have those 12 credits however, I only had 9 (again, from the US)... so I thought in my situation, my pre-health would be sufficient since it was the only Canadian post-secondary education I had, and I had completed the requirements for admission based on it.

Brenda Campbell is now telling me this was 'dishonesty' and that my acceptance would have been revoked... she directed me to start speaking with my associate dean (Mary Guise) about what was going to be done now.
Needless to say, I'm freaking out a little bit about what is going to happen to me now in this program to be hoenst. I'm scared that I'm going to be kicked out for 'dishonest application' as Brenda had put it, I am fine with not getting any credit for my courses down there, I just don't want to lose my spot in this program because I worked so hard in pre-health to get here, and then to get my grades last semester, and so far this semester

has anybody heard of anyone in this situation before?
Or can anyone shed some light for me on what exactly the associate dean's job is, would she be the one who decides whether I stay in the program or not?
I spoke with a student advisor (Vicki Lewis) and she said she didn't think that they would take me out of the program but that she couldn't be sure and I would have to speak with Mary to be sure.

HELP :(
Old 01-29-2010 at 05:33 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I wish I could be of more help, but I think your situation is unique. I'm pretty sure if you explain the situation honestly to them they won't kick you out, but obviously that's not a guarantee. It just seems unlikely.

Vicki Lewis is very knowledgeable about the nursing programs at Mac, if she thought you were fine, you probably don't need to worry too much.
Old 01-29-2010 at 07:03 PM   #3
Charbs

Thanks Andrew, I wish I wasn't so worried about it. My boyfriend keeps telling me not to worry and that I won't get kicked out but when Brenda used the words dishonest and speaking with the associate dean, it got me all hyped up.
I mean, I had the grades from pre-health to get in, schools can't decide if they want to accept my US stuff or not, some schools do some don't, so I just decided to leave it out because I figured it wouldn't help at all... I'm kicking myself now for emailing Martha Davis asking about getting credit for past courses... frig...
teaches me that when people say 'whats the worst that can happen,... they say no?".... thats not the worst that could happen!
Old 01-29-2010 at 08:17 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't freak out too much. None of us can tell you for sure what's going to happen, only Mary Guise can. But I will tell you that the university is much more understanding and friendly than they seem. Talk to Mary in person and explain your situation. Be honest and tell her everything you said here. My guess is that she'd be able to work something out and everything will be okay. Academic advisors and administrative staff at the school come across a lot of these unique situations, and I doubt they'd have any trouble making it work for you.
Old 01-29-2010 at 08:35 PM   #5
Charbs

Well I emailed her before I wrote anything on here, and actually I pretty much copied what I said to her onto my post above to explain to you guys...
and at the end asked if she would be willing to set up a meeting with me Monday or sometime next week so I could talk to her in person, and I told her I just want to make sure it doesn't affect my place in the program and that I didn't want someone else to mention it to her (like I wasnt sure if Martha or Brenda would end up emailling her saying what to do about the situation).., I wanted to talk to her directly.
and yeah, obviously I knew no one could tell me what is going to happen for sure lol
but I was just looking for some guidance, or to see if anyone had heard of anyone having a similar problem, or to give me some info on whether or not it WOULD be my associate dean who would decide if they would kick me out or make any kind of a deal about this or what...

I know they are people tooa nd they understand mistakes, but when someone starts saying things about dishonesty and lying on your application, it kinda scares you, because sometimes universities would just be like "see ya"
Old 01-30-2010 at 12:05 AM   #6
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Im not sure 9 units of work is what they had in mind when they say "university background" If someone got 9 units of work at summer school you wouldnt say that about them, at least I wouldn't.

I wouldn't send any more emails though deal with them in person, its hard to be mean to peoples face.

If you have some profs that you can goto for backup that would be good.

Your getting good grades it seems so I wouldn't sweat it, thats my experience with McMaster. I get good grades and anything I have asked for that goes beyond the standard norms I have always recieved.